Sign in to follow this  
TheHutt

Signed, The Management

dilbert960902-7299.gif

So there's some new management for this forum.

In terms of moderation duties, I don't have any major changes planned. I may be doing minor amounts of (re)organizing, but other than that it should be business as usual.

As for my moderation policies, if it's on topic and/or vaguely amusing I generally won't touch it. I would trust that everyone is mature enough to know when they've crossed a certain line in terms of content.

Let me know what your VD-related needs or wants are and I'll try to get back to you promptly.

- Nick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest svfrey

I think TheHutt is a pretty cool guy. eh mods virtual debates and doesnt afraid of anything.

I'll basically follow the same moderation policy.

you should update the wiki

After my college stuff is done I will try and get around to that.

Also, the sign-up thread has been pruned for sanity's sake.

There's been some disagreement concerning what the policy on spectator comments is/should be. Let's clear it up.

Officially: Comments are not allowed, period.

Reality: Rule is ignored up to the point where a debate participant requests comment deletion.

I agree that commentary makes the forum livelier and adds an element of entertainment that would otherwise be missing. On the flip side, I also agree that, when in excess, or when germane to the debate arguments themselves, commentary can become overly disruptive. I don't want to go all-in or all-out on the issue.

In my view there are two options:

1) Keep the status quo - eliminate official policy calling for no comments, but if either debaters or judges feel comments are getting out of hand they may request deletion with no questions asked.

2) Debaters agree before the 1AC is posted whether comments are to be permitted. If comments are not allowed, this should be specified in the first post of the thread. Otherwise, it is ASSUMED that comments are acceptable. Comments would not be deleted unless obviously related to arguments made in the round. Moderators retain executive discrection to remove inappropriate comments.

At the moment I'm leaning slightly towards adopting #2. Post feedback as to which you prefer (or if there's something else entirely you have in mind), and I'll take it into account when I make a decision sometime later this week.

- TheHutt

• Upvote 1

um...just a quick question (im not sure if its supposed to be here, so if its not, sry D:)

my vdebate got deleted/ is no longer in existence, just wondering if thats normal or something weird happened?

• Upvote 1

hello.

i talked to thehutt, and there won't be any major changes in terms of moderation. i believe that as a moderator, i should only delete/edit posts for organizational purposes. completely off-topic / inappropriate posts will be moved to another forum, and offensive posters will be issued infractions.

our goals for this term are to keep a smoothly-run forum while improving the organization of virtual debates. we will update the wiki and keep track of some statistics that may help debaters pick their opponents.

while thehutt will be doing most of the wiki editing until the summer, we are looking for any individuals who wouldn't mind adding two or three debates a day. the procedure to edit the wiki is here. it would probably take a few minutes a day, and if there were five people willing to contribute, we'd finish in less than weeks. any help would be largely appreciated.

after the wiki is updated, we will be introducing a policy to make it so that debaters can only start a virtual debate if they add their round to the wikipedia. this would take a fraction of the time an actual round takes.

if you have any requests/questions/would like to volunteer to help, please PM me or post here.

-dayman

Guest wutlol
we will update the wiki and keep track of some statistics that may help debaters pick their opponents.

while thehutt will be doing most of the wiki editing until the summer, we are looking for any individuals who wouldn't mind adding two or three debates a day. the procedure to edit the wiki is here. it would probably take a few minutes a day, and if there were five people willing to contribute, we'd finish in less than weeks. any help would be largely appreciated.

after the wiki is updated, we will be introducing a policy to make it so that debaters can only start a virtual debate if they add their round to the wikipedia. this would take a fraction of the time an actual round takes.

qfa

The forum management has shifted yet again, and I feel that I should probably keep you updated on what my plans are for the forum. As far as day-to-day things go, my policies are similar to those of past moderators. If there's something clearly out of place or if someone issues a complaint, I'll deal with it. The only times I'll tamper with posts is if it's vital to the organization of the forum. You'll notice that many thread names are being changed. The idea is to make the forum more organized, regardless of whether or not the wiki gets done. Make sure to look to the "rules and how-to" thread on how to name your virtual debates. You'll see that there are quite few rounds marked "dead". Let's try to get more completed rounds.

On that note, I still have quite a bit of work before I can finally begin updating the wiki. I plan was to do as much as I can in these next few weeks, but I'm not making any guarantees (the history of the forum proves that these things often get delayed). On the other hand, I'll try to be as punctual as I can be.

Finally, I'm considering creating a sub-forum for discussions of the rules and procedures. This would serve organizational purposes, meaning that virtual debates would be separate from other threads in the forum. This would be helpful for those who want to refer back to how the rules developed or what has been discussed. What do you think?

Let me know if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions for the forum.

Finally, I'm considering creating a sub-forum for discussions of the rules and procedures. This would serve organizational purposes, meaning that virtual debates would be separate from other threads in the forum. This would be helpful for those who want to refer back to how the rules developed or what has been discussed. What do you think?

I like this. Less clutter is always good.

It's been a while since I've sent out an official update on what has been going on in the forum. As you can see, the threads are a lot more organized now because many of the titles have been changed to reflect the round accurately. Enforcement of the thread has been through normal means, and I haven't had too much trouble with that. I really want to encourage debaters to finish their rounds, because that just makes us look better.

Unfortunately, my suspicion that I would not be able to finish the wiki in time were realized. I invested a lot of time during winter break into recording a lot of the rounds. I ended up being a lot more busy than I expected I would be, so the project came to a halt. Now I'm back at school, so I have barely any time to devote to the wiki. I want to see how many people are still interested in this. If there is a high demand, I can try to get a group of people together to work on it. The more we hold this off, the more work it becomes.

The last subject I want to bring up is concept I had earlier to create a sub-forum. I tried to get Mat in on the idea, but he said that there's no need for it at the moment. I would like comments on this from you. Do you think it would be a good idea to create a rules and procedures sub-forum?

I know cross-x.com recently crashed, erasing about a month of virtual debate posts. As far as I know, there isn't much that can be done about this situation. If your thread got deleted mid-round, I suggest that if you want to finish the virtual debate, create a new thread (notice that you'll probably have to create a new round number too) and post the speeches that have already meed made. Good luck, and thanks for putting up with all the recent confusion.

I know cross-x.com has changed recently to a slightly different format, and I need a little bit of time to adjust to it in order to continue moderating it properly as I have done in the past. So just bear with me.

Also, I've been moderating this forum for several years now, and although I don't mind continuing to do this, I have been having less and less time recently due to my college workload to do the usual forum upkeep. The vdebate wiki is now gone, since the project has been abandoned for so long, but I'm sure the cross-x.com community would be interested in some new ideas for this forum. If anyone is interested in being a new moderator for this forum, let me know. I'm not sure when the next time cross-x.com elections are going to be, but I'm planning to step down pretty soon and let someone else take over.

Do you think we could implement a better labeling system for vdebate threads? As someone who likes to view the rounds just for fun, it would be nice to know which ones are complete, dead, in progress, etc.