Sciby09

Algae Biofuels for the Airforce

Just a quick question...what is everybody running on this case?

Oh and does anyone know what camps put out a neg file?

• Downvote 1

I looked through some of the camp files, but I couldn't find any specific case negatives for algae. I imagine that the affirmative will claim fuel independence as an advantage, though. Run a country specific (I suggest Iraq) oil disadvantage, like through the advantage, but it'd be sweet if you could also have a perception link.

Oh, and make sure you defend whatever the impact to dependency is. I imagine it'll be like terror, so just say "petro dollars don't fund terrorism" -- or something.

Hope that helps.

Guest svfrey

i/we picked up on this case over the weekend at georgetown day.

my partner's 2NR was heg bad and the oil DA

if you're ready for a big heg debate, this is an easy route to victory.

Guest svfrey

they'd better link to oil.

either they solve their air force advantage, meaning they link, or they don't decrease oil usage and therefore don't solve...

plus most affs will claim private sector (airline industry) spillover anyways, so that's another link.

CTL cp solves the entire aff, but the CTL = warming/coal industry da's to the cp are pretty good, but answerable. The hard part is winning a substantial net benefit. Its hard to find any specific politics links that will be able to distingish algae/ctl, and I haven't really found any good algae bad args.

I feel hege bad is generally not a super-strategic option given the fact that they can probably no-link all your turns with the specificity of air power. Hege is also actually good. Air power bad turns are a better bet - then probably a cp to spur algae use in airlines and you are set.

they'd better link to oil.

either they solve their air force advantage, meaning they link, or they don't decrease oil usage and therefore don't solve...

plus most affs will claim private sector (airline industry) spillover anyways, so that's another link.

The issue is magnitude of the link. True, we wouldn't need oil for aircraft, but there's still millions of other vehicles that need oil. If you have a good perception link card it solves that problem, but if you don't, the link isn't really enough to have the Saudis/OPEC flood the market, or whatever your scenario is.

SDI 3 week put out an algae neg, not a algae airforce neg though. I don't know, but that may be helpful to you.

We had an advantage about the airforce though.

Just a quick question...what is everybody running on this case?

Oh and does anyone know what camps put out a neg file?

I've never heard of algae biofuels for the airforce. I have, however, heard of algae biofuels and hit it a couple of times at a tournament. I've tried looking for negative evidence on it, but there literally isn't anything. The stuff's great. You can run an inherency argument against it though, because the government is already using algae biofuels to replace oil (we have a plant on the MoKan state line) and a couple of major oil companies are already investing in it. I don't know if this helps you, so I apologize if it doesn't. Good luck, though.

As could be obvious by my name, I'm running an algae case, and if you're looking for negatives your best bet is to run solvency arguments against their case specifics, because algae itself has VERY few negatives. In fact, I just finished shooting down all of the camp negatives against it. To the Air Force thing however, I would argue significance, because the Air Force does not use a significant portion of the fuel in the United States. I would also argue that this plan does not benifeit the average citizen in any way.

• Downvote 1

there is little reason algae is key... there are many other biofuel sources possible, and there's many Algae Bad net benefits as well.

as for camp files, i haven't seen any that did even mediocre work on this. so you should really cut your own neg to this

We had an advantage about the airforce though.

No, STP's was about the airlines industry, it's two different things.

I don't know why anyone would run algae over CTL, except for the T issues.

CTL is more plausible, the military wants it, and we've used it minimally and has been effective.

The answers to warming are good, SDI had a solid card talking about its inevitability, which also answers any industry disads.

there is little reason algae is key... there are many other biofuel sources possible, and there's many Algae Bad net benefits as well.

as for camp files, i haven't seen any that did even mediocre work on this. so you should really cut your own neg to this

full of win^

this aff doesn't link to oil - the military uses 3% of the US's oil, and algae only replaces half of air force usage, which is minimal...

you could get a BIG link magnifier--with

a) a spill over argument (mainstreaming/commericialization) or B) a modeling argument

(I think either one should be sufficient)

and thats another reason why going for hege bad is smart.

i think in order to beat this case you should read some evidence arguing that algae cant provide enough energy to supplement enough of our oil dependence and that when planes fly at high altitudes the fuel becomes frozen.

I agree with Algae, your A-Strat should def be significance and solvency. Those are the only real arguments in debate anyway.

Seriously, CTL/Carbon Sequestration CP with Algae bad DA's. You could also try CMR I guess (There is excellent evidence that the Military is begging to use CTL, but hates Algae/Biofuels and sees it as needless intervention).