Y?

Kritikal College Teams?

...anything on any of those 10? I realize UCLA doesn't exactly have a team right now. Haha.

Actually, UCLA is starting up a team with help from Nick Felice. One of my friends (who is into the K lit) is debating for them this year.

Actually, UCLA is starting up a team with help from Nick Felice. One of my friends (who is into the K lit) is debating for them this year.

Yeah. My friend's brother debates at UCLA and told us they were trying to start up a team.

i love threads like these because people get to namedrop likea motherfucker which makes them feel superior to other people.

Schools I'm Currently Considering:

1. UC Berkeley

2. Northwestern

3. NYU

4. USC

5. UCLA

6. Whitman

7. University of Richmond

8. UT - Austin

9. Cal Poly San Luis Obipso

10. Cal State Long Beach

...anything on any of those 10? I realize UCLA doesn't exactly have a team right now. Haha.

The only one I know anything about is NYU - they work in a combine with Columbia and Fordham (sure about CU, not sure about Fordham). Will Baker was (and I believe still is) the coach when I was at Columbia. That combined team generally does very well, as would be expected by the broad and highly competitive academics at the schools included. Will Baker also runs (or did run) the NYC UDL and does a terrific job at it. If you go to NYU, be sure to give back by helping the UDL there - there are a lot of kids there who need the guidance.

I love Blake and BMcB. :) Haha. The two of them and Teddy Albiniak were my lab leaders this past summer at UTNIF. <3

And yeah... I've emailed the coaches from the schools I've been looking at.

Awesomeee... Richmond's on my list.

You know, it'd probably help if I posted that list. Haha.

Schools I'm Currently Considering:

1. UC Berkeley

2. Northwestern

3. NYU

4. USC

5. UCLA

6. Whitman

8. UT - Austin

10. Cal State Long Beach

to rep Cal Poly. We're very competitive regional. We recently lost a lot of debaters to graduation so we're definitely re-building. If you debated for us you'd probably be able to get a lot more exposure and coaching with us than a lot of other of the larger programs.

This is probably something you'll need to consider. There is often a trade-off with going to one of the top tier debate schools like Berkeley, Harvard, etc you'll be one of a LOT of teams. Sure there are great coaching staffs but you won't be a top priority to them. Likewise, for a small school you don't have as large of a staff but you're a "bigger fish in a smaller pond" so you have room to succeed and arguably more room.

We really debate both sides of the spectrum. Our head coach prefers policy args but our assistant is fairly critical so you got a lot of balance. For example, me and my partner have been running performance arguments recently.

Academically, in most technical fields, we're really top notch, our "learn by doing" philosophy is very attractive to a lot of employers in fields like business, engineering, etc. Plus its very cheap if cost is an issue, I think our in state tuition is like 5-6K obviously there is housing to pay and even out of state is only like 14-15K or so I don't have exact figures but you can find them online. Its pretty cheap and you get a lot of bang for your buck no matter what your major is.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about Cal Poly.

One other squad that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet that is doing a lot of K stuff recently is Kansas State.

Something we've been trying to fix, I promise, but you know... we keep running into bugs and mishaps we didn't think of when we built the system.

to rep Cal Poly. We're very competitive regional. We recently lost a lot of debaters to graduation so we're definitely re-building. If you debated for us you'd probably be able to get a lot more exposure and coaching with us than a lot of other of the larger programs.

This is probably something you'll need to consider. There is often a trade-off with going to one of the top tier debate schools like Berkeley, Harvard, etc you'll be one of a LOT of teams. Sure there are great coaching staffs but you won't be a top priority to them. Likewise, for a small school you don't have as large of a staff but you're a "bigger fish in a smaller pond" so you have room to succeed and arguably more room.

We really debate both sides of the spectrum. Our head coach prefers policy args but our assistant is fairly critical so you got a lot of balance. For example, me and my partner have been running performance arguments recently.

