Calculus

natives aff

Yep. Do it again. Of course with some minor revisions in plan text, etc.

EDIT: Sorry about "Windians" - i understand now that it is a bad term. Thx for correcting me Llama.

Edited by Calculus
  • Downvote 3

Given the chance to do so many awesome things on next year's topic, why would you want to stick with an aff that everyone is already going to have answers to. Why not just give social services of some other kind to Native Americans?

The PTC definitely is not a social service, even if the PTC lead to a reduction of poverty it is blatantly untopical. There will be native aff's next year but I think they will more vulnerable to "OH NOES THE USFG CANT WORK WITH NATIVES!!!" arguments than the PTC.

Pine Ridge Indian Reservation-

"Although Pine Ridge is the eighth largest reservation in the United States, it is the poorest reservation. Unemployment on the reservation hovers around 80% and 49% live below the Federal poverty level.[1] Adolescent suicide is four times the national average. Many of the families have no electricity, telephone, running water, or sewer. Many families use wood stoves to heat their homes. The population on Pine Ridge has among the shortest life expectancies of any group in the Western Hemisphere: approximately 47 years for males and in the low 50s for females. The infant mortality rate is five times the United States national average. Reservation population was estimated at 15,000 in the 2000 census, but that number was raised to 28,000 by HUD, following a University of Colorado door-to-door study.[2]"

Some sort of social service that provides Family Planning, Counseling, or Technological Assistance to Native Americans living in Poverty?

Perhaps HC?

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

it's racist and will lose to any form of assimilation k/da ever.

I am taking a class called native america currently and my professor HATES the idea of federal social services for native american communities because the legislation always talks down to them. In fact, excluding native america is an awesome pic on this topic.

Believe it or not, this was actually a public forum resolution. I believe it actually included social services in the wording. It was from over the summer and I believe it was the CFL topic.

Believe it or not, this was actually a public forum resolution. I believe it actually included social services in the wording. It was from over the summer and I believe it was the CFL topic.

correct, it was the 2008 NCFL topic for PFD

I would avoid creating any new social services, I would say that a good idea, and what I'll be running if not some sort of homelessness case, would be to enforce all or most of the treaties we've made with the Native Americans, which should have a ton of literature on it. Or, if not that much, refund the Native American Health services. The leading cause of death on reservations is injury, as only the most life-threatening conditions can be dealt with. There should also be a lot of stuff there. I have a good deal of evidence on that, so if you'd like, go ahead and message me and I can get you some stuff.

[edit] Indians could be cool..

Edited by tlminton
  • Downvote 2

Traditional healing methods being covered by Medicaid as a social service.

Traditional healing methods being covered by Medicaid as a social service.

SSA Topic aff for America, lol

I think that Natives has the potential to be a good case next year. I think probably the best argument against it is a Sovereignty CP + Paternalism turns, but even that I think is beatable. I think that inherency problems are not the bad either, because even though we have done shitloads for natives they are still in poverty. I think it would probably be best to establish a new program that is "different from past approaches." This avoids alot of problems with sovereignty CP's and inherency. The main problem I forsee for this case is having advantages other with I/L's other then poverty.

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have blocks out the wazoo for windians or natives for those of you who try to run it:BB:Rocket:

• Downvote 2

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have blocks out the wazoo for windians or natives for those of you who try to run it:BB:Rocket:

Now can you use those pre-written camp blocks effectively?

I cut a few natives cards for a lead-based paint abatement affirmative

If you're interested, PM me.

How is it topical? I don't think there's any elgiblility requirements and increasing IHS funding would help Natives that aren't in poverty.

• Downvote 1

1) What does eligibility requirements have to do with anything?

2) Extra-T is not a voter.

3) The vast majority of Natives are below the poverty line (ins card), especially those living on the reservation which is the primary focus of IHS.

1) What does eligibility requirements have to do with anything?

To resolution mandates that you have to give ss to people that are actually living in poverty, if there isn't any requirement on who can apply for the aid than native americans that aren't in poverty would be getting aid too.

2) Extra-T is not a voter.

There are a ton of reasons as to why being extra T is bad, and i think you'd be hard pressed to win it's good.

3) The vast majority of Natives are below the poverty line (ins card), especially those living on the reservation which is the primary focus of IHS.

1. That mixes burdens - you have to win 100% of your inherency that all natives are poor

2. I'm sure there are some natives that don't live in poverty, and i think the IHS gives aid to all natives regardless of their income(not sure).

I think one of the issues with extra-T, the way Kratos is presenting it is mixing of burdens. You are stating not all Native Americans are below the poverty line and some Natives, who happen to be above the poverty line will seek services. You are asking the judge to look at potentially the solvency or harms to justify your T violation. At the point that Native Americans are among the most impoverished "group" of people in the United States, the services they are seeking are primarily used by those who are impoverished (those who aren't impoverished usually seek other healthcare means), and you are trying to increase the services for them, I'm not sure that the T argument holds ground.

IHS is mandated to give services to all "recognized" Natives in America on reservations and in urban settings. However, as stated before, if you have money why would you use a run down system, that doesn't have half of the services that other health care providers have.

Additionally, to your previous argument you state that the IHS plan would be helping those that are above the impoverished line, several plans, that would be considered by most to not be Extra-Topical, ultimately are helping others. Such as the immigrant health care plan, would also be helping people who use the same health care system but are living above the health care system.

Additionally, I think what you are talking about would be a simple fix in the plan text to state that the increase of IHS services are to be used for those at or below the poverty line.

Hope that all makes since.

• Upvote 1

Pine Ridge Indian Reservation-

"Although Pine Ridge is the eighth largest reservation in the United States, it is the poorest reservation. Unemployment on the reservation hovers around 80% and 49% live below the Federal poverty level.[1] Adolescent suicide is four times the national average. Many of the families have no electricity, telephone, running water, or sewer. Many families use wood stoves to heat their homes. The population on Pine Ridge has among the shortest life expectancies of any group in the Western Hemisphere: approximately 47 years for males and in the low 50s for females. The infant mortality rate is five times the United States national average. Reservation population was estimated at 15,000 in the 2000 census, but that number was raised to 28,000 by HUD, following a University of Colorado door-to-door study.[2]"

I wish South Dakota (where I attend school) was receptive to "project" cases. 4 of the 5 poorest counties in the United States are reservations in South Dakota.

Does anyone think it is valid to run racism K on the grounds that the Natives Case is making a solution to a problem only available to people of a certain race? Maybe that's the common approach and I just didn't realize it.