BlocksfromBlock

Arkansas Debaters!!!

As for those who believe that the only in state camp is run by incompetent debaters, here is who is leading our groups. Varsity John Block and me, while Dancer and Holladay are working with the novice. You would be hard pressed to find a Youtube video that is able to CRITIC YOU as well as some of these people. As for a stay-at-home-camp i believe that is a great idea and thought that was what was considered standard prep for the debate season, but i digress. With students from Louisiana and other states coming up here and record breaking numbers as well as a continually bettering staff i feel confident that this camp has the capacity to teach everyone a little something. And just one final thought, If people are going to gripe about how poor Arkansas debate is, how about we support the efforts of the one true camp in Arkansas. It's way easier to criticize than to fix the problem yourself.

As for those who believe that the only in state camp is run by incompetent debaters, here is who is leading our groups. Varsity John Block and me, while Dancer and Holladay are working with the novice.

I've never called any of those people incompetent. Obviously, I have the utmost respect for Holladay and I think John Block is one of the best debaters to come out of Arkansas in a long time. Don Dancer has been teaching debate in Arkansas for a long time and has enjoyed a lot of success as a coach and judge. I don't know you that well, but I admire your passion for the activity in our state.

Any comment I made regarding the quality of Monticello's debate camp was in the context of the futility of having parliamentary/public forum people teaching policy debate. Policy debate camps should probably be staffed by people with policy debate experience. I think we can all agree on that...and since it appears that Monticello got some good people on board for this camp, I hereby rescind any comments I made regarding the staff of that debate camp.

I do, however, stand by my comments regarding the length of the camp. I think it will be very hard to cram a quality debate camp into one week. It is pretty hard to write enough files to have a tournament in one week. If y'all pull it off, it will be a testament to the dedication of the camp staff and participants.

You would be hard pressed to find a Youtube video that is able to CRITIC YOU as well as some of these people. As for a stay-at-home-camp i believe that is a great idea and thought that was what was considered standard prep for the debate season, but i digress.

I'm glad we agree that the stay at home debate camp is a great idea for those Arkansas debaters that can't afford to attend any camp, including the Monticello camp, or for those that want to supplement whatever camp they chose to attend.

Obviously, one can't obtain feedback from experienced coaches and competitors, among other things, if he or she exercises this alternative. Still, something is better than nothing, right?

Judging by my experiences judging and watching rounds at tournaments this past season, there aren't too many debaters in the state that utilize all these web resources that have recently been compiled. I hope that changes, don't you?

By the way, here's another excellent web resource. On the Planet Debate website, you can download a ton of topic specific files from other debate camps for FREE. Also, the NDCA will start uploading more free evidence on their Open Evidence site soon. For students working at home that want a guide to their research on specific arguments, or for those students that are too lazy to do work but want free camp evidence, this is a pretty useful resource.

With students from Louisiana and other states coming up here and record breaking numbers as well as a continually bettering staff i feel confident that this camp has the capacity to teach everyone a little something.

I'm sure you will accomplish your goal of teaching everyone "a little something," and I wish you nothing but the best of luck.

And just one final thought, If people are going to gripe about how poor Arkansas debate is, how about we support the efforts of the one true camp in Arkansas. It's way easier to criticize than to fix the problem yourself.

I'm behind this camp 100%. Like I said before, they went out and got some good people on board. However, I wish the camp was longer, because a quality camp needs at least a week to produce arguments and then another week to debate them out. A student at a debate camp should leave with at least twice as many practice debates as they would have real debates at a tournament, and I don't see any way to accomplish that at a one week camp.

I might have argued a week long camp is too short yesterday but tonight i heartily agree that a week might not be long enough to lecture and form files. I am not even gonna lie, this is a lot of work. I wasn't offended by the posts previously stated, just a little frustrated with the situation. Any other possible recommendations out there? We are a growing camp and it is plain to see that as we progress from year to year this camp is steadily increasing in quality, but why? Not because we have all the answers, but instead because of the ideas others bring us and from lessons learned. If there are any questions or comments out there about ASDI let me know.

Jordan, as for putting out enough evidence for a camp debate tournament, where there's a will there's a way. Im currently working more on our LSC aff with a 24 pack of mt dew by my side and dont plan on sleeping. I think it'll be a decent camp tournament, but I definitely think that in the future even if the drama part of the camp is shortened that debate should definitely be 2 weeks. However, I thought about maybe getting everyone who's going in as champ's email adress so we can go ahead and start researching assuming they're dedicated so that more of the camp can be practice rounds/lectures/mini-debates. Mad love for all my arkansas debaters & mad love for UAM, im having a blast

Any other possible recommendations out there?

Yes. Offer Congress as an event at your tournament / camp next year. It's really starting to pick up in Arkansas (thanks for catching jumping aboard the Congress-at-tournament train Southside and Heritage) and hopefully I can convince some people to make it a state TOC event next year. I'd be glad to teach it, wink wink.

