Gary Busey

Utah Debaters Rock II

Congratulations to the Shackelfords (sp?), debaters and coach, for their victory at the Young Lawyers' Tournament.

Also, congratulations to the Utah schools (I believe RHSM with 3 teams and West with 1) who cleared at USC.

• Upvote 1

cam, where are you going to school?

i stuck around at the U for the chemistry program, so i'm somewhat available for research/help/judging. in all honesty, there are people still debating who are better than i am/was, but i might be useful in the capacity of a practice opponent. ultimately, my loyalties will lie with EHS, but i can possibly help out other folks who are close by.

email: toomsedwards at hotmail dot com

Top 10 debaters in Utah?

1. Taylor Layton

2. (Tie) Mario Feola

2. (Tie) Andrew Arsht

4. Melissa Leeworthy

5. Raj Patel

6. Clara Purk

7. Jordan Friedman

8. David Shackelford

9. Mike Marquardt

10. Ankita Gupta

• Downvote 3

I just wanted to congratulate Clara and Taylor of West for qualing to the TOC (or so is my understanding). I had the pleasure of working with them this summer and really enjoyed the experience. If Utah keeps the pace there should be some more TOC quals in the future.

hell yeah i can think of quite a few. Thanks glue, i really appreciate the congrats, and the help that you referenced.

Raj, you are dumb...

Congrats to Mario and Andrew and Jo and Melissa who both qualled this weekend at Stanford. Special congrats goes to Jo and Melissa who won Stanford. Utah represent!!

Who all is going to Berkeley?

Way to represent Utah ya'll

We had quite a few teams that went 4-3, and 3 that went 5-2, unfortunately they all lost in triple octos, but it was a good showing nonetheless.

Also special Congratulations to Taylor Layton who got 12th speaker at Berkeley. Definitely a huge accomplishment.

lol. thanks for being a good community guys

and props to RHSM who qualled two teams to NFLS this past yesterday and are uber ballers - look forward to rooming with you guys at the TOC.

utah love

I don't mean to be snoopy, but i'm from nebraska, and was wondering what type of circuit is UTAH (Kritical, Policy-Maker)

thank you,

• Downvote 1

Its uber kritikal, especially the Shacks, who you probably saw mentioned, they always run crazy shiz like a lot of norm debates, Nietzsche, a lot of metaphysical stuff, anything that hurts your brain the twins love to run. Although that Taylor Layton always helps contribute a good dose of politics da's to keep us a little more straight up.

and answer to Clara's post, probably gonzaga

• Downvote 1

Its uber kritikal, especially the Shacks, who you probably saw mentioned, they always run crazy shiz like a lot of norm debates, Nietzsche, a lot of metaphysical stuff, anything that hurts your brain the twins love to run. Although that Taylor Layton always helps contribute a good dose of politics da's to keep us a little more straight up.

lol

no

Who is going where this summer?

I am going to GDI 4-week. Probably none of you know them, but Corinne and Joaquin (2 of our 8th graders) are going to SDI 3-week.

Edited by poor.yorick

The Second Annual

Leland Monson Debate Institute

The Weber State University Debate Team, in conjunction with Alta High School, is proud to host the 2nd annual Leland Monson Debate Institute & Tournament! We have assembled a quality faculty of highly-experienced debate educators who are dedicated to providing a low cost, educational experience for high school Lincoln Douglas and policy debaters.

Dates: August 3 - August 8, 2009.

Place: Instruction will take place August 3-7 at Alta High School in Sandy, UT.

The end of camp tournament will be held August 8th at Weber State University in Ogden, Utah.

Times: Registration will be held from 8:00 am until 8:45 am on Monday, August 3.

Workshops will run from 9:00 am until 6:00 pm August 3 – 7.

End of camp tournament be from 8:00 am until 6:00 pm on Saturday, August 8.

Enrollment: We will accept the first 100 applicants. We hope that if demand exceeds this limit we will be able to expand in the future.

Cost: Tuition is ONLY $55 per student. Registration fees MUST be paid with a check or money order made out to Weber State Debate. We cannot accept cash payments.

Deadline: Entries must be received by July 21st.

Students will receive:

• Five days of intensive laboratory work and exciting lectures.

• Lunch for the five days @ Alta; Lunch & Dinner at WSU for the end of camp tournament.

• A four-round camp tournament held Saturday, August 8th on the Weber State campus, the 2009 site of the 3a, 4a and 5a State Forensics Tournaments.

• A substantial evidence set on the 08-09 poverty topic.

• A full daily schedule is available at http://www.weberdebate.com under the LMDIT section.

Staff: Our staff is an excellent group of high school and college debaters and coaches:

• Mike Shackelford (Director of Forensics, Rowland Hall School)

• Carol Shackelford (Director of Forensics, Bingham High School)

• Alli Martin (Director of Forensics, Alta High School)

• Josh Bentley (Director of Forensics, Lone Peak High School)

• Moses Baca (Director of Forensics, Juan Diego High School)

• Stacy Dawson (Weber State University, Class of 2010)

• Omar G. Guevara (Director of Forensics, Weber State University)

• John Foy (Assistant Coach, Weber State University)

• Ian Dalton (Successful Colorado High School debater and incoming freshman at WSU)

• Mason Gates (Assistant Coach, Juan Diego High School)

The camp will also include guest lecture by debate luminaries such as:

• Veronica M. Guevara (Assistant Coach, Weber State University)

• Scott Odekirk (Assistant Coach, Idaho State University)

• Richard Tews (Assistant Director of Forensics, Weber State University)

How to Register: Coaches and students can register NOW for the 2009 Leland Monson Debate Institute and Tournament by emailing the following information to monsonregistration@hotmail.com:

1. Name

2. High School

3. Grade Level

4. Type of Debate (currently we only offer LD and Policy)

5. Years of Experience

6. # of Tournaments Attended Last Year and Win/Loss Record

7. Phone Number

8. Mailing Address

9. Email

10. Emergency Contact Information

a. Parent/Guardian Name(s)

b. Phone number to reach Parents/Guardians in case of emergency

c. Any medical problems we should know about

11. Special dietary restrictions

If you have any problems with registering via the registration email, please email John Foy directly at glueboy1@hotmail.com or call him at 801-814-5583.

If you have any questions about the camp, please feel free to call or email John or to talk to one of our staff members.

We look forward to welcoming all of you back to the LMDIT this year and hope that the experience will be educational and fun!

yo glue, i'll probably still be around and bored and will want to do a little debate before my camp at NW, so i'd be more than willing to help out. We'll see how it goes

list of people and what camp they're going to, as far as me intel goes (correct me if something is wrong).

Mario Feula - NU seniors

Andrew Arsht - NU Seniors

Jordan Friedman - Berkeley Regents

Madi Rodabough - Whitman Scholars, SCFI Scholars

Ellie - GDI 4 week

Max Chaffetz - Whitman Scholars, SCFI scholars

Cade Cottrell - GDI scholars

Like I said, its a limited list, update it if you know more than me (which should be basically everyone).

And I'm assuming your all going to the weber camp :-)