Dr. Fox On Socks

Trivia Thread: Round III

stockings

I was wondering about that one--like, you would say "stocking" in reference to the Christmas item, but not in reference to the clothing, so I wasn't really sure if that counted or not.

Jeans.

I was wondering about that one--like, you would say "stocking" in reference to the Christmas item, but not in reference to the clothing, so I wasn't really sure if that counted or not.

Jeans.

YOU KEEP TAKING THE ONES IM ABOUT TO SAY

deer

I did not think this question through well enough.

Crow, your last 3 posts are -3, there are singular forms of moose and deer - they are moose and deer, and AIDS is not plural, nor is it a word - it's an acronym.

Should I pick a different question?

A lot of people are going to be hurting when the scores come in... Deer, Pox, and Moose are their own plurals (so they can be singular), ice is not plural, and brace is a valid singular noun. Although I would like to know what Max meant by the question "Name all the words in the English language that exist only in plural form."

We seem to be in agreement that we're looking for plural nouns with no valid singular, but the question seems to also exclude any other form of the word that is not a plural noun (including adjective and verb forms). So, "scissor" is not a singular noun, but it is a verb. So does "scissors" exist only in plural form?

And what about specific objects? For example, I think "pant" is a single noun when referring to a single intake of breath (verb form: "panting"), but it can only be plural when referring to the clothing "pants." So can the answer limit their usage to only one noun form (clothing, not breathing) or are all noun forms taken into account?

I'm also assuming proper names are out. So does that include diseases?

And what about phrases? I would guess "public works" since I think that's only plural, but "work" can clearly be singular.

Pliers

I did not think this question through well enough.

Crow, your last 3 posts are -3, there are singular forms of moose and deer - they are moose and deer, and AIDS is not plural, nor is it a word - it's an acronym.

Should I pick a different question?

sigh.

this is a good question however.