BlocksfromBlock

Arkansas Debaters!!!

:P

Jordan, the advanced classes meet on B days, Don and I are in B3.

Actually, at the time I was doing it, I couldn't have been doing anything:P

Hey, Jordan, you have any opinion on SMU debate haha?

SMU didn't have a program when I was debating in college, so I really don't. Sorry.

If you tell me some of the coaches names, I might have an opinion on them.

Sorry, man. I've heard of him, but I really can't tell you much about him. He never judged me or anything.

A good way to tell whether he's a good coach is to look at the track record of the schools he coached before SMU. Do you know where he coached before he came to SMU?

Are there any graduate assistants or is he the only coach?

Two coaches, Ben Voth and and Chris Salinas. Coached at Baylor with Bill English and a few other places. NDT and CEDA aspirations in a few years. They were hired by SMU last year to get teams there as well since SMU's team was disbanded a few years back, so it sounds like they want to do something.

...or you don't. It's up to you.

If you have met with these gentlemen and found them knowledgeable and/or impressive and/or worth your time, I say you give them a chance.

This year's college topic is the bomb diggity. I wish I was still debating so I could get in on some of the nuclear action.

I think you know what you'd be getting yourself into. Keep in mind, however, that a lot of highly successful college debaters had limited high school debate coaching/experience and got to be good by working real hard.

when is bentonville/who do i need to contact to judge there?

Oct. 2-3

You can contact Julia Woods by e-mail at jwoods[at]bentonville.k12.ar.us

I'm not really sure about school affiliation or anything, though. You may need to talk to Holladay. I'm sure Woods will let you know.

when is bentonville/who do i need to contact to judge there?
im in charge of all the debate at the tournament so i can get you in to judge if you want to. just send your information to Julia Woods at jwoods@bentonville.k12.ar.us and ill get you on the slate to judge. You will probably have to judge novice but i will try to get you on the champ list if Woods lets me.

You will probably have to judge novice but i will try to get you on the champ list if Woods lets me.

Make John judge the novices and let him give oral RFDs after the round for as long as he wants. He can educate some of these young'uns.

The rule for Arkansas is that you have to be two years out to judge champ. All of last years seniors have to judge novice this year.

Make John judge the novices and let him give oral RFDs after the round for as long as he wants. He can educate some of these young'uns.

Yes.

The rule for Arkansas is that you have to be two years out to judge champ. All of last years seniors have to judge novice this year.

I was joking.

Well, not really.

So I won't be at Bentonville, this season is gonna be intense therefore i am not sure how many tournaments i am gonna get to judge. By SMU do you mean Saint Mary's University? If so I do believe they tried IPDA last year.

So I won't be at Bentonville, this season is gonna be intense therefore i am not sure how many tournaments i am gonna get to judge. By SMU do you mean Saint Mary's University? If so I do believe they tried IPDA last year.

I believe he means southern methodist university.

I think it's fairly obvious John is plenty qualified to judge champ.

I agree with your sentiment 110%, but it's not a question of qualifications.

Certain paranoid dinosaur debate coaches are afraid that first year judges will use their newfound positions of authority to punish former competitors which they dislike or reward their friends. Essentially, they don't believe 19 year olds can be objective enough to judge a debate...

Ironically, in reality, you get more bullshit decisions based on social/political crap from these very same dinosaurs than you do from any other subset of the judging pool...

Well while I appreciate the comments and think that I won't get spread out or lost in an arkansas varsity round.. I also think that we can't take all blame onto these other people, because after all i missed my judging commitment last night because there wasnt a place to park and this morning because my phone was on silent. So while I am qualified I wasnt with the school and therefore woken up like I was used to. :\ the one round I did judge was fun tho.. and by fun, well you get it

I agree that the mindset is bull, but we have to live with it.

@Chris - I mean Southern Methodist

@Everyone on the judging scene - I judged a Texas high school tournament this weekend at the open/varsity and novice level and I certainly agree with your viewpoints. They had guys my age judging almost everything and the level there was Texas novice >>>>>>>>>>>>>> AR champ and Texas Champ are in a different world. (Great rounds and I got to judge an amazing novice finals.) I had no problem judging it and in elim's was never on the minority vote. So I really don't think that there is any problem with first year out judges.

I think the reason that they are kept out is for the following reason.

If I really hated someone on the circuit and then came back and judged this year and judged him, I might vote him down for personal reasons. I think that this is the reason that we aren't allowed to judge the champs this year.

The level of debate is AR needs to be changed though. The rounds I judged, while the cases were bull (broadband internet and mailboxes leading to extinction), were entertaining and competitive. They debate the way that policy debate is meant to happen. I wish that the St. Marks kids would not go from high pitched to whispers and it annoyed me that Colleyville kids tried to pull douchebag moves like dropping their evidence on the floor so the other team would have to waste time picking it up, but, hey, these kids knew what they were talking about. They had great rounds and I got paid = win.

All in all, I'm just saying that AR has a reason for what they do and I do think that it's legit, but I wish we could fix the way that debate is run. I also wish that we had more than 8 teams at certian tournaments. There were 40+ teams in each division here. It was great. I also wish we could do more prelim rounds in AR and more elim rounds. We need to fix the way that AR debate is judged and run. It can, I repeat can, happen if all of us that agree to change debate, make our paradigms for those teams that run framework, K's and multiple CP's, as well as entire rounds based on theory. If we judge that way, then we can change the way AR debate is run.

Pretty sure mike and i can beat texas novice. We're trying to change AR debate, but can only do so much single-handedly. I can't say any names, but some judges are close-minded and are not adapting to the flow of policy. Either way we plan to do what we do, regardless of where we are, this includes diclosure.

Pretty sure mike and i can beat texas novice. We're trying to change AR debate, but can only do so much single-handedly. I can't say any names, but some judges are close-minded and are not adapting to the flow of policy. Either way we plan to do what we do, regardless of where we are, this includes diclosure.

Oh you would have no trouble with them. But besides yourselves and a few other central teams, myself and Lance, and Seubert, everyone else on the AR champ circuit would get thrown underneath the tires.

I do think AR needs to get into plan text disclosure. It shouldn't be something that you have to hide behind. You should be able to defend your case even if they have had a head start on prep.

Edited by wcdd7