Lemur

Stress in Debate

I was wondering if anyone could point me to any threads specific to stress in debate or if anyone would be willing to complete a survey to help with a research project that I am working on dealing with agressive forms of communication, such as debate, and their impact on stress levels for participants.

outside of debate:

1. Do you worry about your future (college/occupation/etc.?

2. Do you have too many things to do and not enough time to do them?

3. Do you feel pressure to get things done?

4. Do you get irritated/lose patience easily?

5. Do you have an active social life outisde of debate?

6. Do you exercise often?

within debate

1. How many hours do you spend on debate?

2. Do you neglect other commitments/responsiblities for debate?

3. Does the travel/tournament scheduel cause your life to become disorganized?

4. Does this affect your social life?

5. Do you feel that the stress associated with debate has affected your health? In what ways

at tournaments

1. Do you feel nervous before rounds? After rounds?

2. Does the civility of a round affect your stress level?

3. Do you lose your temper during cx? speeches?

4. Do you feel that the social aspect of debate offsets the stress caused by debate?

5. Do you feel it is less stressful to be aff or neg? why?

6. Do you feel that the fast paced, evidence based nature of policy debate is more stressful than LD/PF/IE's?

Suggestions for more questions or ideas on making debate less stressful please email me at pstolte33 @ gmail . com

Edited by Bad-Aff
questions added
  • Downvote 1

outside of debate:

1. Do you worry about your future (college/occupation/etc.? Yes, but I'm fairly confident about it.

2. Do you have too many things to do and not enough time to do them? No, I'm good at time management and do not take on commitments unless I will be able to fulfill them.

3. Do you feel pressure to get things done? Sometimes.

4. Do you get irritated/lose patience easily? No.

5. Do you have an active social life outisde of debate? Yes.

6. Do you exercise often? No.

within debate

1. How many hours do you spend on debate? I'm unsure what actually counts as on debate. Do hours on cross-x count?

2. Do you neglect other commitments/responsiblities for debate? I did in high school. I no longer do.

3. Does the travel/tournament scheduel cause your life to become disorganized? No

4. Does this affect your social life? -

5. Do you feel that the stress associated with debate has affected your health? In what ways. No

at tournaments

1. Do you feel nervous before rounds? After rounds? Slightly before, not at all after.

2. Does the civility of a round affect your stress level? Not especially.

3. Do you lose your temper during cx? speeches? No, never.

4. Do you feel that the social aspect of debate offsets the stress caused by debate? Yes. The social aspect is one of the best things about it.

5. Do you feel it is less stressful to be aff or neg? why? It more depends on the speech than the side. For example, I would find it less stressful to be the 1 than the 2 on either side.

6. Do you feel that the fast paced, evidence based nature of policy debate is more stressful than LD/PF/IE's? Yes, it is greatly more stressful and work intensive.

outside of debate:

1. Do you worry about your future (college/occupation/etc.? oh yeah, seriously. Big time.

2. Do you have too many things to do and not enough time to do them? actually I kind of feel like I don't do anything sometimes.

3. Do you feel pressure to get things done? definitely, although I don't do as much homework as I should

4. Do you get irritated/lose patience easily? I've chilled out during the past few years

5. Do you have an active social life outisde of debate? yeah, although a lot of my friends are people I've met through debate

6. Do you exercise often? I take a body conditioning class every other day but that's it

within debate

1. How many hours do you spend on debate? jesus christ, a shitload. 20-40 a week depending on where in the season it is.

2. Do you neglect other commitments/responsiblities for debate? all the time. homework, social life, etc

3. Does the travel/tournament scheduel cause your life to become disorganized? not really, I usually still have sundays to get stuff done

4. Does this affect your social life? sometimes, yeah. I've had to tell people I can't hang out because of debate a lot.

5. Do you feel that the stress associated with debate has affected your health? In what ways it's far and away the main stressor in my life and has been for three years now. Usually it's nothing more than general anxiety and stuff associated with that, but sometimes I can get pretty screwed up from nervousness.

at tournaments

1. Do you feel nervous before rounds? After rounds? As soon as a round starts to begin I get pretty comfortable, but leading up to it can be bad sometimes. After rounds I'm always just relieved to be done.

2. Does the civility of a round affect your stress level? I enjoy angry rounds.

3. Do you lose your temper during cx? speeches? I can get aggressive but that's all just for the sake of proving a point. I learned early on that getting genuinely mad gets you nowhere.

