SPREZZIDENT

super bowl thread

cue all the bitching about people not wanting to admit that their team lost because it's easier to rationalize your team losing than you being wrong about your team being the best or whatever

sevv i have yet to see you not bitch about officiating in a game that didn't go the way you called it. much love brah srsly but come on admit it the cards freaking lost.

cue all the bitching about people not wanting to admit that their team lost because it's easier to rationalize your team losing than you being wrong about your team being the best or whatever

sevv i have yet to see you not bitch about officiating in a game that didn't go the way you called it. much love brah srsly but come on admit it the cards freaking lost.

haha it's not my team dude

i'm a cowboys fan. i like the cardinals more than the steelers but not that significantly. tomlin's my favorite coach in the league. i bet money on the steelers. i bet centsports money on the steelers. i'm fine with tomlin winning a championship even if the morons around here who like the steelers get to rub it in my face because at the end of the day i can say my team's america's team and half their city is unemployed anyway.

but the refereeing was sad. not just this game, the general trend that this game follows. having big qb's like roflsberger slide out of legit hits all day and get roughing the passer called when a guy locks in his hit 1.5 steps away when rofl's got the ball in his hand still, that's bullshit. calling unnecessary roughness on the safety for trying to block a fg that gave the steelers three more shots at the end zone, that's bullshit. not looking at the last play again was bullshit, and the call made there was bullshit. making the cards waste a challenge on the incompletion that was "a fumble" earlier was bullshit. not ejecting harrison for that bush league, "chicago white sox" crap--bullshit.

do i think the game would have gone differently? not really--i think it was a coin toss either way, even if all the above break correctly for the cards, because the bottom line was always that it would come down to the last drive. we all knew that. but i do take liberty to express my displeasure with things i disagree with, and it just so happened that a vastly disproportionate number of those things hurt the cards tonight.

and before you slap me with the "REF WHINING" tag, realize that this is probably the first time i've isolated plays i disagreed with. the complaint i had during the bolts/colts game was [a] the crew that was assigned to officiate it and the fact that sudden death overtime decided the game.

i didn't complain about the ou/fu game's refereeing, and my pick on that was reallyyy far off.

i haven't even bitched about either of the duke losses refereeing this year. just singler's dumb ass.

check yoself, fool.

• Upvote 1

Amazing 4th quarter and great super bowl. The only really bad call was the roughing the passer on Dansby, I will agree that it was not worthy of a whistle. I thought all the other calls were legit. The refs made 2 bad calls against AZ and both were overturned on review. Warner fumbled the ball on the last play of the game; he tried to chuck it forward as he was getting hit but that's because the contact knocked the ball free. Even if the call was close, it would not have been overturned on review. And the chances of AZ winning even if they got to keep the ball for one more downfield play are sub-5%. Pitt got way more ref bias in their 2006 win. Arizona got called for holding a lot because they held a lot... That'll happen when you're facing the top pass rush in the league. Warner played well under pressure but was not the better QB, stats aside, and Big Ben's absurd final drive proved this. I'm not a Steelers fan but you are all haters and he was incredible.

What the heck are y;'all talking about? It's been a running joke all year that Harrison is held on every play and the team holding him never gets called! NBC and Fox and CBS have all done pieces on the lack of holding calls for teams playing the Steelers! Don't tell me about how the Steelers never get called for holding - we get multiple holding calls per game, a lot more than our opponents do. Y'all are just haters...

What the heck are y;'all talking about? It's been a running joke all year that Harrison is held on every play and the team holding him never gets called! NBC and Fox and CBS have all done pieces on the lack of holding calls for teams playing the Steelers! Don't tell me about how the Steelers never get called for holding - we get multiple holding calls per game, a lot more than our opponents do. Y'all are just haters...

just curious--what's the spin on the harrison incident [where he punches someone who's down] in steeler country?

I didn't follow the regular season at all, nor do I have any bias for or against the Steelers or Cardinals, but I know lopsided officiating when I see it. And I saw it last night. Whatever happened (or didn't happen) in past games doesn't justify poor refereeing in the big game.

Most of the fans I know, including myself, think he should have been put out of the game - it was uncalled for and not what Steeler football is all about. Why he was left in was beyond me. Don't take me wrong - he's a beast and a hell of a player - but that was outrageous and he should have been ejected. Tomlin will chew him a new one I think.

