amitpop

Infamous cards

Are there any infamous cards out there i should know about? such as Berube's dehumanization card, or Mead 92 etc.

anything really important or well known.

There are many famous and infamous cards. This depends on whether someone likes the argument or not. Most of the hegemony cards are pretty well-known, especially Thayer, Kagen, Ferguson, and Khalilzhad. Bearden 2000 is common to see on an econ debate. The new Kerpen card is starting to become popular. There are a bunch of infamous kritik cards out there. Authors such as Bleiker and Dillon always have a lot to say about everything. Kappeler 95 is used a lot. The Doty 96 cards on representations have gained popularity over the last few years. The Shively evidence on fairness is pretty well-known. Mearsheimer 90 is a great "fiat good" card.

What, in particular, are you looking for?

Bearden 2000

When are people going to stop using Bearden! seriously! Here's a little more of his "econ analysis":

Eerily, this very threat now looms in our not too distant future, due in large part to the increasing and unbearable stresses that escalating oil prices will elicit.

So about seven years or so from now, we will enter the period of the threat of the Final Armageddon, unless we do something very, very quickly now, to totally and permanently solve the present "electrical energy from oil" crisis.

This is really why we must have a National Emergency proclamation, and a Manhattan Project. Mass manufacturing, deployment, and employment of replacement electrical power systems must begin in earnest in early 2004.

In my estimate, the point of no return for developing the self-powering replacement systems is about the end of 2003. If by early 2004 we do not have multiple types of vacuum-energy powered systems rolling off the assembly lines en masse, then we shall overshoot the point of no return. In that case, it matters not whether the systems then become available or not. They will then be too late to prevent the great Armageddon and the destruction of civilization.

There are many famous and infamous cards. This depends on whether someone likes the argument or not. Most of the hegemony cards are pretty well-known, especially Thayer, Kagen, Ferguson, and Khalilzhad. Bearden 2000 is common to see on an econ debate. The new Kerpen card is starting to become popular. There are a bunch of infamous kritik cards out there. Authors such as Bleiker and Dillon always have a lot to say about everything. Kappeler 95 is used a lot. The Doty 96 cards on representations have gained popularity over the last few years. The Shively evidence on fairness is pretty well-known. Mearsheimer 90 is a great "fiat good" card.

What, in particular, are you looking for?

I'd probably add the Shapiro 92 evidence (in the vein of the Doty ev above) - but what's this Kerpen card you're talking about? I have to figure it's some kind of economy internal, but I haven't seen it.

(Not that I think any less of Kerpen, of course.)

Guest ertrich123
I'd probably add the Shapiro 92 evidence (in the vein of the Doty ev above) - but what's this Kerpen card you're talking about? I have to figure it's some kind of economy internal, but I haven't seen it.

(Not that I think any less of Kerpen, of course.)

He wrote it on purpose for us debaters haha, jk.

Its a really good card though.

D. Economic decline causes nuclear & biological war.

Kerpen 08

Oct. 28 policy director for Americans for Prosperity, Phil, From Panic to Depression?, http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OWQ3ZGYzZTQyZGY4ZWFiZWUxNmYwZTJiNWVkMTIxMmU=

It’s important that we avoid all these policy errors — not just for the sake of our prosperity, but for our survival. The Great Depression, after all, didn’t end until the advent of World War II, the most destructive war in the history of the planet. In a world of nuclear and biological weapons and non-state terrorist organizations that breed on poverty and despair, another global economic breakdown of such extended duration would risk armed conflicts on an even greater scale.

thats the shorter version, if you need the longer one just pm me.

the funny thing is, any economist/historian that's not some ideological goon would see all the claims of that paragraph are false. there's no causal relationship between poverty and terrorism or the great depression and WWII.

Are there any infamous cards out there i should know about? such as Berube's dehumanization card, or Mead 92 etc.

anything really important or well known.

Ok, a little pet peave of mine: Berube is a coach that was quoting Montague and Matson 1983 Dehumanization of Man. It isn't really his analysis.

Once we start doing a uniquely domestic topic again, you might be hearing Calabresi a lot on Federalism (also, possibly, Tribe's "gutted shell" card.)

And speaking of Shell, you might want to look at his infinite risk analysis (mathematically incorrect, but devestating in a debate round.) It's something like .000001 times infinity is still infinity.

Some others: Trainer, Kato, um...maybe the communitarianism dude..Etzioni? That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Guest fizelly27
how many times can you go through a 2ac response to some random kritik without reading one or several Krishna cards

Well when you actually answer the specific k instead of being really generic, rarely does one reach for their krishna cards

• Upvote 1

When are people going to stop using Bearden! seriously! Here's a little more of his "econ analysis":

yeah. and in the sentence directly before the card (or maybe after, idk) it talks about how we need to take preemptive strikes on basically the world to prevent economic collapse.

spicer : trade wars go nuclear

calibrisi : THE fism author

ornstein : winners win

barndt : racism impact

montagu & matson : the original dehume impact that berube quotes

elmore : stupid aspek card

etc etc

And speaking of Shell, you might want to look at his infinite risk analysis (mathematically incorrect, but devestating in a debate round.) It's something like .000001 times infinity is still infinity.

Some others: Trainer, Kato, um...maybe the communitarianism dude..Etzioni? That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Who are these people?

• Upvote 1

schell : a fraction of infinity is still infinity. i.e. if something has the risk of terminating in extinction (an infinite impact) then it must be treated as certainty.

trainer : de-dev / growth bad

kato : nuclear war reps bad

etzioni! : communitarianism / smart cards author from privacy topic

• Upvote 1

Well when you actually answer the specific k instead of being really generic, rarely does one reach for their krishna cards

Perm... do both? Explain to me how you can't read quality "generic" cards and also address the specific K being run?

Would I advocate only reading Krishna in the 2ac... no. But please, tell me how many Chalupka perms do you have? Or maybe you're particularly deep on your Schlag perm solvency? The reason that Krishna gets read with some regularity (along with several other "generic" 2ac authors) is that they've had some success.

Guest svfrey

Zizek and Daly 04 - ethico-political obligation, blah blah blah

most underused econ collapse impact is Lewis 98, IMO. it's a sweet piece of evidence, minus the fact that it's taken from a de-dev book...oops.

• Upvote 1