MI Case list

I'll add our stuff to the list:

Aff's run by Dexter:

RPS

Nuclear Navy

Hemp (policy and kritikal)

Biodigesters

Avgas

I encourage other people to add their info to the list.

Edited by Hong Kong Phooey

Why are you giving out all your completely legitimate 100% guaranteed-to-be-run strategies? Don't you know that States is all about head-fakes, disinformation and politicking?

Aff's run by Dexter: [A big list of affs]
EK novices have run the following affs this year: [a big list of affs]
Okemos novices have run SBSP, and this weekend we also ran an OTEC aff. Okemos Varsity have run SBSP instate this year.

This thread will be valuable both to those who wish to promote their own reputation for fair competition, and those who wish to disseminate potentially misleading information in a plausibly deniable way. Huzzah, States is an intellectual REVENGE BLOODSPORT WHERE I CAN VERBALLY MURDER THESE TEENAGERS...oh my, I'm sorry, what came over me there?

What I meant to say was: Huzzah, States is the culmination of an intellectual activity that promotes critical thinking skills and celebrates the kids involved.

To quote me for about 10 years running, "States...brings out the best in everyone."

If you were looking to this thread for ACTUAL information (assuming that you are that gullible), here is the data I have compiled, which is an order of magnitude more correct than the data presented so far in this thread:

Brother Rice: Nuke the Moon

Chelsea: Nuke Brother Rice

DCD: No plan text, they just rap

Dexter: Something about dolphins

EK: Sell freedom-hating liberals on EBay

Eisenhower: Nuke Eisenhower/meta-SPARK

FHN: Whatever FHC does

FHC: Whatever FHN does

Gaylord: Harness the power of the Dutch Oven

Groves: A bunch of disads that they impact turn in the 1ac

HH Dow: Ironic Bhopal (get it?)

Holt: Consult Tylor Orme's beard

Mona: Counterfactual Nixon Impeachment. Zombie-Nixon-4-Life.

Okemos: Pixel Malthus

Pioneer: A free verse poem about rainbows

Portage: No rap, just 8 minutes of free verse Plan Text

Seaholm: Kritiking why Kansas is pronounsed 'can-sass' while Arkansas is pronounced '(ar)-can-saw' despite the fact that both words end with the letters K-A-N-S-A-S

West Bloomfield: A bunch of PMNs that they solve the brink for in the 1ac

I'd recommend you start researching now. Against these specific cases, Internet '08 has an amazing 8,000 word card that you can highlight down to 103 words, no two of which are contiguous in the original text.

Edited by Fun_Guy
  • Downvote 2

This is the funniest thing I've read today.

And I'm pretty sure that EK's new aff, the one I just learned about, results in divorce.

Why are you giving out all your completely legitimate 100% guaranteed-to-be-run strategies? Don't you know that States is all about head-fakes, disinformation and politicking?

This thread will be valuable both to those who wish to promote their own reputation for fair competition, and those who wish to disseminate potentially misleading information in a plausibly deniable way. Huzzah, States is an intellectual REVENGE BLOODSPORT WHERE I CAN VERBALLY MURDER THESE TEENAGERS...oh my, I'm sorry, what came over me there?

What I meant to say was: Huzzah, States is the culmination of an intellectual activity that promotes critical thinking skills and celebrates the kids involved.

To quote me for about 10 years running, "States...brings out the best in everyone."

If you were looking to this thread for ACTUAL information (assuming that you are that gullible), here is the data I have compiled, which is an order of magnitude more correct than the data presented so far in this thread:

Brother Rice: Nuke the Moon

Chelsea: Nuke Brother Rice

DCD: No plan text, they just rap

Dexter: Something about dolphins

EK: Sell freedom-hating liberals on EBay

Eisenhower: Nuke Eisenhower/meta-SPARK

FHC: Whatever FHN does

Gaylord: Harness the power of the Dutch Oven

Groves: A bunch of disads that they impact turn in the 1ac

HH Dow: Ironic Bhopal (get it?)

Holt: Consult Tylor Orme's beard

Mona: Counterfactual Nixon Impeachment. Zombie-Nixon-4-Life.

Okemos: Pixel Malthus

Pioneer: A free verse poem about rainbows

Portage: No rap, just 8 minutes of free verse Plan Text

Seaholm: Kritiking why Kansas is pronounsed 'can-sass' while Arkansas is pronounced '(ar)-can-saw' despite the fact that both words end with the letters K-A-N-S-A-S

West Bloomfield: A bunch of PMNs that they solve the brink for in the 1ac

I'd recommend you start researching now. Against these specific cases, Internet '08 has an amazing 8,000 word card that you can highlight down to 103 words, no two of which are contiguous in the original text.