For those of you who "effing hate the Steelers" why? Why hate a team that features stable coaching - 3 since the 60's, unselfish players who don't make a lot of noise or have a lot of off-field issues, who unselfishly work together to achieve victory? Who dont' cheat like the Patriots, etc....Why wouldn't you like a team like that? Hold, say Heinz Ward above a TO? I dont' get it...

just curious--what's the spin on the harrison incident [where he punches someone who's down] in steeler country?

I will say, this was a black mark on the Steeler win. Harrison's runback TD was sick but he should have been ejected after that incident

Well..let's keep it in context - it wasn't as bad as say Earl Jones slamming Bradshaw headfirst to the turf, or something like that - but it was a mark against Harrison, and I think it will haunt him - it wasn't Steeler football, and most of Steeler nation said "We love Harrison, but he should have been ejected" I know I feel that way.

1. i'm not talking free throw advantages--i'm talking foul advantages

2. ooo nice use of specious

Same stuff holds true whether we're talking about FT or foul advantages... both are skewed highly in Dukes favor. Besides, I'd argue FT advantages are more important in determining the outcome of a game.

this isn't that unusual..you don't see many calhoun teams shifting to zone, unless they're trying to protect a big in foul trouble [which duke does too, when they have bigs they want to protect from foul trouble]

Calhoun doesn't press and trap the way Duke does. I mean, Duke plays D 30 feet from the basket when theyre in their half court defense. For there to be no hand check fouls or anything is ridiculous.

how's this strange? the team that plays man defense focusing on ball denial should lead the conference in steals. and it's not like the acc is a haven for shotblocking powers, though i question that duke leads the conference in blocks on even a regular much less annual basis

They aren't necessarily always at the very top of the ACC in blocks, but theyre usually pretty high up on the list and they are always right there in steals. Thats important because those 2 stats are signs of defensive aggressiveness. If youre going for steals and blocks, theres a good chance you're also committing a lot of fouls.

people call it perimeter based because all the players are comfortable on the perimeter and can shoot threes. but this doesn't mean there's no driving to the basket to speak of--the majority of threes are initiated on drive and kicks, which are only possible when a team establishes that the drive is respectable enough to have to bring help defense to prevent the easy 2...it's not like duke runs around chucking threes up whenever they get two feet of separation [outside of paulus of course]. and don't forget, a significant amount of fouls can accumulate when teams are trying to lengthen the game at the end of the game when they're losing. duke just straight up doesn't waste possessions and is absolutely the best team in the country year in year out at finishing games--teams have to resort to fouling earlier against duke than against other teams just because duke will go to the 30 second possessions with 8 or 9 minutes left if they're winning. and they often are. especially if you forget about the past couple years.

Duke is a much better team than most teams they play... how many times do teams really get a chance for intentional fouls to get back in the game? Whens the last time you watched Duke just get fouled and go to the line for a solid 2 or 3 minutes? The shot clock pretty much kills that argument. Teams don't have a need to foul until near the end of the game because at most you can take 35 seconds off the clock, and the losing team has the possesions to get back in it without having to foul. And the FT disparity shouldn't be as big because they shoot the 3 like they do. Its very rare to get fouled shooting the outside shot, and if theyre only getting fouled on the floor with their penetration, they should be taking the ball out more often and shoot fewer FTs.

they're not close or subjective when duke does it because it's duke's primary strategy. there's no hesitation where the player is trying to decide to go for a block or to set his feet--they automatically go for the charge, which is why the help defenders are always in place to draw it. which is the 'close' and 'subjective' part of the equation. emphasize that's what they need to do and it makes sense that they'd get good at it. watch former duke players in the nba--they're still succeeding at drawing charges [battier dunleavy even boozer on occasion] so it's not just the k effect, they know what they're doing

And allow me to offer up

video evidence of my point. But, if youre moving towards the player driving with the ball all the time, you should expect at least some blocking fouls would get called that would close the FT gap. And which NBA players should I look for? I was under the impression they'd all been relegated to the end of the bench or were already out of the league. I mean, Boozer is pretty much the only All-Star they've sent to the league in recent history for all their 5 star recruits.

outdated :)

Conceeded.

when has there ever been a correlation between foul discrepancy and niceness of a coach? that's a pretty ridiculous qualification.

Not a huge point, but you'd expect some Technical fouls to be called on the one man publicity machine.

no, you're just complaining to have something to complain about. and i normally wouldn't care since this is a steelers cards springsteen thread, but you're making your bitching about the super bowl lose credibility.

