kerpen

Will the federal stimulus bill make things better or worse?

Will the federal stimulus make things better or worse?  

456 members have voted

1. 1. Will the federal stimulus make things better or worse?

• Better
    • Worse

I do no agree with the stimulus bill it's way to expensive. but i do agree with the idea of the stimulus. I agree with the fact that we are actually doing something . That our vote isn't disregarded in the poll. The whole idea behind the economic stimulus bill is that it helps us in the long run or near future. and we can all see that doing nothing has not helped the economy in any way. I do agree that it was to much money and it will lead to higher taxes. but it's start to something that will acually help us.

higher taxes, falling dollar, higher interest payments, fewer social services, weakened military over the long term is NOT something that helps us.

stimulus = bad on all accounts

higher taxes, falling dollar, higher interest payments, fewer social services, weakened military over the long term is NOT something that helps us.

stimulus = bad on all accounts

What should the government do then? It seems like you're in favor of public works spending, so what exactly is wrong with the stimulus package without conflating the stimulus with the bailout? As far as I know, most of the stimulus expenditure goes to investments such as green energy...

As far as I know, most of the stimulus expenditure goes to investments such as green energy...

Well then you know incorrectly.

Most of the bill goes to pet projects of democratic congressmen.

about 25% is for infrastructure/stuff we need.

You want to see some pork, you can be one of twenty daily fliers who pass through the John Murtha airport every day. Or rather, the $200,000,000 John Murtha airport, when all that money over the years is tabulated.

I'm not kidding. Twenty commercial passengers on three federally subsidized UAL flights. A day.

That's pork.

What should the government do then? It seems like you're in favor of public works spending, so what exactly is wrong with the stimulus package without conflating the stimulus with the bailout? As far as I know, most of the stimulus expenditure goes to investments such as green energy...

Its painfully obvious that America needs an enormous overhaul on its infrastructure and strategic positioning in the global economy. What does a massive 'stimulus' do for this need? Absolutely nothing. It keeps things 'business as usual.'

For example, a lot of the houses in California which are currently under foreclosure, were built and owned by the construction workers feeding off the low-interest rate construction boom. Instead of giving these people a tax break of $800, we should pass a new transportation bill which results in the construction of new bridges and highways to replace our aging infrastructure.

What does a tax break or stimulus check do for the unemployed or people under financial stress? Nothing. It gives them a temporary cushion which lasts what? One month? Three months? Then what? They are back to the problems they were having already! And that money goes where? I already posted the proof that the money just goes back to the banks through a circuitous route. Ordinarily, this is an acceptable solution given that banks dont have the capital with which to make new loans thus sending money indirectly to banks is a more acceptable solution than a bailout. But as the bailouts proved useless for increasing liquidity because new loans werent being created despite the bailouts and lower interest rates because the banks have swung from risk-taking to risk-averse. So as far as money filtering through the economy, its dying when the loans arent made.

So the only way to keep money flowing through the economy is to keep the money with the businesses and in the consumer economy and the only way to do this is to get unemployment down. And the best way to accomplish that AND accomplish the goals of bootstrapping America into the lead for the next century IS to launch massive programs like those of the New Deal, slightly modified for modern needs and wants.

I dont know everything there is to know about policymaking, especially with regards to economics... but I do know that its better to have a citizen to have a job they can depend on than a stimulus check in hand.

Seriously, it's going to make things worse.

i mean more than half the money that is alocated through it is being put to like, saving ferrets in Massachusetts and i kid you not.

It was put through too fast, just like congress is trying to do to the health care reform bill, and no one in congress read it.

they just earmarked then voted yes.

saving ferrets in Massachusetts and i kid you not.

Bio-d checks extinction.

Do not trivialize the ferret my friend.

Considering the sporadity of posts, I propose we wait to further comment on this forum until we actually see the effects of stimulus. See you in 3-5 years.

Well, we are pulled out of the official recession, yes? Or almost?

Still, unemployment continues to rise, and the average work week hovers around 40 hours. That isn't sustainable in anyway.

• Upvote 1

no we arent out yet, but officially, we may be close.

companies are not contracting as much, which is a good thing. but they are still laying off workers to get as lean as possible while shedding inventory (which is nearly complete for most companies), and cutting spending on capital investments to shore up their balance sheets. this is what is giving the illusion of real recovery to wall street because the bottom line looks better for many companies. lost in the clutter of bullish forecasters is the fact that foreclosures are still high, people are still losing jobs, wages are not going up, etc.

the bailouts had nothing to do with this. this is natural business cycles at work.

• Upvote 1

You think healthcare is expensive now? Just wait 'til it's free!

Now that we know the stimulus failed I suggest that we revert to the core Libertarian principles of our Founding Fathers.

+1

Now that we know the stimulus failed I suggest that we revert to the core Libertarian principles of our Founding Fathers.

Or not and actually pass policies that work and make America better and stronger!

Or not and actually pass policies that work and make America better and stronger!

Policies that work!? This is madness!