Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Octagon

Mindset K

I think this would be a good k for next years topic:

in that poverty does not exist at all but merely the mindset of poverty due to constant enforcement through the media, culture etc.

what are others opinions?

this sounds like a good idea.

my only problem would be saying "poverty doesn't exist" - something more effective might be that the way that we construct the word now makes the definition of poverty bad or violent.

and mindset critiques are difficult because a lot of the time, you link just by what you say. but this seems like a good idea

like terror talk?

yeah, you can argue that poverty is the root cause of violence through this modern mindset, and it justifies and replicates the affs harms, or something of that sort.

my only problem would be saying "poverty doesn't exist" - something more effective might be that the way that we construct the word now makes the definition of poverty bad or violent.

Yes. I think claiming poverty only exists due to the mindset of poverty is good not necessarily that "true poverty exists"

and mindset critiques are difficult because a lot of the time, you link just by what you say.

I assume your saying that they suck due to the fact they link just by saying the word but i think if you think of the link more of how they advocate poverty not necessarily the word poverty itself the link is more legit.

also wouldnt this be a ontology k?

also wouldnt this be a ontology k?

Yeah, it can be. you just have to argue that the alternative changes the way we look at poverty, and that needs to be assessed first.

Yeah, it can be. you just have to argue that the alternative changes the way we look at poverty, and that needs to be assessed first.

Yes this is what i want the K to do also how do you feel this K would do in general in round legit/illegit?

Yes this is what i want the K to do also how do you feel this K would do in general in round legit/illegit?

It should be pretty legit as long as you can generate a decent link (which shouldn't be a problem) and internal link for your ontology impact. Maybe adding another impact like the way they view poverty is the root cause of open ended violence, because some judges don't buy ontology alone, unless you can impact it really well. Don't forget to include solvency for your alternative too, if the aff doesn't attack it, just keep extending your solvency, and it should win the round.

• Downvote 1

This k actually sounds really good, it could be kind of like a queer theory or forbidden words k. The impacts could turn case, like instead of making people equal you are demeaning them to a lower level by saying people in poverty.

like instead of making people equal you are demeaning them to a lower level by saying people in poverty.
This isn't what im advocating in this K

this is: poverty is a mindset, that perpetuates certain beliefs about self and the world that limits perceptions, choices, motivations, and behaviors in ways that tend to perpetuate the condition. This statement expresses the underlying assumption that the fundamental focus of change is the current mindset that prevents clients from escaping their impoverished conditions.

Edited by Dr. Claw

This isn't what im advocating in this K

this is: over time, poverty creates a mindset, and certain beliefs about self and the world that limits perceptions, choices, motivations, and behaviors in ways that tend to perpetuate the condition. This statement expresses the underlying assumption that the fundamental focus of change is the current mindset that prevents clients from escaping their impoverished conditions.

Sounds a bit similar to Heidegger.

ya but i dont think this is what im going to make the k more along these lines

poverty is a mindset, that perpetuates certain beliefs about self and the world that limits perceptions, choices, motivations, and behaviors in ways that tend to perpetuate the condition. This statement expresses the underlying assumption that the fundamental focus of change is the current mindset that prevents clients from escaping their impoverished conditions.

ya but i dont think this is what im going to make the k more along these lines

poverty is a mindset, that perpetuates certain beliefs about self and the world that limits perceptions, choices, motivations, and behaviors in ways that tend to perpetuate the condition. This statement expresses the underlying assumption that the fundamental focus of change is the current mindset that prevents clients from escaping their impoverished conditions.

That sounds pretty good. I think it should work well next year as long as you have alt solvency.

i never understood why people come up with these really specific ideas for kritiks without forgetting something evidence

Theres plenty of evidence i already checked.

Wow I will really look into this K as well and yeah it is in the realm of terror talk. Also it sounds like a K of the word which is extremely stupid, but i like that you say the ideology of poverty is bad... Seems to be a pretty cool K

Bump.

want to get more opinions on this.

I would make this an Ontology K.

Edited by Dr. Claw

Like dehumanization or a biopower impact. Search through a couple agamben or foucault files and find a link from povert (or poverty discourse) to their impacts.

I'm probably going to run an argument like this, but my interpretation would be like this:

The resolution is inherently supportive of poverty rhetoric based on a construct of class and racial oppression monetized by the intrinsic value of the dollar. This causes X impact (probably either dehumanization or violence). Reject the resolution to endorse our ethical framework which is best

I'm going to agree with Policy Tiger. Sounds alot like Heideggers critique of the problem-soultion mindset.

"our ceaseless interventions seem to make things worse, to prepetuate a cycle of human activity". (McWhorter 4).

Sign in to follow this