NANANANA

2009 Bob Bilyeu Winter Classic

Hello All,

I didn’t want to jump into everyone mix of fun, but it has come to my attention to shed some light on the current situation at hand. Should political movement function in debate? And if so how can there be equal reciprocity? I was very reluctant in writing this, but it has come to my attention that most of you all don’t understand the importance of social movement within debate. Most of us are bogged down by the negativity of “the project” and do not focus on the ethos. You ever wonder why every imx leads to nuclear war? Or even extinction? It’s because policy debate in a white male dominated game. This game was devolved in the 1960’s where the only threat to the white male was NECLEAR WAR! When debate started to become more diverse it simply overlooked diversity. We exist in a country where women didn’t get the right to vote until 1920’s. There movement has quite a lot of validity. Casey Arbenze wrote a study 1994 about the dominance and the hierarchy debate holds . These hierarchy are still enforced today and a lot of us are so brainwashed that we don’t notice them. I personally believe that we should attack there hierarchies instead of being complacent with them. Most people are like “Why do they have to win” or “ Why do they have to talk about race, or sexism.” Only by winning do people wake up! Only by winning can you confront and challenge the oppression. The equal reciprocity comes when people start looking down on diverse voice.

-Aaron

My question from earlier on has been ignored, and as you so graciously informed us of why the project team should win, I believe you could answer the other side of the coin. Why should I lose? If it's because I take part in a system of excluding women, then are you not excluding me? And were I to make a comment about a particularly bad team in the area being 'Fucking dumbasses', should I lose for that as well, as I am excluding dumbasses? Gender exclusion is bad, sure, but what makes it inherently worse than intellectual exclusion?

• Downvote 2

My question from earlier on has been ignored, and as you so graciously informed us of why the project team should win, I believe you could answer the other side of the coin. Why should I lose? If it's because I take part in a system of excluding women, then are you not excluding me? And were I to make a comment about a particularly bad team in the area being 'Fucking dumbasses', should I lose for that as well, as I am excluding dumbasses? Gender exclusion is bad, sure, but what makes it inherently worse than intellectual exclusion?

I have no idea what the teams running the argument say to these silly arguments but as someone who uses these mind games for years against project teams i can safely say that you're not getting anywhere with this.

A few things.

A. If they show why they win, it's a defacto reason why you lose. This isn't always true but it's more true in this case. They aren't excluding you. Unless you are saying women shouldn't be in debate, in which case all their impacts to patriarchy being bad probably are reasons why you should be left out. Now, if you're right about 'exclusion being inevitable' then that means the ballot should focus on who excludes less people/who would include more people and they are just on the right side of that debate.

B. Their 'you like the resolution/are a policymaker/etc' indicts are more than good. There are many, many authors who argue that before we can evaluate legislation we should examine the language and methodological foundations of said legislation. I cut 50 cards a week on this question iin relation to native american exclusion in policymaking.

C. You say 'but that'll destroy debate' as the terminal impact, they'll say two things:

1. They make a better world of better debate/argumentation by making us ethical debaters via rejection of switch-side debate/embracement of not losing our identity.

2. So what if they destroy debate - debate is bad as is. Their evidence is prescriptive of your evidence, your evidence isn't.

You ask a valuable question...why should you lose? Why should you win? Like any argument within debate it is a clash of mind. In this case its a clash of civilization, from the mental masturbation that debate get off to this ontologically questions you assumption or need to win. Now most of you think that well that the point of debate? Debate extends fair beyond winning, and in this case as to quote Bill Shannah "People dont come here to see you talk about race, they come here to see you do it in a competitive forum." Debate them on the merits, or better ideological principals. The same as you would do with Politix, CP , or the K. They are not calling for you to lose they are merely calling for them to win for a bigger cause. The same as you would do via IMX calc but again they are ontologically questioning they why you play the game. Either Justifiy that or one up them.

-Aaron

• Downvote 2

You ask a valuable question...why should you lose? Why should you win? Like any argument within debate it is a clash of mind. In this case its a clash of civilization, from the mental masturbation that debate get off to this ontologically questions you assumption or need to win. Now most of you think that well that the point of debate? Debate extends fair beyond winning, and in this case as to quote Bill Shannah "People dont come here to see you talk about race, they come here to see you do it in a competitive forum." Debate them on the merits, or better ideological principals. The same as you would do with Politix, CP , or the K. They are not calling for you to lose they are merely calling for them to win for a bigger cause. The same as you would do via IMX calc but again they are ontologically questioning they why you play the game. Either Justifiy that or one up them.

-Aaron

thank you aaron that is what all of us that are in the the movement have been trying to say all along, maybe coming from you others will take it in and actually think before they post on here

• Downvote 4

In this case its a clash of civilization, from the mental masturbation that debate get off to this ontologically questions you assumption or need to win.

wat

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

maybe coming from you others will take it in and actually think before they post on here

Yeah...and what happened to Rihanna was a shame.

• Downvote 1

P.S. sarcasm before the girls start complaining about this as well

Ach, girls. They constantly complain. Unlike men.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Never said we didn't, however it's inevitble that someone would say

"Blake's post really shows what the project is all about." or "I can't believe you would say something like this in a thread that is talking about sexism."

That being said, are you girls still breaking new at Joplin?

• Downvote 1

ha ha wow I've been ignoring all this but, whether I believe women are discriminated against in debate or not, I have chosen to suck it up and move on. Since the guys have obvoiusly made a joke about the case I think we can get farther in proving ourselves by becoming one of the exceptions than wallowing in self pity. Ben makes a good point when saying it should be considered in an earlier posting.

By the way, the parkview boys sexually harrass me everyday of my waking life...and probably my non-waking lol

By the way, the parkview boys sexually harrass me everyday of my waking life...and probably my non-waking lol

It's good for you...builds self confidence.

HAHA Clay was playing this one day in the squad room and it was the funniest shit ever.

It's hilarious. :D

• Upvote 1