Sign in to follow this  
jmiller

Georgia Southern Peach Districts (March 6-7)

Fayette's sign up- 21 kids.

2 Policy

4 PF

3 LD

1 DUO

4 IX

4 DX

2 DI

2 HI

3 OO

Bringing Home Sweepstakes! :)

I'll be there Saturday...

For those that remember Jaklyn [my partner senior year]-- she should be there judging for us!

Edited by Policy8806

Oh, I have no doubt that filling 29 is tough. . . the jury is still out on whether we'll fill our 15.

The jury is in. . . we will. (Actually, I have enough people that we could have filled more slots.)

Duo

Amanda Broom/Kayla Lyons

Lauren Dill/Roxanne Ware

Danielle Donnelly/Donquita Williams

PF

TJ Carani/Kyrstie Scales

Taylor Dukes/Kristen Freeman

DI

Jennifer Dandron

Donquita Williams

HI

Elizabeth Aaron

Kentrell Norman

DeVante Starks

USX

TJ Carani

Jennifer Dandron

OO

Kyrstie Scales

LD

Elizabeth Aaron

Carrie McCauley

No entries in policy or FX.

No entries in policy or FX.

Wow... looks like the Southern District will only be sending 2 teams this year. :(

which if thats the case, I will not put in two fillers. They'll be in PF-- where a filler actually has a shot.

Let's see:

4 Carrollton

4 WR

3-4 Northside

4 Houston Co

2-4 Fayette

There's 16-18 teams.

Starr's Mill, MCA, Jasper, Columbus, Westover usually have some fillers... but 12? Looks like we'll have more PF teams... :(

[[onto prepping NCLB.]]

Edited by Policy8806

Wow... looks like the Southern District will only be sending 2 teams this year. :(

I think that was going to be the case, anyway, due to general lack of numbers. My students wanted to do other things, and I just didn't see using four of my fifteen entries to try to expand an event that probably won't have thirty entries, anyway.

We hope to be sending some teams there next weekend. I dont know how many but atleast one hopefully.

Everything is supposed to be submitted by 4:00 P. M. today, so I hope that things are more certain than that by now. :)

so uh, i just found out that districts are at hoco.

and that it was assumed that i knew, and would be helping out.

which i will do, gladly.

it's just that i had no idea what was going on in the debate world as of late and was thrown back into it in about 30 seconds.

i guess that's how these things work.

Hey, everybody!! Districts are at HoCo!!! Come join us because we totally need judges!!

OK, now everyone knows. :D

*Makes mental note to do some Facebook messaging*

Hey, everybody!! Districts are at HoCo!!! Come join us because we totally need judges!!

OK, now everyone knows. :D

*Makes mental note to do some Facebook messaging*

Did it already happen and if so, who qualed in policy? By the way, if you remember me hello to you as well. Hope all is well, later.

Policy

1st - Warner Robins AW [undefeated]

2nd - Carrollton EM [drop to WR]

1st Alt - Fayette DR [drop to Cton x2]

2nd Alt - Fayette AW [drop to Cton & WR]

Final Round

Carrollton (aff) d. Fayette DR 2-1 [Warren, Brock, Watson*]

Aff was Carbon Tax. 2AR was Condo Bad. 2NR was Ban CTL [warming adv cp], LOST, and case. It should have been Deep Eco though.

WR (aff) d. Fayette AW 3-0 [Hatton, Robinson, Wilkins]

Aff was ITER. 2NR was Music/HipHop K.

LD

1st - Fayette EB

2nd - Starr's Mill MH

PF

1st - Carrollton IS

2nd - SW Dekalb

1st Alt - Fayette BC

Edited by Policy8806

There's 16-18 teams.

Starr's Mill, MCA, Jasper, Columbus, Westover usually have some fillers... but 12? Looks like we'll have more PF teams... :(

[[onto prepping NCLB.]]

Was COLUMBUS really there???

No.

Sadly, there were only 10 policy teams I think.

It's truly sad to see more Domestic Extempers than Policy Teams in one of the strongest states for Debate.

No.

Sadly, there were only 10 policy teams I think.

It's truly sad to see more Domestic Extempers than Policy Teams in one of the strongest states for Debate.

Note: the following post is coming from Lee Robinson the coach, not Lee Robinson the GFCA officer or Lee Robinson the district committee member. I don't think that I'm saying anything particularly controversial, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that I'm not speaking for either of those bodies.

Actually, there were 12 policy teams. I think that the dropoff from our usual number is a little bit misleading, though; normally, because it's not a huge stretch to get to 30 teams, schools will throw in less solid policy teams (or pairs of students who are willing to give policy a try for a couple of rounds, at least) in order to make it to that number. This year, though, that wasn't going to happen. . . so some of us who normally do help to prop up the policy numbers didn't bother to this year. (We didn't enter anyone in policy; Carrollton entered only one team. If we had chosen to use more of our entries that way this year in the way that we usually do, we'd have been at nearly 20.)