I dont know, I think its probably just 7 years of pent up anger for the officials stealing a National Title from us and handing it to Dook. And I think theres a decent chance that most (non-Dook) fans probably agree with me. Not like it matters this year anyhow, we'll be lucky to go to the NIT... but maybe Born Ready will sign down here and we'll be back next year.

Anyway, this should probably be another thread. At least we can agree that the Super Bowl officiating was beyond ridiculous.

saying UCONN goes to the line more than duke to argue that duke doesnt get the calls is beyond ridiculous Sevs, and you know it. UCONN pounds the ball inside or drives almost every time down the court. Theyve had maybe three prolific three point shooters in the last 10 years!! Duke has three good three point shooters every year!

and im thinking Anderson, Gordon, and Hamilton. noone else is really jumping out in my memory at the moment. before that there was donyell and, of course, Ray Allen.

the Paulus flopping thing had me laughing out loud, and i cheer for a team Anderson Varejao plays for

who cares about the superbowl when there is still a probowl left? cant wait to see AP tear up the field.

Most of the fans I know, including myself, think he should have been put out of the game - it was uncalled for and not what Steeler football is all about. Why he was left in was beyond me. Don't take me wrong - he's a beast and a hell of a player - but that was outrageous and he should have been ejected. Tomlin will chew him a new one I think.

For those of you who "effing hate the Steelers" why? Why hate a team that features stable coaching - 3 since the 60's, unselfish players who don't make a lot of noise or have a lot of off-field issues, who unselfishly work together to achieve victory? Who dont' cheat like the Patriots, etc....Why wouldn't you like a team like that? Hold, say Heinz Ward above a TO? I dont' get it...

i hate the steelers because im a browns fan ...

Hold, say Heinz Ward above a TO? I dont' get it...

Heinz Ward is one of the dirtiest players in the NFL. And the only reason I pause in giving him that title is because his teammate Ryan Clark is right there with him.

So..first, my condolences to the Browns fan - that must suck, you should root for the Steelers - Pittsburgh is a lot like Cleveland, and our team wins.

Second - GOPAL - so you're saying that Heinz Ward is dirty because he knocks linebackers on their rears with regularity, and Clark is dirty because he can knock people into next month - so to you, hard hitting players are dirty? I'm confused - what would you make of Jack Tatum? Deacon Jones? Lambert? Ham? Blount? Etc....what makes a player dirty? You're saying that Clark is dirty because he knocked Welker out and McGahee into the next century? How about the Ravens putting a bounty on Mendenhall and publicly celebrating when he was knocked out of thta game with a broken collarbone...Those players aren't dirty - football is a violent game, they just hit pretty hard.

heinz ward is the shit - don't be a hater just cause the prima dona cardinal receivers (minus anquan) don't know how to sock it to d-backs and linebackers like ward does.

• Upvote 1

Second - GOPAL - so you're saying that Heinz Ward is dirty because he knocks linebackers on their rears with regularity, and Clark is dirty because he can knock people into next month - so to you, hard hitting players are dirty? I'm confused - what would you make of Jack Tatum? Deacon Jones? Lambert? Ham? Blount? Etc....what makes a player dirty? You're saying that Clark is dirty because he knocked Welker out and McGahee into the next century? How about the Ravens putting a bounty on Mendenhall and publicly celebrating when he was knocked out of thta game with a broken collarbone...Those players aren't dirty - football is a violent game, they just hit pretty hard.

I think a lot of both of their hits are over the top. There was no reason to aim high on Welker when Welker had already given up on the play, the hit may have been legal, but it was just a poor decision. And for Ward its a combination of things. There are the hits that are just barely within the rules, but at least he isnt a pansy like almost every other reciever. With him its more of just the way he plays the game. Against the Jags last year, grabbing 2 hands full of facemask and pulling the corner towards him to draw a defensive interference is just the norm for the guy. Oh, and what the Ravens did was no good either, I'm not gonna defend a dirty play by them either. But, there's always the fan factor in this. I'm not gonna change your mind, and in my mind, Travis Johnson was well within his rights to go ballistic at Trent Green when Green tried to end the man's career by going after the knees.

And before its asked... I'm probably just a hater because everyone in the area is either a Redskins or Steelers fan... and at this point I'm sick of both fan bases.

LOL..wait, you're in DC? OK..we agree to disagree - but at least you're anti-dirty the whole way around..which is better than some people.

Yea, I'm over at UMD.