Academically, in most technical fields, we're really top notch, our "learn by doing" philosophy is very attractive to a lot of employers in fields like business, engineering, etc. Plus its very cheap if cost is an issue, I think our in state tuition is like 5-6K obviously there is housing to pay and even out of state is only like 14-15K or so I don't have exact figures but you can find them online. Its pretty cheap and you get a lot of bang for your buck no matter what your major is.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about Cal Poly.

Oh, awesome. I was wondering about SLO. I hadn't heard much about the team and was wondering what it was like.

Noo idea. It wasn't as bad as that bad K of authority that one of the Cornell teams ran though... do you know him, Zain?

:P

sounds familiar actually -- something about constitutive lack or some shit like that.....

The only one I know anything about is NYU - they work in a combine with Columbia and Fordham (sure about CU, not sure about Fordham). Will Baker was (and I believe still is) the coach when I was at Columbia. That combined team generally does very well, as would be expected by the broad and highly competitive academics at the schools included. Will Baker also runs (or did run) the NYC UDL and does a terrific job at it. If you go to NYU, be sure to give back by helping the UDL there - there are a lot of kids there who need the guidance.

Well, Columbia as split off from the Impact Coalition and joined The New School, but its still a solid program with a lot of talented debaters.

Something we've been trying to fix, I promise, but you know... we keep running into bugs and mishaps we didn't think of when we built the system.

Like the aff you read at NJDDT? That was pretty lulz.

Well, Columbia as split off from the Impact Coalition and joined The New School, but its still a solid program with a lot of talented debaters.
Will Baker is almost a good enough reason on his own - a real class act.

i love threads like these because people get to namedrop likea motherfucker which makes them feel superior to other people.

Klinger told me namedropping was totally uncool. He told me that at the bar when he was hanging out with Calum and Branson.

Will Baker also runs (or did run) the NYC UDL and does a terrific job at it. If you go to NYU, be sure to give back by helping the UDL there - there are a lot of kids there who need the guidance.

Will still runs the NYUDL and it is going strong. We are really getting some good teams being produced. If you go to NYU work with the UDL we like college kids helping us more than coaches most of the time.

Klinger told me namedropping was totally uncool. He told me that at the bar when he was hanging out with Calum and Branson.

"ONCE I WAS WALKING BY SARA APEL AND BRIAN MCBRIDE AND THEY WERE HAVING A TALKING EXCHANGE AND THEY SAID HI TO ME AND THEN I BUMPED INTO KLINGER AND WE SNORTED SOME COKE IN THE BATHROOM AND THEN AFTER THAT I SAW SCOTTY PHILLIPS AND GOOF GAREN HAVING A TICKLING CONTEST AND THEY BOTH ASKED ME TO BE ON THEIR TEAM BUT I HAD TO DECLINE BECAUSE I WAS MEETIN KAMAL GHALI FOR A LUNCH DATE BUT I GOT SIDE TRACKED BECAUSE DAN SHALMON AND TJENDER SINGH STOPPED ME AND ASKED IF I KNEW THE SCORE FOR THE CURRENT GAMING MATCH ON TELEVISION. I TOLD THEM NO AND WENT AND DRANK A GALLON OF ORANGE JUICE THAT DAVE STRAUSS GAVE ME. THEN IN MY ORANGE JUICE INDUCED STUPOR I THOUGHT I SAW GRETA STAHL ENGAGED IN CUNNILINGUS WITH STACY NATHAN BUT IT WAS JUST A CAT HUMPING A FIRE HYDRANT.

THE END.

you stupid fucks."

http://www.cross-x.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1118395&postcount=63

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

seriously, Central Oklahoma is sweet.

we have scholarships, we have one of the most universally critical teams in the nation, we are fucking cool and let's not kid ourselves: we're probably the prettiest. (and it is not too difficult to get in - i am living proof of this).

>>>1. UC Berkeley

2. Northwestern

3. NYU

4. USC

5. UCLA

6. Whitman

8. UT - Austin

10. Cal State Long Beach

Probably Berkeley and Northwestern are your best bets.

Ut Austin and USC would be cool as well. And Whitman and Richmond are likewise quality choices.