4. Do you feel that the social aspect of debate offsets the stress caused by debate? once I started to get to know people on my circuit it got a lot more fun... if you aren't making friends with the people you're going up against you're really missing out. It definitely helps - being nervous for a tournament can be offset by excitement to see your friends again.

5. Do you feel it is less stressful to be aff or neg? why? I'm always way stressed on aff - I win a lot more on neg, but on aff, there are going to be times when you literally don't have answers to someone. Then you're just screwed.

6. Do you feel that the fast paced, evidence based nature of policy debate is more stressful than LD/PF/IE's? Definitely. I also do extemp and LD and because they both are just so much more simple, I don't even really get excited/nervous, I just roll right through them.

outside of debate:

Yes, as a junior that's what i need to worry about.

No, I have time to procrastinate

Not really

WHAT'D YOU SAY TO ME?! ...no

Yup going to a party tomorrow, no expandos or anything

not anymore but i still have a six pack

within debate

I haven't counted but I'm highlighting 1ACs now.

To an extent, yes like tonight I don't plan to do chores.

No, I was disorganized before debate,

Yes, but in a positive way.

5. Do you feel that the stress associated with debate has affected your health? In what ways

No, not until recently, my girl (who is a novice) has been put in a tourney w/ second yr debaters...

at tournaments

Before: Depends on 1) who im facing and 2) how crucial it is. After: Well before the decision, yes but after that I'm good.

No, I usually don't take it personally.

CX, not anymore. Speeches, They say I sound like I'm screaming at my opponents.

4. Do you feel that the social aspect of debate offsets the stress caused by debate?

Yes, nothing like some weeks at camp to make you so laid back and have fun.

I have to say the amount is the same, because either side I'm going for the win. But for the resolution this year, I'd say neg is less stressful.

6. Do you feel that the fast paced, evidence based nature of policy debate is more stressful than LD/PF/IE's?

Yes, I'd like to feel that way but I know little on LD/PF/IE's. Hard to imagine those things to take as much time as debate.

Guest cjiron

outside of debate:

Kinda

yes

kinda

yes

yes

all the time!

within debate

well since wednesday of last wekk ive spent 6 hours a day ( excluding saturday) preparing for my tournament tommorrow

yes

no

no

no

at tournaments

no

idk

not really

no

stressful to be aff

yea.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to any threads specific to stress in debate or if anyone would be willing to complete a survey to help with a research project that I am working on dealing with agressive forms of communication, such as debate, and their impact on stress levels for participants.

outside of debate:

yes

yes

yes

occasionally

yes

not anymore

within debate

2-3 hours/day

yes

yes

yes

yes, less time to exercise

at tournaments

no, no

no

only if the other team are severe assholes

yes

aff if they run less than 6 off, otherwise neg. aff has infinite prep

probably

Suggestions for more questions or ideas on making debate less stressful please email me at pstolte33 @ gmail . com

1. Do you worry about your future (college/occupation/etc.? Yes, and I'm pretty sure I have high blood pressure because of it.

2. Do you have too many things to do and not enough time to do them? yes, I spend a good 4 hours doing debate related activities, 10 hours thinking about debate, an hour doing homework, and 9 hours of sleeping (not enough time for sleeping though).

3. Do you feel pressure to get things done? yes, all the time.

4. Do you get irritated/lose patience easily? Depends on the time and who the person is.

5. Do you have an active social life outside of debate? No, debate is my social life.

6. Do you exercise often? Not counting for walking to classes, no I don't.

within debate

1. How many hours do you spend on debate? 60-84 hours a week, some working on evidence and other time thinking about which cards we need to find.

2. Do you neglect other commitments/responsibilities for debate? I've pretty much learned debate comes first and only second if there's a family emergency.

3. Does the travel/tournament schedule cause your life to become disorganized? I plan around travel/tournaments.

4. Does this affect your social life? I used to do a lot more when debate wasn't going on.

5. Do you feel that the stress associated with debate has affected your health? In what ways? Aside from the high blood pressure, high anxiety, and eating fast food rich in fat and cholesterol, no it hasn't.

at tournaments

1. Do you feel nervous before rounds? After rounds? Before rounds yes, after rounds relieved it's over.

2. Does the civility of a round affect your stress level? I get into it to say the least.

3. Do you lose your temper during cx? speeches? Yes, but generally it's a controlled temper. I like to be the one who's calm and collected, yet can fire away at someone when they deserve it.

