mdawgig

Slumdog Millionaire

Anyone else seen it?

I absolutely loved it! The only movie I've ever seen that is better than Slumdog Millionaire (IMHO) is Pan's Labyrinth.

Opinions?

Everyone I have talked to says "it was really good" but I have yet to hear a justification. Why is it good? Because metacritic says it's good? Because it has lots of "symbolism" and tells a mash up of 2-3 cliche stories? Because it's set in india? Fuck india - they still have the plague.

I have not seen the movie yet, I just want to know why it's good before I do. Even my main man, Roger Ebert, was very vague in his praise-of-the-movie-bordering-on-fellatio.

• Downvote 1

It was ok. Not great... just ok. Very cliche and overhyped. Then again, I probably didnt like it that much because of the way it portrays hindus.

Everyone I have talked to says "it was really good" but I have yet to hear a justification. Why is it good? Because metacritic says it's good? Because it has lots of "symbolism" and tells a mash up of 2-3 cliche stories? Because it's set in india? Fuck india - they still have the plague.

I have not seen the movie yet, I just want to know why it's good before I do. Even my main man, Roger Ebert, was very vague in his praise-of-the-movie-bordering-on-fellatio.

You're what I would call an overly aggressive skeptic.

Say what you want about formula and clicheness; it was a good film. The story flowed nicely, the technical production was sound, the music was great, it taught me interesting things about another country, the girl was cute, and it had an epic Bollywood dance scene at the end. What more do you want?

I bet Maury didn't like Ciudad de Deus (City of God) either. On a related note, if you liked Slumdog and haven't seen Ciudad de Deus, go do it. It's considerably more depressing than Slumdog and it's all in Portugegse (with subtitles, of course), but it's also very good for the same reasons Slumdog is (minus epic Bollywood dance scene).

• Upvote 1

Say what you want about formula and clicheness; it was a good film. The story flowed nicely, the technical production was sound, the music was great, it taught me interesting things about another country, the girl was cute, and it had an epic Bollywood dance scene at the end. What more do you want?

I bet Maury didn't like Ciudad de Deus (City of God) either. On a related note, if you liked Slumdog and haven't seen Ciudad de Deus, go do it. It's considerably more depressing than Slumdog and it's all in Portugegse (with subtitles, of course), but it's also very good for the same reasons Slumdog is (minus epic Bollywood dance scene).

city of god was sort of hard to take. when the kids get the guns? yikes

That's because its hard to explain. For me it was just a good experience - good, coherent story, interesting framing device (gameshow), good acting, lots of funny parts, lots of good sad parts, etc.

Slumdog was cliche, formulaic, and relied too much on MTV-style editing to get along. City of God is leagues above and beyond Slumdog Millionaire.

• Upvote 1