mfincher

Richard B. Russell All-State (April 17-18)

Who's eligible so far? Which team is each school sending? Isn't NDCA that weekend too? We've earned 2 bids (I know only one matters) for the first time since I started coaching here: Lincoln County and Milton. Unless things change, we're sending our top team as always, Rab & Yilma.

Officially Qualified Schools:

1. Alpharetta
  2. Calhoun
  3. Carrollton
  4. Chattahoochee
  5. Fayette County
  6. GACS
  7. Grady
  8. Lakeside-Atlanta
  9. Lincoln County
  10. Milton
  11. Northview
  12. Pace Academy
  13. Trion
  14. Warner Robins
  15. Westminster

Edited by Policy8806

It's sad to put the All-state opposite the NDCA, whatever. Good luck and have fun, everyone. If I ever live in GA again, I'd like to come judge this tournament sometime.

• Upvote 1

It's sad to put the All-state opposite the NDCA, whatever. Good luck and have fun, everyone. If I ever live in GA again, I'd like to come judge this tournament sometime.

Scu, I hope that you don't think that this was a case of, "Oh, so what that the NDCA is that weekend. We're going to put Allstate there anyway." It definitely wasn't intentional. . . it was just a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing (or the Georgia circuit not knowing what the national circuit was doing), and by the time everyone realized that they were on the same weekend (I don't think that I knew until I saw Matt's post), it was too late to make changes. (If you've been planning all year around that particular weekend, yes. . . six weeks is too late to make changes IMO.) Traditonally, NDCA has been the weekend before Allstate (I just looked this up. . . wondered why we'd never had a conflict before); this year, that didn't happen. . . I would think because that would have put it on Easter weekend. I've already communicated with Jenny Heidt about next year and our making sure that we know the dates in time to make sure that Mike Hester knows the dates so that we can collectively make sure that the two don't conflict.

Remember. . . if you're (a) connected with a non-national circuit program or (B) the coach of a college program, the NDCA tournament isn't really on your radar. Allstate has been on the debate calendar for April 17-18 since the beginning of August, but no one who does go to the NDCA spoke up to say, "Wait a minute. . . that's NDCA weekend. Can we change Allstate?" (If anyone did, I don't know about it, anyway.) If someone had, then I would think that the change could have been made quite easily. (For the record, I have nothing to do with the scheduling of the date. . . just hypothesizing.)

I know that I probably sound/am defensive, but I just feel as if those who are responsible for Allstate are being semi-accused of just blowing off NDCA when that isn't the case at all.

Playing Devil's Advocate here.... NDCA dates were announced on June 20, 2008 -- probably before the All State/Georgia calendar. :D

EDIT/PREEMPT: But I agree with most of Lee's post. :)

Playing Devil's Advocate here.... NDCA dates were announced on June 20, 2008 -- probably before the All State/Georgia calendar. :D

EDIT/PREEMPT: But I agree with most of Lee's post. :)

True. . . but I don't know how many Georgia coaches who don't compete in national circuit tournaments got that word. Speaking only for myself here, I know that the NDCA hosts this tournament, and (now that I've looked back at past dates) I know that I've never really considered going because (a) it's not in our budget at this point in the year and (B) it's traditionally at the end of our spring break. Thus, it basically isn't on my radar.

So, Jeff. . . if you knew that long ago that they were the same weekend, why didn't you drop me an email after you saw the Allstate dates on the Georgia calendar? :D You know that if this had been brought to my attention back in August, I'd have been a good secretary and communicated with all parties involved to see about getting Allstate changed.

When is final registration and what time does the party (first round) get started Friday?

Registration - 230pm-4pm Friday (if you can't be at the hotel by 4pm

but will be there in time for Round 1, just let Hester know)

Schedule -

Round 1 Friday - 430pm

Round 2 Friday - 630pm

**Dinner Free Pizza and cola provided for debaters** - 815pm

Round 3 Friday - 915pm

Round 4 Saturday - 8am

Round 5 Saturday - 1030am

**Awards Luncheon** - 1pm

Final Round - 230pm

And, Bracknell did announce today that there will be a Coaches Meeting Friday night. Instructions will be given there as to where specifically the meeting will be held.

Scu, I hope that you don't think that this was a case of, "Oh, so what that the NDCA is that weekend. We're going to put Allstate there anyway." It definitely wasn't intentional. . . it was just a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing (or the Georgia circuit not knowing what the national circuit was doing), and by the time everyone realized that they were on the same weekend (I don't think that I knew until I saw Matt's post), it was too late to make changes. (If you've been planning all year around that particular weekend, yes. . . six weeks is too late to make changes IMO.) Traditonally, NDCA has been the weekend before Allstate (I just looked this up. . . wondered why we'd never had a conflict before); this year, that didn't happen. . . I would think because that would have put it on Easter weekend. I've already communicated with Jenny Heidt about next year and our making sure that we know the dates in time to make sure that Mike Hester knows the dates so that we can collectively make sure that the two don't conflict.

