SPREZZIDENT

ncaa basketball 2008-2009

yes, clearly a team that ONLY relies on TWO players and one of them getting a tripple double, played shitty.

pa-fucking-lease.

Stop talking.

Kansas looked horrible yesterday. Yeah Collins scored a lot and Aldrich recorded a triple-double, but Dayton pretty much just handed him all of those stats. The rest of the team didn't step up and Brady Morningstar couldn't hit shit. I'm glad Kansas moved on, but if they had played anyone else that game, they probably would've lost.

And fuck you John Norris. State's going down on Friday.

Are you affiliated with Kansas or are you just a Kmart Jayhawk fan?

I knwo this is off subject, but i have been semi impressed with Arizona. They haven't played the greatest of teams. But their win over a ok Utah team was ok, and Clevland State played well against WF.

I knwo this is off subject, but i have been semi impressed with Arizona. They haven't played the greatest of teams. But their win over a ok Utah team was ok, and Clevland State played well against WF.

Cleveland State was ok against Wake... but it was more a case of Wake not showing up. When Wake decides they want to win, they're almost unbeatable... but the team that showed up against Cleveland State was the team that lost to GT, VT and NC St. For a team like them who had the best record of any team against teams that made the tournament, that was a downright disgraceful performance.

Also, MSU will win. I hate everything about KU since Lance Stephenson's people have been starting to let it leak that he'll sign there next week. Plus, Michigan State is just... better.

• Upvote 1

msu is better but it's tough to beat a team twice in one year. especially when they're not in your conference. i know you'll all say 'nah you're just saying that cuz you're a duke fan and michigan and yeah' but nah, this is common knowledge. that's literally the best reason to think ku will win, though, so you have to think msu SHOULD win...

..but i don't know that i'd put money on any one coach to squeeze a win out of their team that they shouldn't get more than i'd put money on bill self. and from a duke fan that's saying a lot.

I know its hard to sweep anyone... but its not even really the same situation as Duke and Michigan. They played each other twice within a few weeks, so it was almost as if they were in the same conference in terms of the amount of time between games. With months off in between games, its not like theyre all that familiar with each other anymore. But, I think its worth noting that a lot of MSUs major contributors got themselves into major foul trouble in their first meeting against KU... so its very possible that KU didnt even get MSUs best shot last time. Plus, KU isnt playing great ball right now. They were given a real test by a NDSU team that shouldnt be on the same court as them, and they didnt look that good against Dayton.

that shit was inevitable. they talk about Miles' guardian, Patterson a few times in the article. he lives on my street, i used to drive his son to school. hes not exactly the best guy in the world, though.

Miles is very, very troubled. it is ironic that the best player to come out of my hometown has to fuck up my favorite college basketball team. Four years ago when he was 16 he had a kid. i dont know where the kid is or if he has supported the mother. i know he has been all over the country playing since he left toledo.

with all the work connecticut did to try and get that kid eligible to play it doesnt surprise me at all that there was too much contact- they had to get him to the right schools, get him take the right tests, and then do well enough on them to get in to the school. In UCONNS defense, just about all of the improper contact happened AFTER he had committed to play there, and the monetary support he allegedly got did not come from the university directly, just some dude who wanted to become his agent.

im sure UCONN will be punished, but i hope the team isnt if they can keep winning. its not their fault Miles is a fuckup.

one last thing. ive written on here SEVERAL times about the type of player Miles is. the article you linked to mentions his "uncanny" shooting ability- that is a funny way of saying that the dude can pull up from 35 feet and shoot it at a high percentage. i used to watch him do it and all my friends and i could do is just laugh. UCONN would be the heavy favorite for a national title if they had his shooting, its their only weakness as presently constructed.

I know its hard to sweep anyone... but its not even really the same situation as Duke and Michigan. They played each other twice within a few weeks, so it was almost as if they were in the same conference in terms of the amount of time between games. With months off in between games, its not like theyre all that familiar with each other anymore.

I think more than just the fact that KU and MSU will know at least a little bit more of the others tendencies than normal, the revenge factor will come into play for this game which is something you really aren't accounting for with this post. There is NO doubt in my mind that KU will come out fired up and ready to roll. Knowing how good of a coach Izzo is, I expect MSU to come out too, but don't expect this KU team to roll over and die like they did in East Lansing.

