neural link

Vice Presidential Debate - Open thread

The only people who are going to think palin won this debate are 14yo boys who turned the sound off and jerked off to the debate. And Foxnews.

The only people who are going to think palin won this debate are 14yo boys who turned the sound off and jerked off to the debate. And Foxnews.

You just said two things that mean the same thing.

My verdict--

Biden: A-. He got himself into some ruts, when going on the offensive, and even totally countered himself in regards to the gay marriage question. However, he also drew a lot of blood in regards to actual substance in the debate.

Palin: C+. While she was confident in her responses, her answers lacked any coherence and true substance, for the most part. She neglected to answer several questions, and even at one point stated she would NOT answer the question. Despite this, she was able to trap Biden in a corner as far as his voting records go and how Obama has voted.

A clear Biden victory.

Biden: B+. He let himself get distracted by attempting to answer Palin's various digressions instead of (gently) forcing her to answer the question and stand up for McCain. Excellent substantive focus at certain points (especially on foreign policy).

Palin: C. I suppose this is better than we could have expected from her. She openly (and awkwardly) transitioned from nuclear proliferation to Afghanistan and completely failed to account for McCain's taxes on health care. She was vague and must have mentioned 'energy independence' a few dozen times. But, she avoided a total meltdown, and she won't have to survive another debate.

Verdict - A Biden win, but some of the issues may go over voter's heads. It was a decisive victory but will probably have little overall impact.

TOTAL BADASS ALERT

BIDEN WINS

In all honesty, Palin's answers were just so vague and so filled with buzzwords and so warrantless that Biden just took a dump all over her.

She said something, and Biden just responded and said, "That's retarded. Here's why."

Edit: Also, Biden destroyed Palin when he just sandbagged reasons why McCain isn't a maverick.

Edited by i caught awesomeitis

Palin's responses were pathetic, childish floundering and her overall performance was nothing but a robotic infomercial reciting Republican ideology.

Supposedly a lot of news networks are saying it was a victory for both candidates, since Biden won, and Palin didn't say something that was stupid and quotable.

Of course, I have a word document of hilarious Palin quotes from the debate right now, but that's another story

I wanted to watch the commentary as the debate happened, but I got one of those database errors! grrrrr.

My husband, a Republican, described it well: Palin had a handfull of issues and her job was to bring any question back to one of those few issues: energy policy, McCain's maverick status, energy, Iraq and the surge, etc.

If one of my debaters avoided questions like that and refused to clash on the actual topic presented, I'd have their heads. There were so many questions she didn't answer. My favorite was what is her real achilles heal: she has no weaknesses -- the saint from Wassila.

Watching the little lines at the bottom was interesting. Women responded to Biden more, men responded to Palin more. I think the men in their sample audience were more taken with her Miss Wassila standing than anything she had to say. But I can't say the women's appreciation of Biden was for the same reason -- Joe's not much to look at!

Finally, the debate was essentially a rehash of the presidential debate. I was waiting for the "preconditions" challenge and I knew Kissinger would be invoked by both sides. One CNN commentator just said the two candidates went after the tops of the tickets, instead of each other.

Overall, I was rather disappointed in the debate for this reason: I wanted some humorous soundbites and both of them behaved far too well.

I loved the speech where Biden just gave a huge list of all the reasons McCain isn't a maverick. I wished he'd said that earlier, though I understand why he saved it until near the end.

I vote for Biden on T. Palin often did not answer any semblance of the moderator question, and instead just spoke about a talking point she had prepared for. This was most obvious on her education shpeel when the question had nothing to do with it but Biden said "education" so she pounced on it.

However, I feared it worked (Well done, Coach O'Donnell). I was wrong, Palin did not get owned at all. I think the debate was a wash and the vice presidential candidates will have no effect on the race. They can both really only add negatives, and Palin didn't come off as an idiot while Biden did not come off as a blowhard so I don't think either will be points of attack for the opposition.

I think, in the end, the debate was a McCain win because the Democrats were having more success attacking Palin and I think it will be harder to do so since she was solid in the debate.

Oh, and was it just me or did anyone else feel like Palin was giving answers to the left of her campaign? She basically agreed with Biden on most of what he said and her message was definitely anti-outgoing adminstration even though she never bashed Bush by name.

I mean there are obvious differences between the campaigns on energy and healthcare but those didn't get a lot of attention on the debate

• Downvote 1

I loved the speech where Biden just gave a huge list of all the reasons McCain isn't a maverick. I wished he'd said that earlier, though I understand why he saved it until near the end.

yea this was epically epic. i also liked his baller line by line skills.

I thought it was probably a bad strategy for Palin to drop all the link turns.

Also, Biden's pretty bad-ass at the line by line.

I vote Biden on the WHOLE FREAKING FLOW. seriously, did she answer anything intelligently or completely? Biden answered nearly all of her questions, but Palin focused on the talking points that her "debate coaches" gave her. Sarah Barracuda my @#$!

The absurd thing about this is that the debate will probably help the McCain campaign. I think that any intelligent person, especially a debater, watching the debate can see that Biden won "on the flow." But Palin didn't say anything phenomenally stupid, since whenever she ran out of things to say about a topic she padded her answers with "we're fighting for freedom" and "we're a team of mavericks." Since expectations for her were incredibly low (justifiably so), even that miserable performance actually exceeded what was expected.

Anyway, I thought Biden crushed her.

The absurd thing about this is that the debate will probably help the McCain campaign. I think that any intelligent person, especially a debater, watching the debate can see that Biden won "on the flow." But Palin didn't say anything phenomenally stupid, since whenever she ran out of things to say about a topic she padded her answers with "we're fighting for freedom" and "we're a team of mavericks." Since expectations for her were incredibly low (justifiably so), even that miserable performance actually exceeded what was expected.

Anyway, I thought Biden crushed her.

it might stop the bleeding, but it wont sew up the gaping wound.

So the conservative pundits are saying "Palin's back" and such. But I'm left with this question: After watching Palin's body of work for the last month, is there anybody that really thinks they want her to be the next President if McCain dies?