Sign in to follow this  
HxC Forensics

Laptops allowed in California League/ District tournaments

It's true. However, there is a referendum to overturn the council's decision. Here's the story. The council voted in September to allow laptops at the state tournament in policy debate only. Of course, there are the usual caveats: no internet connectivity in the round, no outside communication, printed evidence must be available for your opponents.

Now, your league doesn't have to follow this, so you should check with your coach. And, I'd strongly suggest you listen to your coach about what he or she wants you to use or not use in round.

Whoa... wait. So does that mean, like, basically all California tournaments?

Idk christine, i haven't read the emails that have been passed around. All i know is that all the league tournaments that our school participates in from now on in, we can use laptops. =D

Don't think it will change anything. Lay judges will probably be turned off by laptops.

They probably will, but then ill turn them right back on =]

ive looked into it and basically if you look on page 3 here ----> http://www.cahssa.org/PDF/Minutes/Minutes2008-09.pdf

a tad confusing, but ill ask my coach just to be sure like Marcus said, or if i get desperate, my NFL district chair (Derek Yuill maybe ya heard?) is about 3 miles down my school if things get really distorted, he always knows whats up for some reason. thanks for the updates!

Not all california tournament, because some leagues still don't allow it. However, Christine, ours does.

Not all california tournament, because some leagues still don't allow it. However, Christine, ours does.

Sweeeeeet! :) ...just gotta wait until November to get mine. I'm still stuck on color/design, though. I really want this one:

laptop-studio-17-mingsun-314.jpg

...but it's $73 extra. :/ Whereas this one:

studio_17_purple_314.jpg

...is only $24 extra.

But the first one is so awesome. :) Hmm... decisions, decisions.

They probably will, but then ill turn them right back on =]

Hahahaha. You woulddddd. :rolleyes:

If some leagues won't support it, I don't see what effect this has. Big tournaments already allowed them (to my knowledge), it's the local tournaments that didn't. My league for sure won't allow it (already lost one round this year because of 'cheating' by using a laptop, even though the judge voted for us).

I didn't even know they didn't allow laptops there. We have always been allowed to use laptops. Debate is definatly better with laptops I have to say. It makes the debate soooo much more organized. Well... good luck with the judges that dont allow.

Sweeeeeet! :) ...just gotta wait until November to get mine. I'm still stuck on color/design, though. I really want this one:

laptop-studio-17-mingsun-314.jpg

...but it's $73 extra. :/ Whereas this one:

studio_17_purple_314.jpg

...is only $24 extra.

But the first one is so awesome. :) Hmm... decisions, decisions.

Hahahaha. You woulddddd. :rolleyes:

top one.

also, get a spare battery.

Like a latter poster said, talk to your coaches and make strategic choices. I know in my state we have some coaches and judges who really hate the recent provision to permit laptops in rounds and if we use laptops and our opponents don't, it is possible the judge could vote against us.

Sometimes, it just isn't worth the risk when we can beat our opponents even with paper flows.

If some leagues won't support it, I don't see what effect this has. Big tournaments already allowed them (to my knowledge), it's the local tournaments that didn't. My league for sure won't allow it (already lost one round this year because of 'cheating' by using a laptop, even though the judge voted for us).

Yeah. The rules are the rules. That team was told not to use a laptop by their coach. They didn't listen. The state tournament now allows laptops in policy. If your league decides to follow the state tournament rules, as many of them do, then you will be able to use it in your league. For instance, your league is considering making the change for policy. In fact, Ben, your league voted to allow computers in policy debate at state.

Edited by JustACoach

top one.

also, get a spare battery.

Mmm... agreed. And gracias for the tip.