Jordan, as for putting out enough evidence for a camp debate tournament, where there's a will there's a way. Im currently working more on our LSC aff with a 24 pack of mt dew by my side and dont plan on sleeping. I think it'll be a decent camp tournament, but I definitely think that in the future even if the drama part of the camp is shortened that debate should definitely be 2 weeks. However, I thought about maybe getting everyone who's going in as champ's email adress so we can go ahead and start researching assuming they're dedicated so that more of the camp can be practice rounds/lectures/mini-debates. Mad love for all my arkansas debaters & mad love for UAM, im having a blast

Quoted for truth. I think for a one week it was EXTREMELY successful. Amazing job and effort on those files John, I am very happy with the results and I will for sure be returning next year.

You would be hard pressed to find a Youtube video that is able to CRITIC YOU as well as some of these people. .

Critique. Sorry, I'm on a language spree.

On the OT, I'm kinda annoyed that Matt and I were turned down so quickly for teaching at this camp. I guess the philosophy of many hands make light work does not extend very far.

On a lighter note... is there going to be a demo day/debate this year? If so, when?

Events

Demonstration Day, September , 2009, UCA Reynolds Auditorium, Contact: Billi Barone

National Debate Clinic - Sept 16, 2009, North Little Rock HS - West Campus, Contact: Kim Stanley

National Debate Clinic - Sept 17, 2009, Fayetteville High School, Contact: Tim Hollis

ASCA Student Congress, November 1-3, 2009, Little Rock, Contact: Kathy Holladay/Scott Kuttenkuler

Arkansas Shakespeare Festival, January 29-30, 2010, HSU, Contact: Prentice Dupin

Speaking Competitions

Fayetteville "Breakout" Novice Debate Tournament, September 25-26, 2009, Contact Tim Hollis

Bentonville "Early Bird" Tournament, October 2-3, 2009, Contact Julia Woods

Little Rock Central Forensics Tournament, October 23-24, 2009, Contact Kathy Holladay

Rogers Heritage High Forensics Tournament, November 12-13, 2009, Contact Don Dancer

Russellville Cyclone Forensics Tournament, November 20-21, 2009, Contact Janetta Carney

North Little Rock West Campus Charging Wildcat Classic, December 4-5, 2009, Contact Pris Benson

Fayetteville "Winter Wonderland" Forensics Festival, December 18-19, 2009, Contact Tim Hollis

Little Rock Parkview Patriot Debate Tournament, January 15-16, 2010, Sponsor: Pat Treadway

Cabot Classic Tournament, January 22-23, 2010, Contact Jane Balgavy

R. David Ray Monticello Classic, February 13-14, 2010, Contact Debbie Ashcraft/Scott Kuttenkuler

Sebastion County Classic, February 26-27, 2010, Contact Tim Peerbolte/Conley Hall

Fayetteville "March Madness" Debate/Forensics Tournament, March 12-13, 2010, Contact Tim Hollis

Tournament of Champions, Rogers Heritage High School, April 16-17, 2010, Contact Scott Kuttenkuler

Updated: May 28, 2009

Source: http://www.uamont.edu/organizations/asca/schedule/schedule.html

Events

Tournament of Champions, Rogers Heritage High School, April 16-17, 2010, Contact Scott Kuttenkuler

Like last year's state TOC, I won't be able to go to this year's because of science fair. Can we consider moving the date forward??? AHEM

Edited by The Ma

I don't think any of us have all that much pull on the schedule.

That's why I bolded Scott's name. And I hope you Rogers Heritage kids can have enough impact on Dancer to make him change the time??? PLEASE??? =]

Its my senior year and as I am looking at different colleges I am considering college debate. However, debate is not that well advertised so I was wondering if there were any colleges that participated in CEDA/ CX-debate in the Tri-state area.

Any help would be appreciated :)

the Tri-state area

What three states are you talking about?

There are a ton of colleges with policy debate squads in states that surround Arkansas.

I meant tri-state area as in AR, OK and MO. Sorry should have clarified.

By no means will i narrow myself down to just these three states if I am excepted at some other college that fits my needs better. I would just like to stay relatively close to friends and family and other reasons.

Edited by FireOfTheMists

As far as Arkansas goes, you've got very limited choices, if you want to do policy debate. I don't think any college in Arkansas does policy debate anymore.

In Oklahoma, the University of Oklahoma in Norman has recently established itself as a powerhouse policy debate program, having produced a couple of CEDA finalists and a CEDA champion in the last few years. OU has a very critical bent and their head coach, Jackie Massie, wants to advance that style of debate.

You could also attend the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond. They have a policy debate team, but I think their leadership has changed since I was around, so I'm not sure who's involved with that program these days.

In Missouri, you've got Missouri State in Springfield. The head coach there, Eric Morris, was one of my coaches at Kansas for a few years. Ermo has done a great job building a real competitive program. He has a great eye for talent and all the tools a coach needs to develop it.

The University of Missouri-Kansas City also has a policy debate program, but I heard something recently about them potentially folding up their tent. I'm not 100% on that, but it's a shame if it's true.