Remember. . . if you're (a) connected with a non-national circuit program or (B) the coach of a college program, the NDCA tournament isn't really on your radar. Allstate has been on the debate calendar for April 17-18 since the beginning of August, but no one who does go to the NDCA spoke up to say, "Wait a minute. . . that's NDCA weekend. Can we change Allstate?" (If anyone did, I don't know about it, anyway.) If someone had, then I would think that the change could have been made quite easily. (For the record, I have nothing to do with the scheduling of the date. . . just hypothesizing.)

I know that I probably sound/am defensive, but I just feel as if those who are responsible for Allstate are being semi-accused of just blowing off NDCA when that isn't the case at all.

Sorry, that wasn't what I meant to be saying. I meant it is a shame that some debaters will have to chose. Not because I feel it is anyone's fault. I don't have anything to do with the planning of either of these tournaments, and don't know any specifics that would lead me to blame anyone except for a bureaucratic issue that happens with coordinating a national activity through various committees and personalities. I *am* amazingly happy to hear that proactive things are being done to make sure it doesn't happen next year. I should have said something like, "It's sad these tournaments are opposite each other." Which is something I think most people would agree with, right?

I did not believe there was intentional malice against the NDCA or something weird like that. Or vice versa.

And good luck everyone!

I should have said something like, "It's sad these tournaments are opposite each other." Which is something I think most people would agree with, right?

Yes, definitely. :)

Calhoun BL (Aff) vs. Grady HL (Neg) -- Bottoms, K.

Carrollton EM (Aff) vs. Milton AP (Neg) -- Koehle, J.

Chattahoochee KR (Aff) vs. Trion MW (Neg) -- Wilkins, K.

Fayette DW (Aff) vs. Lakeside LW (Neg) --Spiegel, J.

GACS RY (Aff) vs. Northview JY (Neg) -- Simonis, S.

Warner Robins NW (Aff) vs. Lincoln Co. DH (Neg) -- Strother, Z.

Westminster KS (Aff) vs. Alpharetta SS (Neg) -- Vevoda, L.

This round is power-matched off the previous round, hi-low w/in brackets, according to Dr. Hester, so not your typical power-matching.

Alpharetta SS (Aff) vs. Fayette Co. DW (Neg) -- Ulrich, A.

Grady HL (Aff) vs. Carrollton EM (Neg) -- Smiley, A.

Lakeside LW (Aff) vs. Warner Robins NW (Neg) -- Bearden, L.

Lincoln Co. DH (Aff) vs. Hooch KR (Neg) -- Willoughby, L.

Milton AP (Aff) vs. GACS RY (Neg) -- Lundeen, G.

Northview JY (Aff) vs. Calhoun BL (Neg) -- Vevoda, L.

Trion MW (Aff) vs. Westminster KS (Neg) -- Pelham, TG

Same type of power-matching as round 3 above.

Alpharetta SS (Aff) vs. Carrollton EM (Neg) -- Bagwell, D.

Hooch KR (Aff) vs. Calhoun BL (Neg) -- Lundeen, G.

Fayette Co. DW (Aff) vs. Warner Robins NW (Neg) --Koehle, J.

Grady HL (Aff) vs. GACS RY (Neg) --Grellinger

Lakeside LW (Aff) vs. Trion MW (Neg) -- Bottoms, K.

Milton AP (Aff) vs. Northview JY (Neg) -- Bearden, L.

Westminster KS (Aff) vs. Lincoln DH (Neg) -- Kunzelman, C.

Records

GACS is currently 4-0.

Hooch, Calhoun, Grady, Milton, and Northview are all currently 3-1.

I don't know about anybody else.

GACS wins last prelim against Grady and advances to the finals with a 5-0 record.

Last finals spot goes to either the winner of Calhoun vs. Hooch or the winner of Milton vs. Northview. We'll find out at lunch!

Hooch KR (Aff) vs. GACS (RY)

Teams Winning Awards

3. Northview JY--Francis Jin & Ryan Yan; 4-1

4. Grady HL--John Holland & Minh Lam; 3-2

5. Alpharetta SS--Neil Sethi & Ricardo Saenz; 3-2

Speaker Awards

1. Fayzan Rab!!! GACS

2. John Holland Grady

3. Matt Rosenthal Hooch

4. Minh Lam Grady

5. Trusha Daya Fayette Co.

6. Kate Leggett Calhoun