Niloc

California State

I haven't seen anything unusual yet.

Anyone know what the hotshot 2-0 teams are running?

how are you doing nick?

I finished 2-2. Could have done better but I'm not exactly depressed.

On an interesting side note, I have it on good information that ten of the top twelve teams are apparently from Area 1. Regional discrepancy much? How are we going to alleviate this issue of the strongest teams being concentrated in the Bay Area and everyone else simply not having the opportunity to debate those good teams more often to get better?

The team I hit round 3 (St Francis AP) beat me on a 2-1 despite the fact that I broke a new affirmative that has literally never been run before, ever. (Check my wiki page). NOBODY in my league/region could ever do that. They would get up there and have nothing to say.

I was under the impression that case turns were the only viable strategy at this tournament, so I went with something they wouldn't be ready for. But St. Francis used sheer rhetorical persuasion in a way that I've never seen done before. They might not have been winning from a flow standpoint, but they knew how to debate and they were comfortable at their own game. The problem is that this was the first time I've had a team do that to me. Maybe if there were debaters in my league who could debate like that, I could have had some practice and have been more prepared. But I don't have it. So it's a self perpetuating cycle where the weak areas remain weak while the strong areas stay strong and dominate the state tournament. It doesn't help that the pairings are designed to avoid pairing up teams from the same area early on, which makes it almost a given that the strongest teams never hit each other, stacking the field for the strongest region.

I don't know. Just my thoughts.

The team I hit round 3 (St Francis AP) beat me on a 2-1 despite the fact that I broke a new affirmative that has literally never been run before, ever. (Check my wiki page). NOBODY in my league/region could ever do that. They would get up there and have nothing to say.

you ran an aff with an interesting solvency mechanism but extremely (EXTREMELY) generic advantage ground. anyone that couldn't think of anything to say against it should really consider putting in more effort than printing off camp files

actually, even a team that puts in no effort would (should) still have plenty to say

On an interesting side note, I have it on good information that ten of the top twelve teams are apparently from Area 1. Regional discrepancy much? How are we going to alleviate this issue of the strongest teams being concentrated in the Bay Area and everyone else simply not having the opportunity to debate those good teams more often to get better?

I was under the impression that case turns were the only viable strategy at this tournament, so I went with something they wouldn't be ready for. But St. Francis used sheer rhetorical persuasion in a way that I've never seen done before. They might not have been winning from a flow standpoint, but they knew how to debate and they were comfortable at their own game. The problem is that this was the first time I've had a team do that to me. Maybe if there were debaters in my league who could debate like that, I could have had some practice and have been more prepared. But I don't have it. So it's a self perpetuating cycle where the weak areas remain weak while the strong areas stay strong and dominate the state tournament. It doesn't help that the pairings are designed to avoid pairing up teams from the same area early on, which makes it almost a given that the strongest teams never hit each other, stacking the field for the strongest region.

what were the advantages nick?

QUARTERS

BYE - Bellarmine Rafey/Vijay

St. Francis Parekh/Ramesh d La Costa Canyon Braman/McCarthy

Bellarmine Bonilla/Sun d. St. Francis Parikh/Arora

Bellarmine Deshmukh/Srinivasan d. Gunn Kahn/Li

SEMIS (started at 1pm)

Bellarmine Rafey/Vijay vs Bellarmine Bonilla/Sun

St. Francis Parekh/Ramesh vs Bellarmine Deshmukh/Srinivasan

What teams are expected to do well this year?

Bellarmine

QFA

QUARTERS

SEMIS (started at 1pm)

SHOCKING!!!

In all seriousness...major congrats to Bellarmine. Someday, the rest of us will figure out debating with lays. Also, congrats to St. Francis, Gunn, and La Costa.

Bellarmine closes out

Rafey/Vijay d. Bonilla/Sun

Deshmukh/Srinivasan d. Ramesh/Parekh

Congratulations to all.

QUARTERS

SEMIS (started at 1pm)

Edited by hkhhs

Bellarmine closes out

Congratulations to all.

domination

Bellarmine closes out

Congratulations to all.

Who was aff is the Bell vs. St. Francis round? What was the aff?

St. Francis AP lost to a Bellarmine freshman team at league...

• Downvote 1

St Francis AP also defeated most of my varsity teams at various tournaments of this season and if I'm not mistaken got a Bid at Gonzaga. It is also quite apparent from these results that they can more than hold their own in slow rounds. And they are only sophomores...

Very strong region 1 showing. At least 80% of the teams left by round 6 were Area 1, Logan, St. Vincent, Gunn, Bellarmine, St. Francis... Way to Represent.

FYI results are on joyoftournaments now http://www.joyoftournaments.com/ca/chssa/2009/

Red herring; one loss doesn't actually change the fact Region I is still consistently overpowering II/III/IV.

St Francis AP also defeated most of my varsity teams at various tournaments of this season and if I'm not mistaken got a Bid at Gonzaga. It is also quite apparent from these results that they can more than hold their own in slow rounds. And they are only sophomores...

Very strong region 1 showing. At least 80% of the teams left by round 6 were Area 1, Logan, St. Vincent, Gunn, Bellarmine, St. Francis... Way to Represent.

they have been consistently 3-1 at all league tournaments. They won UoP, and obviously did well here. As kozakura says, this speaks a little louder.

Part of the area 1 experience is, I think, that there's simply a very large emphasis on communicating with laypersons. Not to stereotype, but there's a difference between just reading your regular circuit affirmative at less wpm (ahem damien) and really structuring an accessible "story". For some, there's a difference between an argument being right, or even good, and it being attractive to vote for. Hopefully, it's all three of these.

• Downvote 1

Red herring; one loss doesn't actually change the fact Region I is still consistently overpowering II/III/IV.

And my statement had nothing to do with that point - as obviously notable, Bellarmine is in the same league as that team so saying that St. Francis AP dropped to someone in their league has absolutely no relevance to a CA regional comparison.

Overall, though, your remarks seem a bit overblown. I don't see any cause for concern that the strongest regions unsurprisingly have the strongest results at State. Rather than a regional disparity this touches upon the advantages of stronger schools. Upon this, however, we can easily note that schools rise and fall over the years, and that there isn't necessarily any dynastic permanence.

Saint Francis AP qualled to the TOC at berkeley after thier first bid at stanford.

congrats chander, and obviously bellarmine for a great accomplisment!

• Downvote 1

Congrats to St Francis and Bellarmine. It was a pleasure debating St Francis in quarters; Chander and Sejal are both awesome speakers.

• Upvote 1

Congrats to St Francis and Bellarmine. It was a pleasure debating St Francis in quarters; Chander and Sejal are both awesome speakers.

...and so sweet. :)

I don't see any cause for concern that the strongest regions unsurprisingly have the strongest results at State. Rather than a regional disparity this touches upon the advantages of stronger schools. Upon this, however, we can easily note that schools rise and fall over the years, and that there isn't necessarily any dynastic permanence.

"...the strongest regions...". Questionable. It's hard to tell how well other regions might have done if they had brought their best teams. California qualified 13 teams to the TOC. 2 went to State. Both of those teams were in Semi's.