BlocksfromBlock

Arkansas Debaters!!!

Whenever schools decide when they will be holding thier tournaments could a representative post the dates on here? I will have full eligibility next year to judge both novice and champ and will attempt to come to as many tournaments as i can.

Last year Coach Hall had a list of tourny dates at ASDI. However I can't make any promises this year.

On a side note: Who will be teaching at ASDI this year?

Matt and I tried to teach, but Mr. Kootenkuler (think I butchered that) turned us down. He's using his own kids, but they haven't done policy for several years and I believe that Chris was the last one out of there for them.

Matt and I tried to teach, but Mr. Kootenkuler (think I butchered that) turned us down.

Weaksauce

Matt and I tried to teach, but Mr. Kootenkuler (think I butchered that) turned us down. He's using his own kids, but they haven't done policy for several years and I believe that Chris was the last one out of there for them.

This is absurd. How can they teach policy debate if they don't know how to do it themselves? Also, how do they expect to teach these kids about debate in five days? Are they going to hold a camp tournament? That will take three days in and of itself...

It's a damn shame that none of the state universities in Arkansas participate in real debate anymore. An institute run by competent folks would go a long way toward fixing some of the problems with debate in Arkansas.

One question: Did you offer to teach for free, or were you hoping to be compensated?

Hello, I haven't been on this site in a while and decided I would check in. I know a lot of the central novices will be attending ASDI as will Holladay. I know that there will be quality lab leaders at ASDI

I talked to Don Dancer where I work the other day and he said the Holiday (spelling?), himself, and one other coach will be there. (Coach from Parkview?)

On top of that Kutenkuller's (spelling?) kids will be there. However, they do IPDA so I'm not sure how qualified they are. Chris Brown is the only student i know of, and he's the only one I have confidence in, since he's the only of Kutenkuller's kids who has debated policy style that I know of. And even then Chris has been out of the loop for over a year...

I offered to teach Congress this year at ASDI but they told of first that UAM kids were going to do it, then that they weren't having it at all. Why don't the graduating seniors get together and host their own camp? I know this kid in Florida who's hosting one like that.

Why don't the graduating seniors get together and host their own camp? I know this kid in Florida who's hosting one like that.

This is a good idea... Sounds fun, but i doubt it would get anywhere. Think about the mess of getting people halfway across the state at least for a student ran camp. I guess a school might be willing to open the doors to us, but becides that I can't think of anywhere it could be held

Edited by FireOfTheMists

Another problem would be to have parents trust kids who are about to leave the town or even the state for college with being responsible for their kids. And the whole insurance thing. And the whole set of logistical problems (room & board, even if schools let us use their classrooms that doesnt give these kids a bed). And it's definitely pretty late for all that cuz most people who are going to camp have already signed up or are already there. But maybe next year cuz I'm probably not going to be doing anything too important. But good thought, I hope everyone is having an awesome summer cuz i know i am!

Well, I was thinking just that, and that's why I can't go to debate camp in Florida, even though it's hosted by the guy who won Student Congress TOC :P

Solution is to have a high school or college sponsor it for liability, and have room and board be at a college. Example: Boys State is not associated with UCA, but they use the UCA campus for facilities and dorms. Maybe the same for Governors School and Hendrix too. Would UCA or Hendrix be good potential locations?

Anyone care to compile a list of the best potential champs / teams on the circuit next year? I might be making a comeback ;)

My list (no particular order):

Lindsey / Sarah (Central)

Anda / Don O (Central)

Graham / Kremin (dunno if they will be partners Bentonville)

Marchbanks (if he hasn't graduated yet) / Stothers (Sheridan)

Ian / Daniel (Central)

Kieklak / partner (Fayetteville)

(team that won state in novice last year from Southside)

Ma / Harpool / O'Hara / Brizzolara / whatever other crazy combination of can think of (Central)

Anyone case to disclose already? Haha

Anda/Don O

Blake/Jeremiah

Shoesmith graduated, so it's just mini-left over from that team, Ma.

Everyone else, GTFO.

:D

Free for the teaching, Jordan. We just wanted to chill and write stuff for a week. It sounded pretty good. As for teams next year, my brother is trying to find a decent partner. He got completley overshadowed by Jordan at State, but he held up his end.

Maybe, probably not my freshman year because I'm not going to college to debate, I'm going to college for an education. College debate as anyone who has done it will tell you takes a lot of your time and I really don't want to spend all my free time doing working on that.

Not too long ago, I argued on this thread that one of the best ways to improve one's debating is to do original topic research on the affirmative and negative. I lamented the pervasive use of handbook evidence which plagued most of the rounds I've judged since moving back to the state. And I also argued that widespread Internet access should make it possible for most debaters in Arkansas to cut quality files on their own.

Some other "good debate" advocates have recently pioneered a new means through which Arkansas debaters can use the Internet to improve their debate skills. Stefan Bauschard recently compiled a list of website links to various topic-specific/generic theory lectures featuring some of the best debate minds in the nation, and posted that list to e-debate. There are now over 80 lectures from qualified debaters and coaches that can be found on the Internet for FREE. Here is the link to Stefan's post:

http://www.ndtceda.com/pipermail/edebate/2009-July/079140.html

Many people on this thread have suggested that they lack the financial means to attend a debate camp and learn how to debate well. Other people, including myself, have made disparaging remarks about the in-state debate camp that might be the only one some of you can afford.

Well, thanks to Stefan and all these other people who have graciously agreed to impart their valuable knowledge for FREE, any Arkansas debater with a desire to improve and an accompanying work ethic can basically simulate a pretty rigorous debate camp (minus the real practice rounds, of course) from the comfort of her living room.

Seriously, you could follow this schedule:

1) Watch a lecture or two online after you wake up in the morning. Heck, you could even watch while you're eating breakfast.

2) Cut cards/write blocks for several hours.

3) Watch one of the numerous full debates (college or high school) which are now featured for FREE on Google Video or YouTube, so you can make sure your flowing skills are up to speed and you can see how the things you should learn in your morning lectures are put into practice.

4) Cut cards/write blocks for several hours.

5) Do some practice speeches/speed drills.

If you keep this schedule, you are basically doing all of the things you would be doing at debate camp. Minus the practice debates and hands-on expertise. But hey, something is better than nothing, right?

Ma recently suggested that students should organize and run a debate camp. While I applaud Ma's ambition, I agree with many others on the thread that have identified some factors that make this suggestion less than practical. The suggestion I've just offered, however, provides a way to avoid the pitfalls surrounding Ma's idea while accruing almost all the benefits of an actual debate camp. Man, I love the Internet!

• Downvote 1

first i will say that i agree wholeheartedly with everything Tinsley just said

I will also add that if anyone would like to get access to full college rounds to watch (one of the best ways to get better imo) you can do a number of things

1. debatevideos.blogspot.com - has a bunch of full rounds of some very good college teams

2. pm or email me - our squad has a youtube account we put videos on and if you want to see some we can make that happen