Sign in to follow this  
Strawberry666

Kritik of the word "should" or moral obligations

I'm writing a kritik of the word "should" in both the resolution and any plan text starts with "the usfg should..."

this would work best against an aff with a moral obligation/value to life impact

It goes pretty much:

Link: you use the word should. this implies a moral obligation

Moral obligations are part of the 'natural right' or 'natural law', which is the right that all humans have to objects such as life

Impact: 'natural law' is bad because it is a very faulty argument that cannot be proven, the only way we can ever solve anything is if it can be proven, (i have this card on how empirical proof is best). since when the universe was created, nature did not create a 'right' or a 'wrong', and did not create a moral law for us to follow, we shouldn't follow any such law, we should instead follow the laws of science and prove that anything we do if useful.

Alt: the plan text, but with the word "will" instead of "should"

so:

1. does this make any sense?

2. suggestions/ good articles i can use?

3. answers to the K?

Thanks,

Ana O.

Guest svfrey

1. yes

2. Look for articles by a dude named Zygmunt Bauman, specifically "Life in Fragments: Essays on Postmodern Moralities"

3. levinas/derrida

Edited by svfrey
  • Upvote 1

First, not all claims of moral obligation are based in natural law. You'll want better links than that.

Second, this argument is called "normativity."

• Upvote 1

I agree with organization XIII. this sounds like nietzsche gone wrong. I don't think you want to read this shit as a discourse pic, or base all of your links around the word 'should'.

I think that if you do you will have a very time spinnnig a good link story and you will not really have impacts. When has saying the word should gone wrong?

i understand moral obligations have been bad in the past, but i don't think that is because of 'natural law' or 'should.' Just roll with nietzsche. I can get you some cites for that shit if you are interested

Anyone that critiques the enlightenment should have a lot of criticism of the existence of normative ethical statements implying obligation as a legitimate category of ethical reasoning. You're also succeptable to others who have accepted a reidenfication with enlightenment ideals ala Derrida and obligation to the others as found in Of Hospitality. Lots of info on this topic, but im not entirely sure it's the best way.