Arlington Tia Butler & Justin Surber

Holy Names Lauren Raemhild & ?

Holy Names B

West Seattle Karen Dean & Brendon Peterson

Vashon Chris Carter & Max Merchant

Lewis And Clark - Rigsby Faust

Mt Vernon

Samamish

Gig Harbor is Rachel, Reid and Katie Bass. It will mostly be Katie and Rachel, but Katie will have to miss one or two rounds.

Oh yeah, I'm judging. I believe the tournament is hiring Anjali Vats for at least one day.

can we hire her both days? she is by far the most qualified judge around.

Who do you mean by we Dakota? If Mercer wants to hire her, that might be doable. I asked tournament officials to hire her and they said it would be best to just have her come in as a clean judge on Saturday. I don't have any control over those decisions though.

Robby, when did you last talk to Jackie? She contacted me thinking it was last weekend but when I told her the actual dates she said never mind. That was last week sometime.

This is a clarification about the laptop rule for state. Here is the rule that will be in effect:

"The use of laptops only for the purpose of flowing and reading analytic arguments is permitted in CX debate."

If you have questions, post here or better yet, email me at sharris at holynames-sea dot org.

sharris

Who do you mean by we Dakota? If Mercer wants to hire her, that might be doable. I asked tournament officials to hire her and they said it would be best to just have her come in as a clean judge on Saturday. I don't have any control over those decisions though.

Robby, when did you last talk to Jackie? She contacted me thinking it was last weekend but when I told her the actual dates she said never mind. That was last week sometime.

sorry coove -i meant the community.

Finals was Mercer AP v. Bellingham J? (sorry can't remember the other initial)

I left before it was over.

Semis teams were Puyallup and St. Georges.

Teams in partial quarters were Arlington, Gig Harbor and Holy Names.

Finals was Mercer AP (aff) v Bellingham GJ

the decision was 3-0 Mercer

Joe LeDuc was first speaker

Quarters

Mercer Island AP (1) Bye

Bellingham GJ (2) (Aff) def. Holy Names (7) 3-0

St. Georges FL (4) (Aff) def. Gig Harbor (5) BC 3-0 Stokes, Orlob, Moore

Puyallup (3) def. Arlington (6) 3-0

Semi's

Bellingham GJ (2) def. Puyallup (3) 3-0

Mercer Island AP (1) def. St. Georges (Aff) FL 3-0 White, Johnson, Hoover

Finals

Mercer Island AP (Aff) (1) def. Bellingham GJ 3-0 Vats, Stokes, White

Speakers

1. Joe LeDuc

2. Dakota Alcantara-Camacho

3. Kayla Janyk

6. Roger Copenhaver

7. Katie Bass

8. Stephanie Permut

10. Rachel Cotton

Can anyone fill in the blanks please?

Edited by Guam

I did not stick around for the policy finals due to a prior commitment, but would have LOVED to see Bellingham GJ up against Mercer Is. AP. That round had to be good, as Kayla is the wittiest debater I have seen this year (semis 1AR had her claiming sado-masochistic fem = violence good to show the neg's feminism K lacked definition), and Stephanie and Dakota were hands down the best all around team I saw in out-rounds at Stanford in February.

Anyone out there have a summary they would not mind taking a few minutes to type in for us absentees?

Edited by knifehandstrike

Anyone out there have a summary they would not mind taking a few minutes to type in for us absentees?

Mercer broke a new affirmative; 1AC had the DOD buy opium poppies from Afghanistan to convert to biodiesel on United States grounds. This cuts off the Taliban's funding, which leads to war with China. A bunch of Hillman evidence about the merits of imagining war was read followed by Dakota making a buckshot noise and describing in explicit detail what it would feel like to be killed, kill, etc.

1NC was four off- framework, counterplan that had the United States project hegemony, which also lead to war, a Russia oil DA and T-incentives. Also some case cards about why speech acts are bad.

The block was basically everything read in the 1NC, Kayla took the disadvantage, framework, and the counterplan and Mitsu extended and read additional case cards.

2NR conceded the framework debate and went for the disadvantage/case.

The 2AC/1AR trick was that none of the negative's scenarios were necessarily applicable because they failed to engage in the aff's imagination of war vis-à-vis the plan. The round came down to whether or not the case cards that were read applied to the affirmative/ if a poor 2ar extension of one Nietzsche card adequately answered the DA.

Edited by Gentlemen
Dak, you can modify this post if something is incorrect. lolz.

I'm sure Dakota and other people watching the round could probably explain it in more depth than I could.

The aff had the military buy poppy fields in Afghanistan, which stopped terrorism. That causes a war with China, which is 'good.' There was some long and pretty descriptive evidence in the 1ac about what it felt like to kill someone and what it felt like to be killed yourself. Also it talked about imagination, and how the imagination of war would like... cause the impacts of the 1ac to happen? To be honest, I wasn't really sure of the function that part of the aff.

the 1nc was QPQ, instrumentality, an oil disad, a heg counterplan, and case - some churchill and martin evidence mostly about how speech acts destroy real change. The 2nr was the disad and cp.

Central Valley kids if you read this PM me ... I was wondering if you are uploading that video of the debate to the computer or not?

Thanks for the recap, Stephanie! Congrats to both the Mercer Island and Bellingham teams!

I understand that both Mercer teams are qualified for the TOC. Kayla and Mitsu are listed as partially qualed from B'ham. Any word on an at large bid for them? Anyone else from Washington make it into the tournament?

Thanks for the recap, Stephanie! Congrats to both the Mercer Island and Bellingham teams!

I understand that both Mercer teams are qualified for the TOC. Kayla and Mitsu are listed as partially qualed from B'ham. Any word on an at large bid for them? Anyone else from Washington make it into the tournament?

st georges fl applied for an at large