Quotient

Transversive Fantasy K

Anyone heard of it? I'm not even sure exactly what it says. But for the sake of having someone TRY to help me, it says something about how we create a fantasy mindset. "The aff will fall short of it's vision. Our ecology and energy crisis is part of being. Catastrophe is unavoidable, so we must change our being temporal. Reject the aff & unavoidable transversive fantasy." Or something like that... Any help plz?!

Sounds vaguely like Zizek; look him up.

Wiki has this under "Kritik" for Zizek

The “typical” Zizek critique (if there is one) accuses the other team of living in a series of symbolic fantasy worlds where ineffective political action is fetishized for personal gratification in place of, and sometimes to the detriment of, actual change. The alternative is often, though not always, to do nothing in order to cause the collapse of the symbolic system.

In which of Zizek's books does he discuss this idea and/or where can i learn more about it?

thanks

http://www.lacan.com/zizek-matrix.htm

the icke 2007 book is sooo good

its called baudrillard. the first matrix movie is based on alot of the tenets of Simulation and Simulacra. in fact the book that Neo uses at the very beginning of the movie to hide his illegal shit was a copy of Simulation and Simulacra.

Think about it.

We are all fooled into believing we live in the "real world" when we are really in a simulation (matrix). That copy of the Real is so far beyond the original that its now a simulacra (the difference b/w real world and matrix). A copy without an original which causes bad shit (the war).

the third movie at the end even has elements of zizek/lacan as far as transcending the lack.

great philosophical series.

http://getwiki.net/-The_Illusion_of_Choice

There's no such thing as a Zizek K. Zizek says a lot of things...

In terms of stuff on Lacan, look at Puppet and the Dwarf

Edited by theglobalcowboy

Check the camp files, they're all sourced.

Also, don't run Zizek unless you really, really understand him. Personal opinion - if you don't know every facet of what you're talking about, you can be trounced easily.

Also, don't run Zizek unless you really, really understand him. Personal opinion - if you don't know every facet of what you're talking about, you can be trounced easily.

This. Judges who don't understand Zizek will not understand, and judges who do will mock you.

So basically this kid, Jason Fixelle, read some books and put a file together.

I'm no Zizek scholar, but the basic idea with no explanation of why this is true or not, is to embrace catastrophie because there will always be a lack

I feel like this thread is another victim of Fixelle's pretentiousness

I feel like it's another victim of the law of attraction, because I was bored and now I'm laughing.

The file Fixelle put together says that "Nature" as a concept is something we have discursively constructed and we try to connect what our definition of it is, with the reality it affects, (I.E. the plan). That covers up the lack, or the inherent inability to symbolize everything into language. This covering up is a fantasy. This means that the affirmative isn't an objective search for truth, but simply represents the desires of the entity that created the fantasy, in this case it covers up the notion of catastrophe which is inevitable. The catastrophe bit is saying that trying to always avoid that catastrophe destroys our value to life. The Alternative is to traverse the fantasy, or psychoanalytically get over the notion that we will be able to do the goals of the aff (in a nutshell).

tl:dr Theres a fantasy. It doesn't work. traverse it.

Guest fizelly27

There have been multiple threads about this kritik and in fact the GDI file in specific. Use the search function. Also, the original post was legitimately just a bunch of words.

and this is a better entry on the internet encyclopedia of philosophy

http://www.iep.utm.edu/z/zizek.htm

but you should read the lacan one as well and probably have just general knowledge about lacanian psychoanalysis which Alex Bonnet provides here :

http://www.cross-x.com/vb/showthread.php?t=974166