Sign in to follow this  
rcbookworm

Flowing Organization?

I have my first policy debate tomorrow and I'm a little nervous about flowing... okay so a lot nervous! If I'm flowing the 1AC I put inherency, solvency, etc. on different flow sheets, right? So (and all this will probably sound stupid but,) what NEG topic goes on the solvency sheet? And then DAs go on the advantages one? Topicality on a new one? And CPs on another new one? If I'm missing any probable JV topics for aff OR neg let me know where those go, as well- i always forget something! I'm so worried that because my flow is totally messed up (as it was in practice today!) I won't be able to organize my speech :(

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

thanks!

All of your advantages go on separate flows, and all of the negative's DAs (i.e. CPs or other DAs) also go on separate flows. And the neg will read "On solvency" cards, their solvency turns are where you will flow on the solvency sheet.

Flowing is key in debates, good flowing is vital. Good luck at your first debate!

oh okay. so "advantages" is an umbrella term for solvency, inherency, and such? and same with "disadvantages" for topicality CPs, and general DAs? but i still don't understand- counter plans aren't on the same sheet as any AFF topic? I'm sorry if I'm not understanding you correctly! But thank you so much for replying!

oh okay. so "advantages" is an umbrella term for solvency, inherency, and such? and same with "disadvantages" for topicality CPs, and general DAs? but i still don't understand- counter plans aren't on the same sheet as any AFF topic? I'm sorry if I'm not understanding you correctly! But thank you so much for replying!

Advantages come after inherency but before solvency; the 1A will say something like "Advantage One: The Sky Is Falling" then read about how an asteroid is careening towards the earth and CTL propelled super-jets will bust it up like swiss cheese before it splits the earth in half.

Inherency is what is preventing the plan from taking place (usually), and Solvency is how the plan achieves your advantages.

Counter Plans, Topicality, DA's, and Kritiks are considered "off-case" positions, each one requiring its own flow. In the case with Kritiks they will often have an additional flow for framework, though you will probably not see one if this is a novice tournament.

If the other team says "On-case" they mean on the flow from the 1ac, either on Inherency, Solvency, or one of your advantages.

Every argument gets its on sheet of paper. I'll add a number to each piece of paper to help understand this.

Let's say the 1AC had Inherency (1), Advantage 1(2), Advantage 2(3), Advantage 3(4), Solvency(5). There would be 5 pieces of paper.

Lets say the 1NC had 1 T(6), 1 CP(7), 2 DA's(8 and 9) and made arguments on adv. 1(2), 2(3), and 3(4), as well as Solvency(5). As this point, there would be 9 pieces of paper.

That make more sense?

• Upvote 1

Every argument gets its on sheet of paper. I'll add a number to each piece of paper to help understand this.

Let's say the 1AC had Inherency (1), Advantage 1(2), Advantage 2(3), Advantage 3(4), Solvency(5). There would be 5 pieces of paper.

Lets say the 1NC had 1 T(6), 1 CP(7), 2 DA's(8 and 9) and made arguments on adv. 1(2), 2(3), and 3(4), as well as Solvency(5). As this point, there would be 9 pieces of paper.

That make more sense?

ahh yes! thank you sooo much! I'm glad to know that this community is so willing to help some random first-timer the day before a tournament :) it just proves that debaters are amazing!

Advantages get their own flows?

I've been taught to flow on-case on one piece of paper and all other off-case args on another sheet. So essentially, I'm flowing the entire 1AC on one paper including all the contentions/advantages. The 1NC is where I whip out other pieces of paper to flow additional off-case args. and I just flow any on-case on the same sheet I did for the 1AC.

For example's sake let's say I'm the 2AC flowing my partner's 1AC -

1AC (3 contentions) = 1 sheet of paper.

1NC - T, CP, + On-case = 2 New sheets of paper (T&CP) + continue flowing on the 1AC sheet for on-case.

Yes.

I've been taught to flow on-case on one piece of paper and all other off-case args on another sheet. So essentially, I'm flowing the entire 1AC on one paper including all the contentions/advantages. The 1NC is where I whip out other pieces of paper to flow additional off-case args. and I just flow any on-case on the same sheet I did for the 1AC.

1NC - T, CP, + On-case = 2 New sheets of paper (T&CP) + continue flowing on the 1AC sheet for on-case.

This makes for a really messy flow, and makes it impossible to get a complete flow of each portion of the 1AC. It really does need to be separated out the way everyone else has suggested.

there really isnt any right or wrong way to necessarily flow in a debate round, some people write notes in a notebook, some write out lines of text, some flow in columns from left to right, other right to left

some people even flow by drawing pictures to represent the round, anything is passable, the most important thing is that YOU understand what has been said and what you will say in response and that you can communicate with your partner

what other people have said is the most common ways of flowing, but not necessarily the only way, its still early for you so just find the best way that you can

• Upvote 1

There's no need to flow. If you're aff just listen to the impacts of the disad so you know what reps K to run, if you're neg, pull out Nuke Malthus, and if that doesn't link, then regular Malthus does!

• Upvote 1

As a very experienced judge, let me reinforce what brainjohn said about how to flow. Keeping each argument on its own sheet of paper (or worksheet if you use your laptop) is vital. Many debate judges are formalists, meaning we won't let a debater resurrect a position once dropped for a speech. This means you need to hit every argument on every speaking turn in the round. Succeeding in such a feat without flowing is like doing long division in your head - you'll feel smart until you get all the answers wrong. Succeeding while flowing on a single sheet or using one sheet for multiple arguments is nearly as difficult.

And some notes on how to keep it up in round:

1. Head each tag with a small circle with an "x" or whatever header letter/number for the arg (with ev)
  2. Use empty circles for analytics (no evidence)
  3. Leave space next to the circle so you can write the cite there - Having the tag won't help when your opponent starts using "zizek 98"
  4. Allow each point of yours to take at least an inch on the flow sheet - there may be more than one response offered
  5. Yes, that means you have to flow your own speeches

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes.

This makes for a really messy flow, and makes it impossible to get a complete flow of each portion of the 1AC. It really does need to be separated out the way everyone else has suggested.

Ok, that makes sense. I'll make sure to give advads their own flows next time. This'll definitely help in my organization.

:Flame: trees.

I think that term goes back to the olden days (like when I debated) when we flowed on basically two sheets of paper. The first sheet of paper was for the case (harms/advantages, inherency, contentions, definitions, etc.) and the other was for plan (disads, solvency arguments, workability, etc.).

Anyway, the "top of the flow" would refer to the first argument made by the opponents. Typically (in the olden days), the Aff would present definitions at the beginning of the case. The Neg would begin by arguing definitions and presenting topicality issues, then proceed to discuss each of the contentions. When the Aff stood up and said, "I'll start at the top of the flow," it meant he/she would start at the first argument: definitions and topicality. So really, the "top of the flow" is the "top" or beginning of the previous person's speech/arguments.

Start at the beginning, proceed through the middle, then end at the end. That's basic organization for any speech, including a debate speech.

Ok, that makes sense. I'll make sure to give advads their own flows next time. This'll definitely help in my organization.

:Flame: trees.

hence why people around my area seem to run the Paper K (lolz... no alt, and they claim you use too much flow/ have too many tubs of evidence)....

Edited by nukified
misspell