Trevor Bangs

Debate Team Documentary

Possibly the best film since "Citizen Kane," and certainly the best documentary since "When We Were Kings." I think it has Academy Award written all over it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We are happy to announce that the documentary will soon be showing in association with the UC Berkeley High School Debate Tournament, the California Invitational. The movie will be presented FREE TO ALL, on campus, in Dwinelle Hall, February 15, 2009. This is very exciting. The film makers will be in attendance, available to sign copies of the DVD. More details coming soon!

• Upvote 1

Strauss is in the interview. And Repko. And so many SDI lab leaders!

That made my day.

• Upvote 1

Just watched it in class the other day.

Great doc, highly recommend it for any audience.

WE CANT

MAYBE YOU SHOULD STEAL THE DVD AND TORRENT IT FOR THE REST OF US

• Upvote 1

I see two options:

a) Release my current excitement level by madly advocating that whoever has the DVD should post it or...

B) wait a few weeks and let my excitement reach a point of uncontrollable, unadulterated, raw utopian glee/ambrosia-to-the-soul when the DVD is available at Berkeley.

Hmmmmmmmmm....

• Upvote 1

All kidding aside...

For obvious reasons, I hope this film is a success, but I have no financial interest in it. So I'm not going to get into this "what do we post" business. I'm just dropping by to say:

1. I was greatly impressed (both emotionally and intellectually) by ALL of the other folks in the film, and I would love to meet them and "talk debate" with them. Please pass the word.

2. If anybody out there wants to "talk debate" with me - regarding the film, or anything else, I'm still around... gratis and grateful.

MHM JD

P.S. (1) I continue to believe debate is - and should be - a "search for truth" (at least in the context which I was using).

(2) There are not now, NOR HAVE THERE EVER BEEN, any circumstances under which I would intentionally hurt a puppy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

(2) There are not now, NOR HAVE THERE EVER BEEN, any circumstances under which I would intentionally hurt a puppy.

But when Strauss talks about it it's hysterical... =X

Just curious... did anybody who went to Berkeley actually see this film? If so, whaddya think?

I went to Berkeley and bought the film and have to say, I absolutely loved it

Just curious... did anybody who went to Berkeley actually see this film? If so, whaddya think?
I went, but missed the screening due to judging commitments. I did buy the DVD, and found the film well done. It is reminiscent of Errol Morris' movies (and not just because the Glass in the score was lifted from one).

Because this movie is so well done, I will not put a torrent up, and would encourage others to follow that example. The filmmakers need to sell the DVDs if they are to make another movie. Stealing is stealing, but stealing from poor, independent artists is just vile.

And on a personal note, you come off particularly well, I think. If you haven't seen it, watch Fog of War, the Morris doc on Robert McNamara. There are interesting parallels in commitment to goals and consequences.

• Downvote 1

Because this movie is so well done, I will not put a torrent up, and would encourage others to follow that example. The filmmakers need to sell the DVDs if they are to make another movie. Stealing is stealing, but stealing from poor, independent artists is just vile.

Yea i was about to put a torrent up but decided not to for the same reasons.

Yep. It was very well done, and is probably the most accurate debate documentary/film ever made. I'd recommend it.