4. Do you feel that the social aspect of debate offsets the stress caused by debate? Yes, you're hanging around these people during tournaments and traveling everywhere, so you definitely get learn the people and like them.

5. Do you feel it is less stressful to be aff or neg? why? Neg, you only have to win one stock issue and generally with this year's topic it's not too hard to find generic evidence for all plans/energies. So def. neg.

6. Do you feel that the fast paced, evidence based nature of policy debate is more stressful than LD/PF/IE's? Yes, Parli debate is way less stressful than policy is. Parli, you can get up and say pretty much anything and not worry about someone pulling out some card that you didn't know existed.

outside of debate:

1. Do you worry about your future (college/occupation/etc.? yes, of course but things always work themselves out so im not reall that anxious

2. Do you have too many things to do and not enough time to do them? nah i do a crudload of stuff, but usually i am well scheduled and ontime

3. Do you feel pressure to get things done? yes, i usually have a strict mental schedule, and im hard-pressed for time, if i am to get any relaxing time

4. Do you get irritated/lose patience easily? irritated yes, its my nature, i get pissy over alot of stuff, usually physically agressive about it too, but meh.

5. Do you have an active social life outisde of debate? yeah, i have a ton of freinds, and play footbal for school, tennis, and wrestling.

6. Do you exercise often? yeah all summer long i have two-a-day football camps, then everyday after school for 4 hours i have football practice, then when seasons over in november, wrestling starts, and we have to wrestle + weightlift for 4-5 hours after school, then in the spring i have tennis, with lots of running, and i take tae kwon do (for 6 years). i still weigh 289 lbs though xD makes me an awesome d tackle, and suprise fullback =D

within debate

1. How many hours do you spend on debate? hmmm about 1-2 hours a day normally, then 2-3 weeks before each tournament (1 every 4 1/2 weeks) i usually spend 5-10 hours on debate

2. Do you neglect other commitments/responsiblities for debate? nope i make sure verything is done before i start

3. Does the travel/tournament scheduel cause your life to become disorganized? no its actually pretty convinent, i party on fridays, sleep, wake up on saturday refreshed and get going to the tournys

4. Does this affect your social life? well i cant drink, anything but water, and cant party too much the day before but not really.

5. Do you feel that the stress associated with debate has affected your health? In what ways nope, i actually feel it helps me keep astute.

at tournaments

1. Do you feel nervous before rounds? After rounds? before rounds of course =D, theres this little butterfly in your stomach feeling, right before your round, where you feel almost emotionless, yet anxious at the same time, then it all comes to an end with the first tag and cite, and by the time your done with the debate your relaxed, and very happy. after rounds im really just like relaxed not even thinking about how badly we whooped the other team =D.

2. Does the civility of a round affect your stress level? sometimes yes, but usually im not really that nervous or stressed at tournaments.

3. Do you lose your temper during cx? speeches? of course, but i force myself to keep it in, it can cost you everything, with the slightest slip.

4. Do you feel that the social aspect of debate offsets the stress caused by debate? definitely debate has been an uber plus in my social life.

5. Do you feel it is less stressful to be aff or neg? why? hmmm i love going aff, but it seems harder, you can lose on one argument, even if its the most bullshit arg. youve ever heard in your life, you spend all this time creating the perfect case, then some douche makes some bullshit arg. but you can catch them and turn it, which i love, the aff has a special like focus, where it causes you to think critically about your neg's responses and attacks, where you can hear every argument, and find an answer to it in no time, even before hearing all the warrants of the arg. now i love the neg, on the neg even with generic arguments you can win, you can not know anything about the affs case before the round, have all your cards, listen to maybe half of the 1ac and prepare your attack, almost half-mindedly sub-consciously knowing your running the right argument.

6. Do you feel that the fast paced, evidence based nature of policy debate is more stressful than LD/PF/IE's? no i feel policy is the perfect medium, where you can perform your case, read it, bullshit it, and almost spin anything anyway, whereas ld its always one certain way, with an ever-changing topic that throws you off, i prefer policy the most because of this, and because it expresses our inner policymakers, and encourages us to bring the warrants from a debate round into the real world, and make a difference in someones lives.

sometimes. i worry my grades won't be good enough to get me in, considering i divert the majority of my time to debate.

Only when i crunch on debate, around district season, and i get homework/exams.

Yes.