But, I think its worth noting that a lot of MSUs major contributors got themselves into major foul trouble in their first meeting against KU... so its very possible that KU didnt even get MSUs best shot last time.

EVERYONE was in foul trouble that game man. KU had two of their primary post players foul out--in 22 minutes COMBINED. That is one of the worst games I have seen KU play this year, and most I've talked with (even MSU fans) admit that that was one of the better games that MSU has played. Something else to keep in mind:

KU's other starters and key reserves not named Aldrich or Collins in the game at East Lansing:

Freshman Taylor 18 min, 1/3 for 2 points, 0 assists, 2 TOs; Averages 26 MPG, 10 PPG, 3 APG

Freshman CMorris 8 min, 1/2 for 2 points, 0/2 FT, 0 Reb; Averages 18.6 MPG, 7.5 PPG, 4.8 RPG

Freshman KMorris 14 min, 2/4 for 4 points, 3 rebounds, Fouled Out; Averages 15.5 MPG, 4.7 PPG, 4.4 RPG

3rd game of season (recovering from injury), Little 8 min, 0/1 0 points, 3 rebounds, 1 TO, Fouled Out; Averages 14 MPG, 4.8 PPG, 3.3 RPG

That's a total of 8 points, 6 rebounds, 1 Assist, and 2 DQs from 4 key players who cumulatively average 27 PPG, 14.7 RPG, and 6 APG.

Morningstar and Reed were our only players outside of Collins and Aldrich who had games close to their normal statistical output and they were slightly below their averages as well.

Now give credit to MSU's defense, but the homecourt advantage and the toughness of MSU took a toll on the inexperienced players KU has. There is a reason why KU went off on a tear following that loss (16 of their last 19 games), and I think its because they finally realized what needed to happen.

Plus, KU isnt playing great ball right now. They were given a real test by a NDSU team that shouldnt be on the same court as them, and they didnt look that good against Dayton.

I would disagree in about NDSU. They had a bad draw with Aldrich, but if they play most other teams they come out with an upset. The only limit to that team was they lacked the ability to shut down a lottery pick center. Go back and watch Woodside and tell me he didn't belong on the court with anyone in college basketball this year. He would have pulled a number on Lucas or Walton faster than you could blink just as he did against Collins/Taylor/Appleton. He was this years Stephen Curry--just couldn't quite pull off the miracle run that Curry did.

Against dayton, we did everything we needed to do offensively, but the shots just weren't falling. we had our 2 best 3 pt shooters miss at least 5 or 6 open looks that game--both of whom shoot around 40 percent for the year. Brady Morningstar was among the Big XII leaders in 3pt percentage but went 0/4. If we shoot our normal percentage on open jump shots we blow them out in the first half. Note: they DID shoot about their normal percentage on jump shots, their offense is all about getting to the rim which is where Aldrich played such a big role.

I think you will see a very loose, much improved Kansas team from the one you saw in January. I do not expect to win, but I will be VASTLY surprised if this is anywhere near a blowout--for either team

I would disagree in about NDSU. They had a bad draw with Aldrich, but if they play most other teams they come out with an upset. The only limit to that team was they lacked the ability to shut down a lottery pick center. Go back and watch Woodside and tell me he didn't belong on the court with anyone in college basketball this year. He would have pulled a number on Lucas or Walton faster than you could blink just as he did against Collins/Taylor/Appleton. He was this years Stephen Curry--just couldn't quite pull off the miracle run that Curry did.

Against dayton, we did everything we needed to do offensively, but the shots just weren't falling. we had our 2 best 3 pt shooters miss at least 5 or 6 open looks that game--both of whom shoot around 40 percent for the year. Brady Morningstar was among the Big XII leaders in 3pt percentage but went 0/4. If we shoot our normal percentage on open jump shots we blow them out in the first half. Note: they DID shoot about their normal percentage on jump shots, their offense is all about getting to the rim which is where Aldrich played such a big role.