Friggin hilarious.. What's wrong with PMN's anyways?

For Novice State, we'll still be running CTL Air Force, no surprises in store.

EDIT: There is a minor restructuring of advantages, but again, nothing that hasn't been seen this year.

Edited by C-Money
  • Downvote 1

Categorically false. Unless, of course, FHC is planning on passing their affirmative plan through executive order and then reading a huge pres powers good advantage in the 1AC like we are. Naturally, we'll be reading this ironically, with a realism good underview, scratch that, two underviews (aka the over-underview). The second one tells the judge to adopt a strict stock issues paradigm. Also, Zizek.

Categorically false. Unless, of course, FHC is planning on passing their affirmative plan through executive order and then reading a huge pres powers good advantage in the 1AC like we are. Naturally, we'll be reading this ironically, with a realism good underview, scratch that, two underviews (aka the over-underview). The second one tells the judge to adopt a strict stock issues paradigm. Also, Zizek.

See Pat, that's what FHC does, just sometimes they don't get to Zizek.

FHC doesn't do what FHN does at all. We peffer to go the ligit way and use all the branchs for our plan to pass :P

That's a Lie.

i would love to listen to a Nuke the moon case. i would pick some one up on it if they win the round. I hate voting on theory so i guess i would be a plus for the aff. I hate voting on abuse/potentional abuse.

the first article you found was pretty good, but the author could be questionable. Also i think the poltics link card is pretty rad.

i like the idea and i hope to see it being run by the time i start judgeing after high school.

I rarely read/post on cross-x, but I've noticed that Zack's effort at creating a case list for the State Tournament has been turned into some sort of joke. I think this is sad - a case list for the State Tournament would not only help everyone with pre-tournament preparations, but would also (I think) greatly improve both the quality of debates and their educational value. Yes, I understand schools will obviously break new affs and strategies, but come on - many schools (including my own) will be reading some of the arguments we've read throughout the season.

Disclosure seems to be a dicey issue in Michigan - many teams don't disclose because they think it's not strategic. While I know a lot of teams will read this post and still be unwilling to participate in "mutual disclosure" I hope you'll at least consider how beneficial it is for both debaters and judges alike.

Case outlines of most of the affs Groves has read are on this wiki: http://wiki.debatecoaches.org/index.php?title=Main_Page#Cross-Examination.2FPolicy_2008-2009

Outlines of all of the affs we've read at both in and out of state tournaments will be posted this week. Also, we'll be posting outlines of the politics and generic disads we've read.

If you don't feel like posting cites on the wiki, please at least take the time to add your plan text/advantages and generic disads you've read to this thread.

Props to Dexter and Okemos for already doing so.

Thanks in advance,

Katie Gjerpen, Assistant Coach at Groves

• Downvote 4

Stickied.

I definitely agree with Katie on this. I don't understand why some people think that just disclosing plan text will ruin their chances of winning. Disclosure increases in-depth education. I'd gladly debate anyone on the merits of disclosure vs. non-disclosure. Full cite disclosure is a reality on the national circuit and in college, why should in-state debate be different?

Brad

Edited by oneAC
  • Upvote 2

Thank you to everyone who has taken this thread seriously, but a minor request, could we start disclosing Aff outlines? Just giving a list of the affs you have run is essentially worthless, but full discloser (All tags, sites, first and last couple of words or all cards, complete plan text) is extremely helpful to prep for all schools, and increases the educational value of all debates.

Example:

Groves has run NIF.

That is interesting, but irrelevant to someone who has no idea what NIF is, stands for or wants to know what advantages we claim, what our federal key warrants are coming out of the 1ac, what our terminal impacts are, etc. Thus we took the time to essentially provide anyone who wants it with a complete copy of our 1ac. It would be highly appreciated if other schools/teams took the time to do the same. Thanks.

I'm working on creating a wikispaces page just for the state of Michigan. Updates soon.

@The Deacon

While I obviously agree with you, we probably are going to need to wait a few years before this is even close to reality. Remember, there are still teams who won't disclose PLAN TEXT before rounds. Those teams are never going to disclose their whole aff for everyone to see.

Edited by oneAC
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1