kerpen

Will the federal stimulus bill make things better or worse?

Will the federal stimulus make things better or worse?  

456 members have voted

1. 1. Will the federal stimulus make things better or worse?

• Better
    • Worse

Every bailout = one more way that government and industry conspire to screw the American citizen out of savings, tax dollars, and everything else they work for.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

ultimately worse, federal bailout criterion (in the arenas in which ive researched) are seemingly arbitrary and foster dependency in the LR...they could give everyone baked goods though, that would help.

Stimulus package is a fancy term for turning citizens into intermediaries between government and industry. In this economic climate, most everyone will take their stimulus and use it (as opposed to saving it), often on paying down the debt they are accumulating (i.e. paying the banks who caused such a mess). This does several things - a) convinces people that the balance sheets for banks are improving and B) fools people into thinking that the government isnt bailing out banks by borrowing our future.

• Upvote 1

i fail to understand how people think that borrowing money will solve problems created by borrowing money.

• Downvote 1

i fail to understand how people think that borrowing money will solve problems created by borrowing money.

It's like a pyramid scheme. Every step is a temporary solution to delay the problems brought on by the previous step. It'll work alright until they do the last step that works at all, then the crash will be huge.

Worse. If we bail out the U.S auto companies, then they won't have to start making better cars. People buy foreign cars because they're ten times better than the American ones. The auto companies need to recognize that and finally realize that this is not a capitalist country- consumers buy what works best.

• Downvote 1

I'm going to continue on the theme of talking about semi-related issues without addressing the actual question. I wish the entire strategy was a massive infrastructure overhaul. Requires a lot of manual labor and a lot of engineering and is something we need in the long term to stay competitive. In the long term it facilitates mobility throughout the country which is inherently good for domestic trade, etc.

• Upvote 2

I'd much rather see a significant investment in the improvement of urban/regional transportation. That would be an enormous boon for the infrastructure while providing a healthy boost to the overall balance sheet in the sky....

I saw the earth avatar and thought briefly that it was kerpen, and i wondered why he said something as stupid as that.

The "stimulus package" is nothing more than taking money thats already in the economy, filtering it through government, and then putting it back into the economy. No real growth happens. It may fudge the numbers a bit but its no real solution.

• Upvote 1

I saw the earth avatar and thought briefly that it was kerpen, and i wondered why he said something as stupid as that.

The "stimulus package" is nothing more than taking money thats already in the economy, filtering it through government, and then putting it back into the economy. No real growth happens. It may fudge the numbers a bit but its no real solution.

Actually, its worse. Because we arent doing it with money in OUR economy. We are doing it with money in a global economy which means that we need to borrow from abroad to get it done and this has a lot of political and economic implications at the moment........

Actually, its worse. Because we arent doing it with money in OUR economy. We are doing it with money in a global economy which means that we need to borrow from abroad to get it done and this has a lot of political and economic implications at the moment........

I also tend to think that if at any point the stimulus money is spent on something that at any point was manufactured or imported from a foreign country, it "leaks" out of our gdp.

Ummm, things can get much worse. double digit inflation. double digit unemployment. double digit interest rates. eroding global dollar value. poorer competitiveness of american companies. poor affordability of basic essential goods and services...

things can get much much worse.

Ummm, things can get much worse. double digit inflation. double digit unemployment. double digit interest rates. eroding global dollar value. poorer competitiveness of american companies. poor affordability of basic essential goods and services...

things can get much much worse.

Do you feel the stimulus plan will cause such things?

Lemme see...

Increasing the foreign-dollar financed national debt 'instantaneously' by 10% is inflationary.

It erodes the dollar value against other currencies

Requires a higher interest rate in return for such voluminous lending...

Which ultimately requires the increased taxes which hurts businesses in an environment in which zero percent federal bank lending rate is not sustainable and neither are bailouts. This will lead to higher unemployment under a world of cost cutting (which will likely be mandated as a part of future bailouts as a form of 'government vigilance where the bailout money is going'.... stupid stupid stupid....)

Since wages havent increased appreciably for a decade now, the position of the american consumer is degrading quickly, increasing household debt, and leading to the inevitable increase in bankruptcies in an environment irrelevant...

Yes. Bailout has issues. How severe? Your guess is as good as that of a nobel prize economist. We are in uncharted territory of ridiculous government bailouts... the New Deal was nothing compared to this..........