TheHempKid

What A Joke- Idah State Tourny

I think we can all agree that that hillcrest team taking first in A division is complete bul. Seriously this just proves the point that south east idaho is a freaking joke when it comes to actually debating. Most of the legit teams that should have been moving on did, they all got screwed over by stupid coms judges. I think that joey and hunter deserved to take the B spot, but even stil the good teams in B got screwed out. Centurys stupid novice team broke to sems, and the Willmor and Strauss made it to finals. It was seriously the most non responsive i have ever seen a team be. They and most of those who were in out rounds were terrible.

Any other opinions?

• Downvote 3

I think we can all agree that that hillcrest team taking first in A division is complete bul. Seriously this just proves the point that south east idaho is a freaking joke when it comes to actually debating. Most of the legit teams that should have been moving on did, they all got screwed over by stupid coms judges. I think that joey and hunter deserved to take the B spot, but even stil the good teams in B got screwed out. Centurys stupid novice team broke to sems, and the Willmor and Strauss made it to finals. It was seriously the most non responsive i have ever seen a team be. They and most of those who were in out rounds were terrible.

Any other opinions?

I'm not a big fan of what you're saying. While I agree that those Century novices probably got a little bit lucky in making it to semis, Willmore and Strauss have always been and were great competition last night. That final round was the final round that should have happened, and my condolences go to JW, for he should have had a shot as well...he deserves it.

See the other Idaho State thread for my feelings on A division.

ok, before the bashing begins congratulations are in order.

1. Joey and Hunter from what I've heard your round was epic. congrats division b state champs.

2. Weeden/Clovis, congrats on making it to quarters.

3. Disanza/Davis, congrats on making it to quarters.

4. Karen Wang, you gave an epic 1AR in that finals round, you should not have dropped to that team.

now, for the ranting.

first off, the judging pool in finals sucked. All the legit judges from the other side of the state left when their teams were eliminated. Centennial was in outrounds so they contributed good judges, but other than that the only judges left were comms. Jesus, two of the judges in the A division finals round were no-flow.

then, the century novice team breaks further than their A-team Disanza/Davis. I don't blame them for losing to Hunter and Joey at all, but what pisses me off is that after the round they still thoyght they are hot shit. TheHempKid and I have a problem with them. Their varsity does everything for them, they don't know how to cut a card, they debated novice division all year. But despite all this, they still think they are good debaters. If they just showed some humility I'd be cool with them, but they still think they are hot shit. All I can say is that they're in for a reality shock next year when they have to debate JV.

on the other hand, I have to say I got a chuckle out of them claiming that the States CP links into a politics DA based on Obama's political capital.

to talk about the A-division finals, all I can say is that the better debaters did not win. Karen and Kaitlin had some problems, but still they should not have lost.

what pisses me off most is that Hillcrest won that round on a giant sandbagging case dump in the block. Jesus Christ, new Solvency, Inherency, and Advantage Answers in the 2NC. Most of it was defense, but the two no flow judges in the round didn't know that. A win like this just validates this strategy of trying to sandbag the 1AR, which I think really does ruin the quality of debate. That round was everything I hate about Hillcrest, everything I hate about the Southeast Idaho judging pool, and really just didn't have the better debaters as the winner.

and then the one Hillcrest team I like, Larsen/Hammer, don't even break to finals.

I'm going to say though for all the tournaments problems, it was still worth me showing up as an alt. (even though I didn't get to debate). I got to flow a few legit (and a few hilarious) rounds.

Edited by highlandmike
  • Downvote 1

I would like to make it known that we didn't break because one of our judge's circled the incorrect team on the ballot. The tab room had us down as 4-2 (losing round 5 and 6) and we didn't break by 1 speaker, but when I got the ballots back I realized that our judge from round 5 wrote an RFD in favor of us but circled the other team. That would make us 5-1 (and 3rd seed I believe). I don't exactly blame my coach for this because it would have been difficult to notice this mistake during ballot review if you weren't actually in the round and knew what arguments were being ran by which teams. I really wish that judges cared enough to actually double check their ballots before ruining a team's chance at breaking at state their senior year.

