BlocksfromBlock

Arkansas Debaters!!!

So I was talking to my coach today. Some how we stumbled upon the possibility of me not dressing up at all, and just wearing my normal, everyday clothing. Before I actually did this, I was wondering if there was an actual State/tournament rule that actually enforced some sort of a dress code.

Let me know if you actually know anything, or you feel like putting your imput in. Thanks :)

To Jacob:

Input. I will blame the sleeping medicine I took last night.

To Dylan:

Here's the schedule:

R. David Ray Monticello Classic, February 13-14, 2010, Contact Debbie Ashcraft/Scott Kuttenkuler

Sebastion County Classic, February 26-27, 2010, Contact Tim Peerbolte/Conley Hall

Fayetteville "March Madness" Debate/Forensics Tournament, March 12-13, 2010, Contact Tim Hollis

Tournament of Champions, Rogers Heritage High School, April 16-17, 2010, Contact Scott Kuttenkuler

Taken from;

http://www.uamont.edu/organizations/asca/schedule/schedule.html

So I was talking to my coach today. Some how we stumbled upon the possibility of me not dressing up at all, and just wearing my normal, everyday clothing. Before I actually did this, I was wondering if there was an actual State/tournament rule that actually enforced some sort of a dress code.

Let me know if you actually know anything, or you feel like putting your imput in. Thanks :)

They'll tank your speaker points. Might as well dress up.

I wore a t-shirt and plaid tennis shoes to cabot semis.

Lost.

I wore a button down shirt and jeans to rogers semis.

Lost.

And I can assure you they weren't lost for valid reasons, so infer what you may.

I wore a t-shirt and plaid tennis shoes to cabot semis.

Lost.

I wore a button down shirt and jeans to rogers semis.

Lost.

And I can assure you they weren't lost for valid reasons, so infer what you may.

From what I noticed/heard from the judges at Cabot, lack of on-case arguments... But I see your point.

I just don't see why dressing up is (practically) required. Is it one of those "I had to dress up back when I debated, so you must also!" things?

John did that at Parkview and he got 2nd place. I say you upset the established order and dress as you please.

From what I noticed/heard from the judges at Cabot, lack of on-case arguments... But I see your point.

Lack of on-case is by no means a reason to be voted down.

And the judges must be lying, considering we went for a conceded solvency deficit and disad in the 2NR...

To Mike:

I really don't want to pay to have to pay for my clothes to cleaned (dry clean only >_< ). So I am really considering it. Plus, John is John... I can't compete with that lol.

To Ian:

I agree 100%. You might ask Britain about Peerbolt's (spelling?) decision. But for some reason, I have found that (in Arkansas) you have a better chance of winning if you run oncase... I still don't carry much around with me though.

I agree 100%. You might ask Britain about Peerbolt's (spelling?) decision. But for some reason, I have found that (in Arkansas) you have a better chance of winning if you run oncase... I still don't carry much around with me though.

Actually, there was some on case... All three judges conveniently "missed" it... o.O

Actually, there was some on case... All three judges conveniently "missed" it... o.O

Yeah all three judges 'missed it' on their flow even though it was talked about for the rest of the debate.

Yeah all three judges 'missed it' on their flow even though it was talked about for the rest of the debate.

I'm not sure if that was directed attacking what I said. :o. I put the "missed" in quotations because I think they just refused to flow it.

I know there was on case, I just find it very telling that all of them refused to acknowledge it. I don't see how they could miss a full 2NR legitimately, there was definitely some shenanigans going on in their heads. I tried talking to Peerbolte about it, but he's completely clueless, and what makes it worse is he thinks he isn't.

I'm not sure if that was directed attacking what I said. :o. I put the "missed" in quotations because I think they just refused to flow it.

I know there was on case, I just find it very telling that all of them refused to acknowledge it. I don't see how they could miss a full 2NR legitimately, there was definitely some shenanigans going on in their heads. I tried talking to Peerbolte about it, but he's completely clueless, and what makes it worse is he thinks he isn't.

No I was agreeing with what you said, and agree with your last statement. Yeah that's the general problem I have seen with some judges.

It's good to see some things never change.... Derek go for the the comfotable look, i mean what you got to lose. Who you partnered up with now?

My partner is Me, Myself, and I. Neither of the novii are prepared for champ... they can't even handle the novice circuit. It might be possible if we keep it simple... or I could go by myself and run arguments I want to run.

I think I decided on jeans and a button down shirt. Most judges won't like me since I will be going mav anyways.

John did that at Parkview and he got 2nd place. I say you upset the established order and dress as you please.

Dress however you want. The quality of your arguments has nothing to do with your appearance.

Any judge that will adjudicate your round or performance in policy debate on the basis of your appearance has more than a little fascist in them. Note: There is very little sarcasm in that last sentence.

The Arkansas debate "dress code" is a relic of the "pretty talking" regime that has kept its foot on the throat of debate in this state for decades. It won't really die (at least on a superficial level) until the dinosaurs retire and are replaced by people who know what they're doing, but that's no reason to keep them in the dark until they get a clue.

I cast my vote for dress however you a want. You (and this goes for everybody) are, after all, a living work of art.

Hey, I'm new here. I'm probably the only FHS debater that has one of these.

Anyway, What schools are going? Fayetteville is but with limited Novice. It's the week of the Science Fair and many can't go. I will be going (Doubt any of you know me though haha)

Oh and Dawkins, I'm trying to push the rest of Fayetteville into signing the petition. I think it will help tremendously. Though I am much less opposed to change from our habit of "Old School Debate" haha

Can someone post breaks from Monticello when you get a chance? Thanks in advance!

To Taylor;

This was taken from the facebook forum and posted by Joe Kieklak;

"Only 5 debate schools going.

FHS

Hall

Southside

LRC

Russellevile.

12 VCX, 18 NCX."

@Taylor: Thanks, but don't push them. Besides, I don't think anyone is going to like the new version. It is kinda extreme compared to the last one.