Only when i try to run TFA cases in UIL, or i go up against a really bitchy opponent (rude ppl annoy me)

Yes

No

within debate

40-60 hours per week. 4-5 hours after school and more at home.

yes, often

no

no

no

at tournaments

A lot right before rounds, but once it starts i just get in the zone, it just comes naturally and flows.

Yes, when someone's really rude i get fired up/angry and my stress goes up

Not unless i'm in TFA. Here in conservative-land we have to keep our composure and contain our rage.

yeah

It's more stressful to be Aff, because i'm the 1A, and starting off the round can be stressful. Especially since i had some bad 1A's last year where my voice got skewed. It's gotten a lot better though.

yeah. After doing LD/PFD it is much more stressful for CX, but only because it's more competitive. Extemp can be more stressful though, because everything has to be memorized

outside of debate:

1. Do you worry about your future (college/occupation/etc.?) ya def, who doesnt?

2. Do you have too many things to do and not enough time to do them? oh always, debate prep is never ending and school work doesnt help

3. Do you feel pressure to get things done? ya

4. Do you get irritated/lose patience easily? depends on what it is but not usually

5. Do you have an active social life outisde of debate? i'd like to say so ;)

6. Do you exercise often? i referee soccer games as a job so im running every weekend

within debate

1. How many hours do you spend on debate? 10-20 every week probs

2. Do you neglect other commitments/responsiblities for debate? eh i try not to but its inevitable

3. Does the travel/tournament scheduel cause your life to become disorganized? occasionally

4. Does this affect your social life? only sometimes, our school doesnt go to a whole lot of tournaments so its not that big of a deal

5. Do you feel that the stress associated with debate has affected your health? In what ways? it definatly has before in the past. my entire sophmore year i would get pretty neaseous before rounds/tournaments, this started at camp after novice year. i would just get very nervous and wouldn't feel good as a result

at tournaments

1. Do you feel nervous before rounds? After rounds? before rounds ya, once i get in the room i calm down and get into the 'debate mood' then after rounds idc at all

2. Does the civility of a round affect your stress level? if ppl are being dick's it just makes me mad

3. Do you lose your temper during cx? speeches? in cx i can get frustrated, not so much losing my temper

4. Do you feel that the social aspect of debate offsets the stress caused by debate? ya for sure, half the fun of debate is meeting new ppl and making friends

5. Do you feel it is less stressful to be aff or neg? why? i'd say neg, because on aff the neg will always be able to find something to run that your not prepped for

6. Do you feel that the fast paced, evidence based nature of policy debate is more stressful than LD/PF/IE's? for sure, i do parli debate at league tournaments for fun and its just rlly relaxing and i dont even half to worry

Outside of debate:

1. Do you worry about your future (college/occupation/etc.? Yeah. I'm a senior so I've got college coming up.

2. Do you have too many things to do and not enough time to do them? Last night I was up til 1:00AM doing homework, only to get up at 6:00 this morning to do a journalism interview. I'm averaging about six hours of sleep and I'm starting to feel it.

3. Do you feel pressure to get things done? No, generally I'm a "things get done no matter what I do" type of person. I'm extremely adept at doing the minimum and obtaining the maximum.

4. Do you get irritated/lose patience easily? Probably. My personality isn't exactly Mr. Sweet & Charming.

5. Do you have an active social life outisde of debate? Yeah, though to be honest my social life probably isn't at a high point right now.

6. Do you exercise often? Depends if activities like 'breathing' and 'occupying space' count. Actually I'm in fairly decent shape, I'm about 5'11" 140 lbs. I don't have time for sports, though.

within debate

1. How many hours do you spend on debate? A week? It can vary from a couple spare hours trolling cross-x to 12+ hours the week before a tournament. I'm the only varsity person on my squad so I handle the workload of about four people.

2. Do you neglect other commitments/responsiblities for debate? Commitments? No. Do I neglect outside social activities? Probably. If I had to pick a debate tournament or the homecoming dance/game I'd probably pick the debate tournament.

3. Does the travel/tournament scheduel cause your life to become disorganized? I don't know, this is my team's first year of traveling extensively.

4. Does this affect your social life? I don't know.

5. Do you feel that the stress associated with debate has affected your health? In what ways. No. Generally debate hasn't affected my personal health because it's an activity that suits my personality.

at tournaments

1. Do you feel nervous before rounds? After rounds? No, strangely enough I've never felt nervous at debate tournaments, even my novice year. The only time debate affects me like that mentally is when I'm trying to fall asleep, a lot of times my mind starts racing about debate and I lie awake for an hour or more. Not necessarily nervousness but more like anticipation.

