Sign in to follow this  
DeCoach

Trojan Classic Tournament, Jenks OK

The Joy of Tournaments page for the Trojan Classic Forensic Tournament (Jenks HS) is now open at http://www.joyoftournaments.com/ok/jenks/info.asp Please start bugging your coaches now to enter this event; in recent years we have drawn entries from Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas and Nebraska. We look forward to your entry as well.

shameless, self-seving bump

Come join the fun!

Edited by DeCoach

Our squad was thinking of taking a couple of teams to this years tournament. We have never been, and had a couple of questions.

1. What is the competition like?

2. What is the judging like?

3. How is the tournament run?

4. Is it worth our while to drive down from Kansas City or would we have just as good of a tournament outing in town?

Thanks.

Our squad was thinking of taking a couple of teams to this years tournament. We have never been, and had a couple of questions.

1. What is the competition like?

2. What is the judging like?

3. How is the tournament run?

4. Is it worth our while to drive down from Kansas City or would we have just as good of a tournament outing in town?

Thanks.

Greenwood attended this tournament two years in a row almost two years ago but I imagine it is still of the quality it was then. Mr. Hartney, we once again have a conflict but I still wish to support this tournament with at least some explanations from my experience.

1. The competition is pretty good, especially in out rounds. Two years ago the tournament was won by Andrew Baker and Sarah Weiner two incredible debaters who went on to debate in the finals of NFL. Not only did they appear that year but many other kansas and oklahoma schools competed that I was impressed with. From my perspective of the quality of debate in Missouri and Oklahoma you will experience more diversity and better quality at this tournament than Missouri tournaments can attempt to offer. Further this tournament just draws more teams from more states which I find to be more fun.

2. The judging from my experience was also very good. Mr. Hartney makes the attempt every year to draw experienced judges. I found experienced judges in the back of my room every round which is also not found as commonly in missouri. Every year is different but I'm sure they still make the same effort.

3. The tournament is run similar to a normal local tournament. 4 prelims and from the invite it seems if the tournament is large enough there will be partial octs or, if otherwise, a normal quarters break. I believe they even do a few speaker awards. Further this tournament runs on time which is impressive considering the size.

4. It is definitely worthwhile to drive down to oklahoma simply to experience the diversity there than to debate the same teams in front of normal missouri judging pools. Mr. Hartney just puts on a great tournament.

hope this helps!

Edited by debateislife21
  • Downvote 1

I, personally have been to this tournament 2 times so far and have been impressed with it everytime we (Belton High School) have gone. I would highly recommend anyone in missouri who does cx to go to Jenks. (If you've had some of the judging i have, its quite a relief to finally have flow judges almost every round. Which, believe it or not, appears rarely in the state of MO.) Plus you can basically quadruple enter without killing yourself. It's a great experience, plus if you don't go to nat. circuit tournys, its a great way to see different styles that everyone has.