Sign in to follow this  
A.S.U.R.A.

Foucault alternatives

just curious. for all you fucko hacks out there, what was the alternative you found most effective, and why? i've seen a lot of random ones in files etc., and i was curious as to which ones stood out.

i recall something similar to a genealogy alternative from the frontier identity k put out by UNT on the natl service topic, but i don't recall what exactly it is. if i'm correct, isn't a lot of the stuff is from that book by Michael Clifford (Political Genealogy after Foucault)? how did you claim it solves/ what other fancy tricks did you do?

Technically a genealogy should tell "both" sides (or all sides) not just one side. (ie the way that power has been productive). Or at least without a conclusion to do this or that--which would create closure.

At a minimum geneaology seems like it should include an (actual) history or narrative of the issue at hand--not just link cards, biopower, and a trendy alternative.

That said geneology is pretty strategic. Is there an assumption that a genealogy is one which tells the stories of the margins + voices from those at the metaphorical "bottom of the well"?

How permable is it? Is the affirmative an alternative geneaology? What makes the aff less of a geneaology than the neg? What makes the neg a comparatively more relevant genealogy?

For critiques of rhetoric--I think this is a pretty hot alternative thats not run a lot: culture jamming:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1510/is_/ai_15297854

The answer lies, perhaps, in the "semiological guerrilla warfare" imagined by Umberto Eco. "[T]he receiver of the message seems to have a residual freedom: the freedom to read it in a different way... I am proposing an action to urge the audience to control the message and its multiple possibilities of interpretation," he writes. "[O]ne medium can be employed to communicate a series of opinions on another medium... The universe of Technological Communication would then be patrolled by groups of communication guerrillas, who would restore a critical dimension to passive reception." Eco assumes, a priori, the radical politics of visual literacy, an idea eloquently argued by Stuart Ewen, a critic of consumer culture. "We live at a time when the image has become the predominant mode of public address, eclipsing all other forms in the structuring of meaning," asserts Ewen. "Yet little in our education prepares us to make sense of the rhetoric. historical development or social implications of the images within our lives." In a society of heat, light and electronic poltergeists -- an eerie otherworld of "illimitable vastness, brilliant light, and the gloss and smoothness of material things" -- the desperate project of reconstructing meaning, or at least reclaiming that notion from marketing departments and P.R. firms, requires visually-literate ghostbusters. Culture jammers answer to that name. "Jamming" is CB slang for the illegal practice of interrupting radio broadcasts or conversations between fellow hams with lip farts, obscenities, and other equally jejune hijinx. Culture jamming, by contrast, is directed against an ever more intrusive, instrumental technoculture whose operant mode is the manufacture of consent through the manipulation of symbols.

[bolding is my own]

For critiques of rhetoric--I think this is a pretty hot alternative thats not run a lot: culture jamming:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1510/is_/ai_15297854

The answer lies, perhaps, in the "semiological guerrilla warfare" imagined by Umberto Eco. "[T]he receiver of the message seems to have a residual freedom: the freedom to read it in a different way... I am proposing an action to urge the audience to control the message and its multiple possibilities of interpretation," he writes. "[O]ne medium can be employed to communicate a series of opinions on another medium... The universe of Technological Communication would then be patrolled by groups of communication guerrillas, who would restore a critical dimension to passive reception." Eco assumes, a priori, the radical politics of visual literacy, an idea eloquently argued by Stuart Ewen, a critic of consumer culture. "We live at a time when the image has become the predominant mode of public address, eclipsing all other forms in the structuring of meaning," asserts Ewen. "Yet little in our education prepares us to make sense of the rhetoric. historical development or social implications of the images within our lives." In a society of heat, light and electronic poltergeists -- an eerie otherworld of "illimitable vastness, brilliant light, and the gloss and smoothness of material things" -- the desperate project of reconstructing meaning, or at least reclaiming that notion from marketing departments and P.R. firms, requires visually-literate ghostbusters. Culture jammers answer to that name. "Jamming" is CB slang for the illegal practice of interrupting radio broadcasts or conversations between fellow hams with lip farts, obscenities, and other equally jejune hijinx. Culture jamming, by contrast, is directed against an ever more intrusive, instrumental technoculture whose operant mode is the manufacture of consent through the manipulation of symbols.

I hope that you wouldn't use this an alt card. You really only have one warrant for any sort of solvency in it and, beyond that, there's no example of what it could possibly solve for. Also, I think the card could be conceding that there is no chance of the alt working without visual aid; for some reason I don't know if fart noises will cut it.

Fair enough.

Its a K, you don't need no stink'n warrants. Ask Zizek....

But thats giving in to spin machines + talking heads. Not even your realism good/inevitable cards have an answer.

Your crisis talk good cards aren't going to help you either.

Plus, if your alt. is performative--it seems like it can be pic-esque in nature.

• Downvote 3

Fair enough.

Its a K, you don't need no stink'n warrants. Ask Zizek....

But thats giving in to spin machines + talking heads. Not even your realism good/inevitable cards have an answer.

Your crisis talk good cards aren't going to help you either.

Plus, if your alt. is performative--it seems like it can be pic-esque in nature.

I wouldn't run any realism good args, I'd just run cooption inevitable, make some fart noises throughout my speech, and perm. That's all that it takes.

specific intellectual can work against policy aff's, but foucault mentions a few times about just questioning.

Although, and i know that those who think that we should NEVER mix authors will have a field day, i'd read Agambo's "whatever being" as an alternative.

specific intellectual can work against policy aff's, but foucault mentions a few times about just questioning.

Although, and i know that those who think that we should NEVER mix authors will have a field day, i'd read Agambo's "whatever being" as an alternative.

Hell, if you're going to do "whatever being" why not just do D+G "break through the wall"? It's just as sweet and nonspecific.

Foucault has said multiple times, most specifically in a throwdown against Chomsky, that imagining a post-criticism world is itself problematic until you have questioned every institution of modern society, or you run the risk of using the current problematic institutions you haven't examined in your alternative, leading to more problems. This can be quite powerful for the aff if the neg doesn't run the pure "question" alt, which is really the most effective alternative to any foucault-based K; e.g. security, enviro security, managerialism, or anything with a biopower impact

Foucault has said multiple times, most specifically in a throwdown against Chomsky, that imagining a post-criticism world is itself problematic until you have questioned every institution of modern society, or you run the risk of using the current problematic institutions you haven't examined in your alternative, leading to more problems. This can be quite powerful for the aff if the neg doesn't run the pure "question" alt, which is really the most effective alternative to any foucault-based K; e.g. security, enviro security, managerialism, or anything with a biopower impact

random thought: this debate is transcripted and published, right?