BlocksfromBlock

Arkansas Debaters!!!

First off. the monticello tournament was not cancelled it was postponed until next weekend. Second, please forward the petition to me through derek he has my address. Derek = fire of the mist

First off. the monticello tournament was not cancelled it was postponed until next weekend. Second, please forward the petition to me through derek he has my address. Derek = fire of the mist

I'll just copy and paste it from the Facebook group.

The new one please. Even though it is a little, "controversial" now. Also, Chris, keep it quiet. I don't want this out until I want it out.

Oh and Dawkins, I'm trying to push the rest of Fayetteville into signing the petition. I think it will help tremendously. Though I am much less opposed to change from our habit of "Old School Debate" haha

There's a fairly large difference between "old school debate", and what some of your teams try to pull off -.-

Thanks Chris. Also, there have been minor edits made to that version. We now have a more final version.

I am having some trouble finding the facebook group for this, but i have reviewed the said document. I believe the second version has more passable items. If you would like to email me the newest final-er version send it to brownc2008@gmail.com

The group is called "Arkansas Debaters".

Well, it finally broke out for everyone to see. Fayetteville is highly discouraging spreading through speaking penalties.

I'm wondering, how did people find out? It was pretty damn hard to find if you weren't looking for it and the only reason I knew about it was research for something else.

I would go just to spread and get really angry, but unfortunately I think I'll be going to UGA.

Well, it finally broke out for everyone to see. Fayetteville is highly discouraging spreading through speaking penalties.

I'm wondering, how did people find out? It was pretty damn hard to find if you weren't looking for it and the only reason I knew about it was research for something else.

I heard it was on the invitation for the tournament, but I'm not sure. I talked to Joe Kieklack today, and he said the punishment for spreading was not going to be enforced; Hollis was just mad about spreading when he sent it.

Even if it is punished, I don't really care. I'll read as fast as I want.

I heard it was on the invitation for the tournament, but I'm not sure. I talked to Joe Kieklack today, and he said the punishment for spreading was not going to be enforced; Hollis was just mad about spreading when he sent it.

Even if it is punished, I don't really care. I'll read as fast as I want.

It was buried pretty deeply in the rules for their tournament when I found it.

Fayetteville is highly discouraging spreading through speaking penalties.

This is pretty ridiculous. Several concerns:

1) Shouldn't this be left up to the judge that actually watches the round?

2) How will the tab room even know whether or not a debater engaged in "spreading?"

3) What constitutes "spreading?" Is there a bright line we can use to determine an acceptable rate of speech?

4) Even if Hollis doesn't intend to enforce this rule, he can if he wants to, because it's "on the books."

What a farce. Yet more intervention into the debate community from dinosaurs who think they know but they don't know.

I would either boycott this tournament, or do what Derek suggested.

I fail to see what the big deal is, so somebody read an invitation, if there is something that needs to be hidden in the invite why was it put in there in the first place? Second how are they gonna really enforce a ban on spreading and besides that how many judges don't already penelize for spreading on the arkansas circuit? Not many. the only reason i can see putting this in the invite is to kind of protest the way some debaters spread. As such i think it's merit can be considered but shall have no considerable impact on the way the tournament is run or judged. Ideals for judging are not gonna change at the door.

This is pretty ridiculous. Several concerns:

1) Shouldn't this be left up to the judge that actually watches the round?

2) How will the tab room even know whether or not a debater engaged in "spreading?"

3) What constitutes "spreading?" Is there a bright line we can use to determine an acceptable rate of speech?

4) Even if Hollis doesn't intend to enforce this rule, he can if he wants to, because it's "on the books."

What a farce. Yet more intervention into the debate community from dinosaurs who think they know but they don't know.

I would either boycott this tournament, or do what Derek suggested.

Or perform

well as for the fayetteville tournament, if you have me in the back please read faster i wanna let hollis know about how awesome of a round i got to watch where there were 2 teams talking faster than conversational pace. Then again, go Hollis, control your tournament. Allow everyone to know how absurd your calls for blatant intervention are. If judges dont "have" to count down speaker points for sock puppets/performance/project affs, then why do judges have to count down speaker points for teams that speak quickly. 1. Run sock puppets 2. Debate to the best of your ability 3. Lol @ dinos

Lol @ dinos

My favorite quote from Hollis was when he was presenting awards at the novice breakout this year. It was something like "I think this tournament is important for our varsity debaters as well. Some times they can provide better advice for the novice that our lay judges." (quote is paraphrased)

I look at my coach and started to laugh. He's one of the nicest guys I know... but still.

Edited by FireOfTheMists

For Novice, IMO it's:

1. Jordan Shoesmith [3rd speaker at B-ville, debates champ as a novice and still gets noticeably high speaks (and extemps well)]

2. Caity Curry [by some miracle managed to beat Matt in speaks at the Central tourney to get 1st speaker (otherwise she'd be 3rd), 4th at breakout]

3. Sarah Parker [1st speaker at Parkview, 2nd at breakout]

4. Joe Keiklack [i think 3rd speaker at PV? 2nd speaker at B-ville[/b]]

5. Muhammad Abu-Rammalieh [1st at Russelville, 6th at Breakout]

6. Greg Bartlett [1st at B-ville]

7. Andrew Johnson [1st at Breakout]

8. Greg Warren [2nd at Russellville]

9. Pouya Parsian [4th at B-ville]

10. Jay Withers [5th at B-ville]

This is purely off memory and opinion, if it was more personal preference the list would be slightly different.

Just looking back over the past posts. I'm impressed how accurate you were back then Mike, out of this list you have half a dozen of the best debaters in Arkansas this year that have stepped up from novice, and last years novice 1st speaker/winner at AR State. Nice calls.

Just looking back over the past posts. I'm impressed how accurate you were back then Mike, out of this list you have half a dozen of the best debaters in Arkansas this year that have stepped up from novice, and last years novice 1st speaker/winner at AR State. Nice calls.

Not really that hard to predict those sorta things when you only have a field of about ten to choose from.

Congratulations to Little Anda and his partner at Harvard and Sarah (?) and partner for clearing as well, lets shoot to get two teams qualified for the TOC next year. (Note: I meant to do this earlier but forgot after I found out until my father told me that their was an article in paper a couple of days ago.) Go tigers.

Also congrats to Foley for getting a first round bid to the NDT--not a bad time to be a fan of Little Rock Central High

It's probably past time I got one of these things and got involved in this discussion foolishness.

Thanks Logan. TOC's the goal, and I think Ian/Daniel are going to be contenders in getting qual'd as well. I know we're sending people to a variety of top-notch camps, and we're gonna make Holladay's last year a big one.