"then, the century novice team breaks further than their A-team Disanza/Davis. I don't blame them for losing to Hunter and Joey at all, but what pisses me off is that after the round they still thoyght they are hot shit. TheHempKid and I have a problem with them. Their varsity does everything for them, they don't know how to cut a card, they debated novice division all year. But despite all this, they still think they are good debaters. If they just showed some humility I'd be cool with them, but they still think they are hot shit. All I can say is that they're in for a reality shock next year when they have to debate JV.

on the other hand, I have to say I got a chuckle out of them claiming that the States CP links into a politics DA based on Obama's political capital."

Pretty much the only point they really had in the entire round was that the states cant do it. i flowed them saying something like that but didnt catch exactly what they said. but they never brought it back up. On my flow they dropped the whole entire heg debate haha. we have hit them periodically throughout the year because we were novice too and they are the biggest dicks i've ever debated. the one kid with the long straight hair never reads any evidence he just bullshits his way out of everything and the judges buy it almost ever time it pisses me off. we hit them 4th round at state and he agreed with my topicality definition and they still won. Tell me how this works?

I would like to make it known that we didn't break because one of our judge's circled the incorrect team on the ballot. The tab room had us down as 4-2 (losing round 5 and 6) and we didn't break by 1 speaker, but when I got the ballots back I realized that our judge from round 5 wrote an RFD in favor of us but circled the other team. That would make us 5-1 (and 3rd seed I believe). I don't exactly blame my coach for this because it would have been difficult to notice this mistake during ballot review if you weren't actually in the round and knew what arguments were being ran by which teams. I really wish that judges cared enough to actually double check their ballots before ruining a team's chance at breaking at state their senior year.

Wow dude, that really, really sucks. That would have been a sweet finals round. You vs. Joey/Hunter.

Pretty much the only point they really had in the entire round was that the states cant do it. i flowed them saying something like that but didnt catch exactly what they said. but they never brought it back up. On my flow they dropped the whole entire heg debate haha. we have hit them periodically throughout the year because we were novice too and they are the biggest dicks i've ever debated. the one kid with the long straight hair never reads any evidence he just bullshits his way out of everything and the judges buy it almost ever time it pisses me off. we hit them 4th round at state and he agreed with my topicality definition and they still won. Tell me how this works?

You don't need to announce your flow skills to the world. Any dipshit could tell that Hunter won. And everyone has had their fair share of illegit rounds, nobody cares about a novice team at state losing to another novice team at state. Both of which probably shouldnt have been there.

Speaking of illegit rounds...

we debated Hillcrest in prelims...8 minutes of inherency and solvency turns in the 2NC...plus they extended and expanded all their off-case in the 1NR. The worst of it was that the judge wasn't cool w/ speed, but with 8 minutes of new shit in the block plus the ongoing off-case debate my 1AR had to be 5 minutes of spreading.

We still lost somehow after

1. strait turning all of their off-case

2. Having them 3 carded on the solvency flow

3. winning inherency (i've seriously never been in an inherency debate before this tournament, i can't believe someone actually had the balls...or stupidity to run it)

3. their poor analysis in the 2NR.

4. Them having no relevent fucking impacts

Fuck eastern idaho judges and fuck eastern idaho debate style, theres a reason the rest of idaho, and the rest of the country for that matter evolved from this 60's bullshit.

Edited by Mike1669

You don't need to announce your flow skills to the world. Any dipshit could tell that Hunter won. And everyone has had their fair share of illegit rounds, nobody cares about a novice team at state losing to another novice team at state. Both of which probably shouldnt have been there.

Dude all i was saying is that on my flow thats what i had at the end. anyone that though joey and hunter lost is an idiot i wasnt trying to say it was close or anything. i just thought i'd give a little more detail than "Joey and Hunter kicked ass." or something. and i didnt say anyone cared, i was more refering to how shitty the judges were. And just because we are novice doesnt mean we didnt deserve to be there. i worked my ass off all year working to just get there so please dont dis on us. i worked just as hard as everyone else that was there.

Tell me how this works?

comms judges. the southeast idaho judging pool sucks. so when we all come back to judge after graduating, we all have to be tab.

Another problem that I had with the tournament was the pairing setup. They preset all 6 rounds instead of power matching the last 3. That's the reason why there were so many teams with high win records that probably shouldn't have.

comms judges. the southeast idaho judging pool sucks. so when we all come back to judge after graduating, we all have to be tab.

She said she was a tab judge!!! she was some chick from the boise area!! thats why i dont understand how they could have won when they completly agreed with my topicality definition

Speaking of illegit rounds...

we debated Hillcrest in prelims...8 minutes of inherency and solvency turns in the 2NC...plus they extended and expanded all their off-case in the 1NR. The worst of it was that the judge wasn't cool w/ speed, but with 8 minutes of new shit in the block plus the ongoing off-case debate my 1AR had to be 5 minutes of spreading.