I think you will see a very loose, much improved Kansas team from the one you saw in January. I do not expect to win, but I will be VASTLY surprised if this is anywhere near a blowout--for either team

I know Woodside is very very good... but his supporting cast is no where near what Davidson's was last year. NDSU is essentially the same team as Davidson this year, one lights out shooter along with a bunch of other guys who are probably fringe D1 players. But Sherron Collins is still a better player than Woodside. Along with the rest of the 5 star kids on that team, NDSU probably shouldve gotten blown out.

I dont know if Dayton really shot as well as they usually do. 22% from the field is just god awful. KU was decent defensively, but there comes a point where a lot of the problems are on the offense itself. KU was good enough to win, but theres no question they can and have played better basketball on the year. That not to say that Bill Self cant get the best performance of the year out of KU tomorrow, but the last 2 NCAA games along with the Baylor game kinda leads me to believe that theres a decent chance that they wont play as well as they will have to to beat MSU.

Oh, and I never said anything about a blowout. These are 2 very talented teams and I'd be shocked if the game wasnt close throughout. I like MSU, but I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if KU managed to pull it off.

that shit was inevitable. they talk about Miles' guardian, Patterson a few times in the article. he lives on my street, i used to drive his son to school. hes not exactly the best guy in the world, though.

Miles is very, very troubled. it is ironic that the best player to come out of my hometown has to fuck up my favorite college basketball team. Four years ago when he was 16 he had a kid. i dont know where the kid is or if he has supported the mother. i know he has been all over the country playing since he left toledo.

with all the work connecticut did to try and get that kid eligible to play it doesnt surprise me at all that there was too much contact- they had to get him to the right schools, get him take the right tests, and then do well enough on them to get in to the school. In UCONNS defense, just about all of the improper contact happened AFTER he had committed to play there, and the monetary support he allegedly got did not come from the university directly, just some dude who wanted to become his agent.

im sure UCONN will be punished, but i hope the team isnt if they can keep winning. its not their fault Miles is a fuckup.

one last thing. ive written on here SEVERAL times about the type of player Miles is. the article you linked to mentions his "uncanny" shooting ability- that is a funny way of saying that the dude can pull up from 35 feet and shoot it at a high percentage. i used to watch him do it and all my friends and i could do is just laugh. UCONN would be the heavy favorite for a national title if they had his shooting, its their only weakness as presently constructed.

I doubt anything severe will happen to UConn. They'll probably get probation for 2 years or something. Reminds me of that Tarkanian joke "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, they put Cleveland State on probation". But, I think they probably deserve a bigger punishment... something like the loss of 2 scholarships seems to be about right. I mean, there is no one in the world who is shocked by this. I don't really have anything against the basketball program up there, but people knew there was some shady stuff going on up there years ago. Just look at the Rudy Gay recruitment. This stuff isnt really Nate Miles fault. Its not like he went crazy and now the program is picking up the pieces. The coaching staff knowingly and willingly violated the rules, and for that the program should be punished. And these violations are severe, just ask Kelvin Sampson.

Also, how did Rip Hamilton not notice all his money go missing? I mean, the dude took 1 million dollars... and it took Rip forever to find out.

Edited by gopal

I know Woodside is very very good... but his supporting cast is no where near what Davidson's was last year. NDSU is essentially the same team as Davidson this year, one lights out shooter along with a bunch of other guys who are probably fringe D1 players. But Sherron Collins is still a better player than Woodside. Along with the rest of the 5 star kids on that team, NDSU probably shouldve gotten blown out.

Mostly agree, but Woodside's strength is in his deceptive athleticism. He was great at getting to the hoop and then setting up others, where they had 3 or 4 lights out shooters on that team. They started off the game hitting like 5 or 6 of their first 8 3's. After that Woodside singlehandedly kept them in that game. It's really hard to blow a team out when they have someone who was as good as woodside was that game. Add that to the nerves of a young team playing under pressure, i honestly would not have been surprised if we had lost against NDSU.

