Ozmanks

If Obama wins

Does it knock the national healthcare topic out of consideration for the 2009 topic? That's basically what he wants.

Does it knock the national healthcare topic out of consideration for the 2009 topic? That's basically what he wants.

Yeah, but when has a president gotten what he wants? Sure, he will push it, but that just means that the politics cards will be amazing, not that the topic should be out of concideration.

PS. Space 09-10

Yeah, but when has a president gotten what he wants? Sure, he will push it, but that just means that the politics cards will be amazing, not that the topic should be out of concideration.

PS. Space 09-10

Yes, but has a president ever had such a huge majority of his party projected to be in the house/senate? The way the media hypes Obama, you would think the guy could cure cancer just by touching someone.

The space topic looks to be pretty cool for next year, too bad I won't be around to debate it.

• Downvote 1

Am I the only one who's missing out on this "media hype"? Where is it? What am I doing wrong?

i suppose they don't post election news on 9/11 conspiracy websites

lol at this rep

You've heard about both Operation Northwoods and PNAC, right? ~Hellfish

I swear you could just make this shit up as you go. Hey Hellfish, have you heard about the OPFS and operation microcosm?

Edited by Needs More Consult Japan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm with you, Hellfish. I think "the media loves Obama" is just another way of saying, "I'm losing and I don't what to do about it."

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I don't know how many more horrible science debates I can take in the context of space. Debaters are generally horrible at science and debate rounds on this can become boggled in stupid science debates that no one understands.

That and the aff will have a hard time on the space topic. Politics or any DA with a short time frame will be the end of silly space affs.

And an Obama win will not end the health care topic as an option. He's already admitted he's putting it low in his priorities, and I agree this will make politics links amazing.

When we debated the previous health care topic, the fact that it was a national priority made researching tons easier AND lots of states were trying new and different things. Mrs. Clinton was heading up task forces and hearings on health care, so there were lots of testimonies to mine for evidence. The state that was at the vanguard (as I remember) was Oregon. So I think the topic would be debatable even if Obama wins. Furthermore, debaters could argue "not this, not now" in response to whatever Obama is able to get passed.

• Upvote 1

The 93-94 health care topic was not particularly hurt by what was going on in Washington. Strict policy-maker teams took the approach that what we were debating was what Clinton's plan should look like when it finally emerged (there were several popular models to choose from; interestingly, the one Hillary eventually seleted was NOT the one chosen by Aff teams in general), and kritikal teams took the position that all such approaches to medicine were fatally flawed and we needed to "rethink" our relationship between medical sience & human health.

I still believe that the topic MOST damaged by recent events is the space topic; massive federal deficits make most of the big-impact cases out of reach, and the lack of a space delivery system of our own (plus increasingly frosty relations with Russia) make anything in near-space unlikely to happen. Meanwhile, the short-term politics & financial DAs have these really short time frames while space benefits are decades or more away.

• Upvote 2

the topic choices are now health care and poverty. Space lost by 2 votes. Dammit.

Great, now everyone is going to be talking about welfare and medicare/medicaid.

Great, now everyone is going to be talking about welfare and medicare/medicaid.

that must offend your sensibilities.

that must offend your sensibilities.

No, but it's going to be a boring year when you know medicare/medicaid and welfare are going to be focused on heavily.

I don't think those topics are particularly boring. There is a deep literature on both. I debated poverty eons ago, and it was fine. My preference would be health care.