I would not pick Cal Poly Slo. To my knowledge they are not even ranked 10th in their region and don't have a national travel schedule. The coaching style is far too hands off to ever make them a nationally competitive school.

• Downvote 1

>>>1. UC Berkeley

2. Northwestern

3. NYU

4. USC

5. UCLA

6. Whitman

8. UT - Austin

10. Cal State Long Beach

Probably Berkeley and Northwestern are your best bets.

Ut Austin and USC would be cool as well. And Whitman and Richmond are likewise quality choices.

I would not pick Cal Poly Slo. To my knowledge they are not even ranked 10th in their region and don't have a national travel schedule. The coaching style is far too hands off to ever make them a nationally competitive school.

rankings...seriously you care about rankings. If rankings is your issue we're probably well into the top ten of D1. Our novices this year have been in late out-rounds of every regional tournament they've been to, surprising considering our current lack of varsity debaters. Nevertheless our squad is growing right now and now isn't exactly our high.

Yes we have a mainly regional schedule LARGELY in part of our young squad at the moment. Our coaches plan on adding more national travel tournaments as we get more experienced members to send, sure we don't go to as many as say Gonzaga but we're fairly competitive I'd say.

Yes our coaches are fairly hands off but those programs that hand you cards to read are the real problem. I also disagree with some of our coaching tactics but coaches don't make the squad its the debaters. Also our head coach might be hands off but our assistant coach is really hands on with the help he gives the varsity debaters.

If you go to berkeley you'd probably not be traveling nationally either unless you're cream of the crop they have two tiers of debaters, one thats like Burshteyn and the top 4 teams that go the circuit and the rest just travel regionally. You don't get any of their benefits until maybe your 3rd year at best unless you're really talented.

I'm not stupid enough to believe we're the best school or one of the top schools in the region but we're still competitive and we do our best.

Don't diss schools you don't know about.

Edited by magicmasterk
  • Upvote 1

^^^^ Word

Cal Poly actually has an excellent team this year considering how small they are. Most of the teams in our region are actually like that right now. But Cal Poly's novice team is doing great, I've seen them debate twice this year and they have a lot of potential.

Dom and Kenneth.... well.... are cyborgs. We've debated them once this year last weekend and it came down to a squirly theory argument that won us the round. But non-the less they were the better team and could definitely go places, and are probably going to get the 5th or 6th NDT spot (fingers crossed for you guys)

And no offense to Berkely, but you'd really have a better chance of travelling nationally, at least at first, at one of the smaller schools. Brendon and Nima and Suraj and Anjan are all good teams. And Cici and TJ are fantastic and so are Kathy and Andres, but they really only travel their top two teams, the rest compete locally just like the rest of us. At least we have a chance to go to district quals though whereas they dont

just my two cents

I hope they make it to the NDT. My speculation was just that. I'm sorry. But I wasn't that far off for Spring 2008.

1. California 417

2. Southern California 401

3. San Francisco State 328

4. Southwestern 285

5. CSU Fullerton 270

6. CSU Sacramento 261

7. Cal. State Chico 253

8. Pepperdine 245

9. Cal Poly SLO 212

10. Redlands 209

11. CSU Northridge 154

12. East Los Angeles College 39

13. Loyola Marymount (CA) 22

14. Santa Clara 17

And certainly a national rank of #59 in varsity isn't to be dismissed for such a small school in the Spring 2008 rankings.

The following are the national rankings of some of the schools the questioner mentioned:

• California #9

• USC #13

• Texas #14

• Whitman #19

• Central Okalhoma #31

In addition to how well a squad has done in the past, it is important that you find out what the

a) team feel is from someone on the squad

B) responsibility level

c) how much you will get to travel.

PS having hard working students plus hardworking coaches isn't mutually exclusive. All the biggest squads do it well. Michigan State may be one of the best.

Also, when you're debating against squads who have tons of help, its nice to have someone in your corner to cut a few on-point cards.

I think there is something to be said for squads that don't require people to work their tails off. You're only in college once. Spending all that time on Lexis-Nexus, is hardly ideal. Live a little.