I dont know if Dayton really shot as well as they usually do. 22% from the field is just god awful. KU was decent defensively, but there comes a point where a lot of the problems are on the offense itself. KU was good enough to win, but theres no question they can and have played better basketball on the year.
the percentage is misleading because normally dayton has the athletes to go to the rim and get high percentage shots, but that wasn't working against aldrich, and so they were forced to settle for jump shots. they are a BAD jump shooting team, have been all year, and KU just exposed them for that. I will agree that we have played better basketball on the year though, largely on the offensive end.

That not to say that Bill Self cant get the best performance of the year out of KU tomorrow, but the last 2 NCAA games along with the Baylor game kinda leads me to believe that theres a decent chance that they wont play as well as they will have to to beat MSU.
Certainly a fear of mine, but I think a large part of how poor we seem to have played recently is the pressure of the tournament and being the favorite against us. The entire team just seems tight with the exception of Sherron and Cole. Now we are no longer the favorites, and we have revenge on our side against MSU. I wouldn't count on seein the same KU that showed up against Baylor. This KU team seems more than any other i can remember to rise to the challenge. If KU plays as well as they have at parts this year (MU at home, @OU some others also) I think KU will pull it out.

Oh, and I never said anything about a blowout. These are 2 very talented teams and I'd be shocked if the game wasnt close throughout. I like MSU, but I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if KU managed to pull it off.

Can't say I disagree with any of this, except that I like KU and wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if MSU won. :D Can't wait for the game tomorrow, and I wish your team bad luck! ;)

Can't say I disagree with any of this, except that I like KU and wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if MSU won. :D Can't wait for the game tomorrow, and I wish your team bad luck! ;)

Haha. My team already had bad luck. Or recruiting I guess. I'm a Maryland fan. I'm just really glad I didnt think we'd make the tournament so I made plans and was busy when we got our shit rocked by Memphis.

[21:53] John Norris: seriously, that shot at the buzzer was just a big "FUCK YOU JOHN"

Haha. My team already had bad luck. Or recruiting I guess. I'm a Maryland fan. I'm just really glad I didnt think we'd make the tournament so I made plans and was busy when we got our shit rocked by Memphis.

oops, had you and someone else mixed up

that would explain the stephenson bitterness :)

trust me, KU fans have been feeling jilted on recruiting all year, I know how you're feeling. Stupid Xavier Henry....

that would explain the stephenson bitterness :)

trust me, KU fans have been feeling jilted on recruiting all year, I know how you're feeling. Stupid Xavier Henry....

Yeah, the worst part is... he led us to believe he was coming here for a while. Vasquez got his hopes all up too and now it looks like Vasquez is gone unless Stephenson signs. UMD fans are desperate at this point. No Vasquez or BR and we're an NIT team without a clear path back up. With both, we're at least a sweet 16 team and some of our top 2010 recruits probably stay home. Sigh, kid would probably be the second coming of Steve Francis (not in terms of his game, but his effect on the program). Anyhow, enough with that. I can file this one away with the loss of Rudy Gay, Tyree Evans, Terrence Jennings, Deron Williams, and... I need to stop before I drive myself insane.

Rock. Chalk. Suck my Cock.

LETS GO STATE!

(altho, to be fair, i dont think we'll beat Louisville)

LETS GO STATE!

yes you will

also, that gonzaga over UNC pick was silly

Edited by Oscar the Grouch

LETS GO STATE!

now now, no need to be hostile! ;)

that was really a well played game by both teams. The only person KU had that looked comfortable with the ball was Sherron, and so all MSU had to do was double him and the game was essentially over. Our inexperience showed that last minute, but I was really happy to see how hard we were working on defense. I've heard that you are a very young team (i dont know your roster well enough), but if that is true and collins/aldrich come back i would LOVE to see a rematch again next year.

Good luck the rest of the tournament, you are one team that i would really like to see win it all.

Im 4th in the Crossx bracket pool, but i think im the happiest of anyone on here.

LETS GO STATE!

Also, any player that has stayed with Izzo for 4 years has made at least one final 4.

Also, any player that has stayed with Izzo for 4 years has made at least one final 4.

yes, but you had no faith in your own team. its a little disapointing

yes, but you had no faith in your own team. its a little disapointing

You lose to Northwestern, you get on edge about your team.

Also, we lost to George Mason my junior year.