We still lost somehow after

1. strait turning all of their off-case

2. Having them 3 carded on the solvency flow

3. winning inherency (i've seriously never been in an inherency debate before this tournament, i can't believe someone actually had the balls...or stupidity to run it)

3. their poor analysis in the 2NR.

4. Them having no relevent fucking impacts

Fuck eastern idaho judges and fuck eastern idaho debate style, theres a reason the rest of idaho, and the rest of the country for that matter evolved from this 60's bullshit.

dude, its not just really an eastern idaho thing. some western teams contribute the same bad judges as hillcrest. linseys mom was judging this tournement for capital. and we brought chad smith for fuck sakes. although he doesnt fall into the incompetent catagory, its still chad.

but honestly, Teton should be banned from debate for that disrespectful fuck that they brought as a judge. he doesnt listen to any debates, and doesnt flow, and gets up and walks around during speeches. PAY THE FUCK ATTENTION AT LEAST!!! what a cock juggling thunder cunt.

and id like to say that even though the judges were shitty, the real problem was the tab room. by not caring about policy debate, they didnt check any panels, they refused to listen to lagit complaints from coaches, they only evaluated the IDC when a western team violated. if your going to make me conform and play by your rules, at least make it reciprocal. anything less just isnt fair.

Edited by BrandonWeedon
  • Upvote 1

Another problem that I had with the tournament was the pairing setup. They preset all 6 rounds instead of power matching the last 3. That's the reason why there were so many teams with high win records that probably shouldn't have.

ya, thats iffs for sure. i mean its called a tournement for a reason.

She said she was a tab judge!!! she was some chick from the boise area!! thats why i dont understand how they could have won when they completly agreed with my topicality definition

thats another problem, judges will hardcore lie in their paradigm. You get tab judges that are secretly comms, comms judges who are secretly stock issues, and lay judges who don't know what the fuck they are.

that's why when I ask for paradigm, I always ask for experience with debate.

unless they answer that they actually debated in high school or college, I always adapt my speeches for lay/comms.

I'm done with Idaho High-School Debate forever, so I'm just going to let it rot in the cesspool it has created for itself. For those who got shafted and wanted to do well (JW, possibly others who I haven't heard about yet), I'm sorry that you had to experience this as the culmination of your debate career. You deserved better.

Yeah. You should've done better as well. We had some pretty legit rounds out of state this year.

I'm done with Idaho High-School Debate forever, so I'm just going to let it rot in the cesspool it has created for itself. For those who got shafted and wanted to do well (JW, possibly others who I haven't heard about yet), I'm sorry that you had to experience this as the culmination of your debate career. You deserved better.

Also, if a certain Dan Barret ever happens to read this, I just have to say, thank you for informing me that I need to "where" a suit. Also, I'll try and have less "lawyered" and more "collegiate" language when I "Ask [my] opponents how they're doing". Fuck you.

im guessing this is max. Your record was bullshit. You deserved better as well.

I would agree that wang/charles should have picked up. the debate was crap except for karen's 1ar. undoubtedly the best speech of the round. Karen was obviously the best debater. 2 of the judges in that round sucked. hemp kid pretty fun shit when that black/brown guy was our judge. the teton coach sux. He has no clue what the heck is happening. What a joke/tragedy that the judging pool sucked so bad. btw thanx highland mike for not ripping on me and kaiser.

btw thanx highland mike for not ripping on me and kaiser.

it's cause you're LEGIT Az

so much that it warrants caps and underlining

Edited by highlandmike

I would agree that wang/charles should have picked up. the debate was crap except for karen's 1ar. undoubtedly the best speech of the round. Karen was obviously the best debater. 2 of the judges in that round sucked. hemp kid pretty fun shit when that black/brown guy was our judge. the teton coach sux. He has no clue what the heck is happening. What a joke/tragedy that the judging pool sucked so bad. btw thanx highland mike for not ripping on me and kaiser.

That debate just sucked so bad, even a legit judge might have had to gone out into the hallway and flipped a coin. Regardless, that hillcrest team shouldnt have made it that far anyway. Btw Az, and pass it on to kaiser, thanks for a good debate, our ballet's illegible, but w/e. You two both juniors?