Niloc

BYU Debate

I am interested in doing debate as well but I did PFD...I was really sad to find out that BYU didn't have a debate team...I almost went elsewhere but I decided that BYU as more pros than the other colleges I was looking at.

It doesn't look like a policy team is going to happen. It was looking good, but it just never got off the ground. You should check out the parli club that's here at BYU. Good luck

hey connor do you know the sponsor for the Parli club and whether or not they are traveling this year on the national circuit?

the problem so far has been 1. no funding, 2. travel restrictions, 3. male/female logistical issues.

So can we expect this idea to just die, or is there still hope for a team this year?

Does anybody know who is in charge of the parli program. They had a team last year, but it appears they've fallen off the map.

So I'm guessing there's not going to be any response to the question of how to get involved in debate at BYU?? I did speech and debate all throughout high school and was upset when I couldn't find any opportunities to continue here, but if there are I would love any lead any of you could provide! Please! (:

If any of you know of any development on the whole getting a debate team going at BYU please post back and let me know! Thanks!

Bump...Sounds like there might be a debate team at BYU this year. I'm trying to get more information, but I've heard that the "team" has been recently reorganized and they want to do some policy debate. I'll keep you posted.

So the situation right now is that there are a bunch of us who would like to debate at BYU, but they're having trouble finding a department who will sponsor us. That's one hurdle right now. Also, the school will not allow us to compete on Sundays, which pretty much destroys any chance of competing in out-rounds of tournaments. So we're trying, but there are some issues to be resolved.

So the situation right now is that there are a bunch of us who would like to debate at BYU, but they're having trouble finding a department who will sponsor us. That's one hurdle right now. Also, the school will not allow us to compete on Sundays, which pretty much destroys any chance of competing in out-rounds of tournaments. So we're trying, but there are some issues to be resolved.

Out rounds are generally mostly on mondays. Sundays are for the second half of prelims and some outrounds at smaller tournaments.