2. Does the civility of a round affect your stress level? No. I can be polite and nasty and I can handle both.

3. Do you lose your temper during cx? speeches? No, though I'll fully concede that I sound pretty downright violent during some of my speeches. (I've gotten a lot of ballots from lay judges that say "too worked up", "overly passionate", etc.) In cross-x I don't throw temper tamtrums although I tend to make sarcastic remarks.

4. Do you feel that the social aspect of debate offsets the stress caused by debate? I'm not sure. I haven't been much involved in debate culture before just a few months ago. Definitely going to debate camp for the first time was an awesome experience and really made me feel good about debate as an activity, though.

5. Do you feel it is less stressful to be aff or neg? why? There's two sources of stress me as it relates to debate. The first is the fear of the unknown - I hate it when I encounter an argument that I've literally never encountered before. I have gobbles of evidence but there's just no way to prepare for those really weird disads or kritkal advocacies. This applies equally to the aff or the neg.

The second source of stress for me is the spread - my hearing is really bad, I mean, shit poor. I have to use hearing aids just to engage in everyday conversation. Now imagine a debater flying along at six words a second and me being physically able to comprehend maybe half of those words. I'm not going to catch the sneaky independent voter you throw out there (though believe me when I say I will kritik the fuck out of you if you try it). I can cheat if there's evidence I can read, but if it's just analytical line-by-line sometimes I just can't keep up. Knowing that I'm going to lose a round here and there because of it drives me nuts. This applies equally to the aff and neg, and has more to do with speaking position (1 is easier for me than 2 since 2 means more analytics).

6. Do you feel that the fast paced, evidence based nature of policy debate is more stressful than LD/PF/IE's? Most definitely, I'd be an awesome PF or IE person but I'm just so addicted to policy that I would never consider it.

outside of debate:

a wee bit but i mostly have it figured out

yes

nope

nope

nope

heh no

within debate

4-10 a week

ummm putting off my homework count?

yep

i have no social life out side of debate sadly

nope

at tournaments

no and no

nope

no i usally have a fun fun time in rounds

yep

i suppose aff cause the ammount of research spent on the aff is greater so you know a wee bit more about it

meh policy sperates the men from the boys :P

outside of debate:

Nope

not usually but I try to make myself busy as possible

not really at all

nope

sure, but I neglect it

if walking and general getting places counts.

within debate

8-12/wk

always

not that much. I manage to stay pretty organized

eh, I guess some but I don't really care about those people that much so it's no biggie.

umm, it's the best kind of anti-depressant. fer serious. it makes the rest of my life suck I guess. But debate isn't stressful.

at tournaments

a little before rounds but not really after rounds. If judge doesn't disclose then I'm curious but not nervous.

nope just my amusement.

nope. I used to, but now it just makes me happy.

surely.

neg. b/c I find it easier to attack than defend.

6. Do you feel that the fast paced, evidence based nature of policy debate is more stressful than LD/PF/IE's? well sure since it's actually legit... and it's work.

outside of debate:

I worry about what I'll do in the future. Mostly I worry about whether or not I'll be doing something that I find fulfilling and productive.

Definitely, though this may be a consequence of the ease with which I am distracted.

Definitely. I'm constantly feeling strained in terms of getting things done, even when I am ahead in my work.

I'm not easily irritated and I consider myself to be very patient.

My social life outside debate is probably too active.

I exercise for an hour Monday through Friday.

within debate

Anywhere between 2 and 5 hours a week.

I used to more then I do now. Sometimes I'm tempted to neglect my school work for debate, but I tend to value my school work first.

It depends on how much planning I put into it. Debate tournaments have caused me to get ahead on my work and have caused me to fall behind as well. I've been trending toward the former.

I would say yes. I've found it difficult to keep up with my friends in college. Its also limited the time I can spend with my girlfriend.

I don't think so. At times it has made me sleep deprived but that hasn't adversely affected my health.

at tournaments

I feel nervous before, not after rounds. And I stop feeling nervous when the speeches begin.

The more aggressive the other team is, the more stressful it gets, unless I know I'm decisively winning the round.

I don't lose my temper, I rarely get angry, though I act a bit incredulous.

Not really.

Its less stressful to be negative because I'm the 1N.

Having participated in PF I'd say it is definitely more stressful.