Other schools near Arkansas with real solid policy debate programs include the University of Kansas (my alma mater), the University of North Texas, the University of Texas-Dallas and the University of Texas.

Kansas won this year's NDT in a long overdue victory for Scott Harris, who is widely recognized as one of the best debate coaches in the nation. My debate experience at KU was outstanding. They have a large staff of experienced and successful GTAs (so you will get hands-on coaching if you prove yourself deserving of it through hard work) and Harris does an incredible job of staying on the cutting edge of argumentation. Lawrence, KS is an awesome town, too. I promise you will have a great time if you end up going to college there.

The University of North Texas in Denton has great coaches like Brian Lain, Louie Petit, and Calum Matheson. All three have proven their worth through the years and they always have successful teams.

UT-Dallas boasts fine debate minds like Scott Herndon and Todd Jordan. They have a team that got invited to the Kentucky Round Robin for the upcoming season and this year promises to be their most successful season thus far.

Joel Rollins has put a ton of great debaters out of the University of Texas in Austin. His record speaks for itself and includes too many successful teams to start naming them.

If I'm leaving any schools out of this post, it's not intentional and I apologize.

I meant tri-state area as in AR, OK and MO. Sorry should have clarified.

By no means will i narrow myself down to just these three states if I am excepted at some other college that fits my needs better. I would just like to stay relatively close to friends and family and other reasons.

• Downvote 1

if you want are interested at all in Missouri State pm me - i debate there and if you have any questions i'd be happy to answer them

As far as Arkansas goes, you've got very limited choices, if you want to do policy debate. I don't think any college in Arkansas does policy debate anymore.

In Oklahoma, the University of Oklahoma in Norman has recently established itself as a powerhouse policy debate program, having produced a couple of CEDA finalists and a CEDA champion in the last few years. OU has a very critical bent and their head coach, Jackie Massie, wants to advance that style of debate.

You could also attend the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond. They have a policy debate team, but I think their leadership has changed since I was around, so I'm not sure who's involved with that program these days.

In Missouri, you've got Missouri State in Springfield. The head coach there, Eric Morris, was one of my coaches at Kansas for a few years. Ermo has done a great job building a real competitive program. He has a great eye for talent and all the tools a coach needs to develop it.

The University of Missouri-Kansas City also has a policy debate program, but I heard something recently about them potentially folding up their tent. I'm not 100% on that, but it's a shame if it's true.

Other schools near Arkansas with real solid policy debate programs include the University of Kansas (my alma mater), the University of North Texas, the University of Texas-Dallas and the University of Texas.

Kansas won this year's NDT in a long overdue victory for Scott Harris, who is widely recognized as one of the best debate coaches in the nation. My debate experience at KU was outstanding. They have a large staff of experienced and successful GTAs (so you will get hands-on coaching if you prove yourself deserving of it through hard work) and Harris does an incredible job of staying on the cutting edge of argumentation. Lawrence, KS is an awesome town, too. I promise you will have a great time if you end up going to college there.

The University of North Texas in Denton has great coaches like Brian Lain, Louie Petit, and Calum Matheson. All three have proven their worth through the years and they always have successful teams.

UT-Dallas boasts fine debate minds like Scott Herndon and Todd Jordan. They have a team that got invited to the Kentucky Round Robin for the upcoming season and this year promises to be their most successful season thus far.

Joel Rollins has put a ton of great debaters out of the University of Texas in Austin. His record speaks for itself and includes too many successful teams to start naming them.

If I'm leaving any schools out of this post, it's not intentional and I apologize.

Sorry about the delayed response. There was a death in the family and I have not had time.

This post has been extraordinarily helpful. I knew there was not a major policy debate team in AR, but I had no idea that it was this dramatic...

Sorry about the delayed response. There was a death in the family and I have not had time.

This post has been extraordinarily helpful. I knew there was not a major policy debate team in AR, but I had no idea that it was this dramatic...

I'm saddened to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

I'm glad to help. Any time.

There has not been a collegiate policy debate team in Arkansas since Arkansas State folded up its tent in the early 21st century. This is a terrible lack for high school policy debate in Arkansas, for a lot of reasons, not the least of which has to do with the quality of the judging pool...

I'm saddened to hear of your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

I'm glad to help. Any time.

There has not been a collegiate policy debate team in Arkansas since Arkansas State folded up its tent in the early 21st century. This is a terrible lack for high school policy debate in Arkansas, for a lot of reasons, not the least of which has to do with the quality of the judging pool...

Early 21st century?... No wonder Arkansas is stuck in the "old style" debate.

Early 21st century?... No wonder Arkansas is stuck in the "old style" debate.

Lol Derek, you do know that if we ever get paired. We have to have a 1-off 1NC right?

Viva La Revolucion!

Edited by Bkennedy

Lol Derek, you do know that if we ever get paired. We have to have a 1-off 1NC right?

Viva La Revolucion!

A 1-Off 1NC? UNHEARD OF!! ;)