tpeters

Colorado State Tournament - New Date

Because of conflicts with buildings, the State Tournament will be held at Highlands Ranch H. S. on March 13-14 (not March 20-21).

Please make note of this on your calendars.

Bumping... have a judging question that hopefully someone (peters?) can answer.

There's a possibility I'll be in Denver that weekend, and I'd like to judge. But, despite being a former state semi-finalist and college debate topic co-author (among other "quals" I think I have), I'm worried I'll be turned away because I don't have a CHSAA certification or secret membership card or something of that nature.

Anyone know what the procedure for judging at state is?

Bumping... have a judging question that hopefully someone (peters?) can answer.

There's a possibility I'll be in Denver that weekend, and I'd like to judge. But, despite being a former state semi-finalist and college debate topic co-author (among other "quals" I think I have), I'm worried I'll be turned away because I don't have a CHSAA certification or secret membership card or something of that nature.

Anyone know what the procedure for judging at state is?

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine without a super secret code ring. I mean hell, they let me in last year, so that means just about everybody should be able to judge, right?

The whole "certified" thing sort of faded about 5 years ago. Coaches can hire whomever they feel would be a good, qualified judge.

I suppose I could recommend you, Phil!

=======================================================

And to everyone thinking of judging:

One other note: don't forget that the CHSAA State Tournament is a stock issues tournament. All judges in CX will receive a note to that effect. If you feel you cannot judge according to the CHSAA rules, you are welcome not to come (or to judge other events).

To those of you who will have qualified:

The CHSAA State Tournament is a stock issues tournament. You can argue some other sorts of arguments (like kritiks), but you are still responsible for Significant Harms/Needs/Advantages, Inherency/Uniqueness, Topicality, and a Rational Plan (Solvency, no significant Disads). Counterplans must be non-topical, must be presented in the first NC, and must address all the harms/needs/advantages of the Affirmative.

Darn, I wish I had known sooner. This overlaps with my spring break, but I'm not coming home.

Good luck to all the teams that qualify though!

The date had to be changed because no school was available on that Friday. Highlands Ranch HS has no school on Friday, March 13. Because of the size of the State Tournament, it needs to begin at 8:00am on Friday. This is only the second time I recall the date of the state tournament being changed: the other was the blizzard in 2002(?).

By the way, the reason no buildings were available even though this date hadn't been a problem in the past has to do with CSAP. School districts around the state are moving their spring breaks later so as not to conflict with CSAP testing and make-ups. Jeffco's spring break, for example, has been moved from mid-March to the lastg couple days of March and first few days of April.

This is only the second time I recall the date of the state tournament being changed: the other was the blizzard in 2002(?).

2003. I remember that. :(