Also, speaking for my own situation, my number of slots was WAY down from last year because I lost so much chapter strength at graduation. . . I didn't have as much flexibility to put students in events that they truly wanted to compete in and/or where we needed numbers even more (I think that the only other event in which weren't dead on the minimum number on entries was PF with 12 teams) AND to put them in policy. I used my max number of entries but there's only so much that one can do with 15 of them. That said, there may be other schools who for economic reasons aren't traveling as much, don't have as great a chapter strength, and couldn't enter as many students.

That said, another factor is some of the schools that weren't there and/or are no longer active in either NFL or policy in our district. Thinking about schools that competed five years ago or less that no longer have active programs or who just weren't there this weekend. . . TCC no longer has a program. Perry no longer has a program. McIntosh HS (not MCA, who had too many conflicts with state academic team this weekend to bring students) no longer competes. Cairo wasn't there. Policy may be alive and well in metro Atlanta (and in a few schools outside that region), but the simple fact is that policy just isn't that strong anywhere else south of I-20 besides Fayette County (and in only one school there now with the exception of the few Sandy Creek kids who compete in policy), Houston County (with three schools that debate), and Carrollton. I wish that I could see that changing (just as I wish that I could see things changing east of Atlanta and Gainesville. . . things are really dead over in my neck of the woods), but I think that it's going to take a lot of effort that most don't have the time to put in to make that happen. It's a Catch-22. . . in order for schools to be able to get involved in policy, they need programs and tournaments nearby to make competing economical. Because those programs don't already exist, new ones don't start. The dearth of one-day tournaments doesn't help the situation, either. . . it's easier for a program to begin building when going to a tournament involves simply paying a tourney bill and not having to pay a hotel bill as well. (For LC at districts, the hotel bill for one night was $490.00.)

And when a coach leaves or retires from coaching. . . well, we don't have to look any farther than Brookwood to see what generally happens. They were state runners-up in AAAA/AAAAA in 2005 and the host of a large Allstate qualifying tournament; by 2008, the program was dormant. (The fear that this would happen kept Mrs. Watkins in coaching long after she wanted to be, I think, but eventually she had to do what was best for her.)

Thus, all things considered, a smaller turnout in policy at districts is actually not all that surprising. . . and to me, it's as much a reflection of a sad situation as it is a sad situation itself.

Hey...I tried to help out Brookwood's situation. I'm not afraid to state here, that it was made clear to me, that the principal was done with debate.

Hey...I tried to help out Brookwood's situation. I'm not afraid to state here, that it was made clear to me, that the principal was done with debate.

I know. . . I think that when Mrs. Watkins retired, the powers-that-be found it very easy not to keep things going. Sometimes, I think that administrators may not be so willing to do away with a program, but they're perfectly willing to let it die if given a chance.

i think back to last year when i was the only person from hoco to go to districts and now this year we average 3-4 teams a tournament and hosted districts.

debate can grow, things unlikely can happen. and with quantity comes quality eventually.

i think back to last year when i was the only person from hoco to go to districts and now this year we average 3-4 teams a tournament and hosted districts.

debate can grow, things unlikely can happen. and with quantity comes quality eventually.

True. . . it helped tremendously, though, that HoCo (a) had someone from Houston County (albeit a Northside grad) with a debate background coming into the school and (B) is in a county in which debate is alive and well. (For HoCo, going to Warner Robins and Northside meant paying tournament fees to compete in two Allstate qualifiers; for a non-local school, going to those same tournaments meant hotel bills. . . in my case, a total of - if I remember correctly - $700-$800. The same applies for districts.)

That's what I meant about the Catch-22. If two or three schools in either metro Augusta or in the Athens area could create and sustain policy programs and host tournaments, LCs financial situation would be SO much better. If Albany or Valdosta were in that situation, trying to keep things going at Cairo would be easier, I'm sure. That's one reason that most new programs spring up in metro Atlanta, I think.

We need schools that are interested in starting programs/keeping them going (going back to what Kelly said about Brookwood), and we need teachers who are willing to coach. . . and specifically, former debaters who are willing to teach. Problem is, not a ton of former debaters go into the teaching profession, and not a ton of people who have no policy background are willing to learn it as classroom teachers. (To be perfectly honest, the only reason that I started coaching debate was that we got points toward the overall region and state literary trophies for our finish in debate. . . and the GHSA snatched that carrot away nine years ago. That's when policy in rural schools started going away in a hurry.)

I'm actually a lot more optimistic about the possibilities of a policy revival than I sound, but I also know what it's going to take: heart and time. I have the heart for rural Georgia debate, but I'm doing well to keep my head above water with my current responsibilities. Thus, it's going to take a lot of effort from a lot of people who actually care about building in cities that don't currently have policy programs (Macon, Augusta, Athens, Savannah, Albany) and in the rural areas where basically no one wants to go because they're in the middle of nowhere in order to make it happen.

• Upvote 1