Sign in to follow this  
BrandonWeedon

culture jamming

who knows anything about culture jamming?

other than it was a fad in the 90s with freestyle walking?

I remember reading culture jam thinking its a good start for kids who are never going to pick up decent theory.

Its pretty poorly written for a critique and it usual lacks warrantable cards.

other than it was a fad in the 90s with freestyle walking?

I remember reading culture jam thinking its a good start for kids who are never going to pick up decent theory.

Its pretty poorly written for a critique and it usual lacks warrantable cards.

I've heard of this too. I know its probably shit but where can I find it?

I've heard of this too. I know its probably shit but where can I find it?

...culture jamming is a process. It was a technique deployed by a group that called themselves ad busters that disrupted things like consumerism and dominant social behavior. It is very similar to guerilla communication forms.

In debate, it is often used as an alternative to things like consumption kritiks or used to argue how we need to disrupt mainstream policy making by culture jamming. In Princen's 1999 book Confronting Consumption has a chapter devoted to adbusters and culture jamming. You can probably find muse articles about culture jamming as well. The person above you is sort of right that it did start in the 90s. It used to be some what popular in debate but kinda has phased out recently.

...culture jamming is a process. It was a technique deployed by a group that called themselves ad busters that disrupted things like consumerism and dominant social behavior. It is very similar to guerilla communication forms.

In debate, it is often used as an alternative to things like consumption kritiks or used to argue how we need to disrupt mainstream policy making by culture jamming. In Princen's 1999 book Confronting Consumption has a chapter devoted to adbusters and culture jamming. You can probably find muse articles about culture jamming as well. The person above you is sort of right that it did start in the 90s. It used to be some what popular in debate but kinda has phased out recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Jam-Americas-Suicidal-Binge/dp/0688178057

the argument kind of sucks because it pretty much offers vague DIY localism as the alternative. not that theres anything wrong with that.

A decent example of the nihilism of culture jamming, watch a documentary on Rev. Billy and the Stop Shopping Gospel Choir.