AmazedGore

Irony Aff

hey i heard theres an irony aff involving a soul powered generator, i would much appreciate it if someone could give me some info on it and if they would give me a link to where i could find this aff, or email it to me, my email is amazedgore@gmail.com, thank you for your time

hey i heard theres an irony aff involving a soul powered generator, i would much appreciate it if someone could give me some info on it and if they would give me a link to where i could find this aff, or email it to me, my email is amazedgore@gmail.com, thank you for your time
Don't be lazy - write your own. Stealing another person's act will only make you Dennis Leary.

this specific case. What is it being ironic about? the energy industry or capitalism or the government stealing our soul?

i know that aff, it was released by a couple of camps. but i think that's different from the soul generator. sounds like an ironic critique of capitalism tho. sacrificing our souls for cheap efficient power.

The version I hit at Wake Forest was that we should offer our bodies for thermal depolymerization into oil.

EDIT: needless to say, we didn't lose that round.

good god, i hope to never hear that piece of shit.

It's sad, they didn't have answers to Zizek.

we answered Zizek adequately, we lost on instrumentality and the Der Derian card that we undercovered.

It is actually a relatively good case that easily beat Calhoun and Bronx Science.

Guest fizelly27
whoa, the ironic aff beat bronx's team that won nationals, or another one of their teams?

their team that won nats graduated, so one of their other teams.

i'm assuming the aff in question at Wake Forest was the TDP aff from CNDI. the aff is an ironic criticism of the idea that we view everything as a tradeable resource, thus capitalist logic now exists even at the nexus of the government and the body. the plan ironically provides tax credits (or some shit like that) for people who offer their dead bodies for thermal depolymerization. you can find this aff here:

http://openev.debatecoaches.org/files/99

it seems to me that this should be relatively easy to beat on the framework debate, and i'm also puzzled as to why they have actual solvency (TDP is efficient, TDP is viable, etc.) whatever. apparently SDI released a neg for it, but i haven't actually checked so don't quote me on that.

we answered Zizek adequately, we lost on instrumentality and the Der Derian card that we undercovered.

It is actually a relatively good case that easily beat Calhoun and Bronx Science.

Funny considering he didn't extend Der Derian in the 2nr, but rather Zizek/Douzinas.

I heard some pretty awesome nanotech good/post humanism evidence that was amazing (although very hollow on the warrant & rationale dept.) that would make pretty good answers to a tech K or as part of the 1ac.

i'm assuming the aff in question at Wake Forest was the TDP aff from CNDI. the aff is an ironic criticism of the idea that we view everything as a tradeable resource, thus capitalist logic now exists even at the nexus of the government and the body. the plan ironically provides tax credits (or some shit like that) for people who offer their dead bodies for thermal depolymerization. you can find this aff here:

http://openev.debatecoaches.org/files/99

it seems to me that this should be relatively easy to beat on the framework debate, and i'm also puzzled as to why they have actual solvency (TDP is efficient, TDP is viable, etc.) whatever. apparently SDI released a neg for it, but i haven't actually checked so don't quote me on that.

it's because the first part of the aff is ironic. you don't extend those cards in subsequent speeches, it's to freak out the judge + competitors a little for the first couple minutes. best performed with a dead serious face and massive overexaggeration on the taglines. =)

oh, and the incentive is removing the estate tax. so when grandpa kicks the bucket, if you turn his body into oil, the government doesn't tax your inheritance.

what i never got about either this or the zizekian over-ID affs was the fact that there would be an "ironic identification" part, then the aff would spend the rest of their time telling the judge to vote for them. thats like telling a joke and then being like "SEE! LOOK! I TOLD A JOKE! YOU SHOULD REACT POSITIVELY TO MY PERFORMANCE!" IMHO, that defeats the purpose, esp. for those zizek affs. whatever; each to their own.

what i never got about either this or the zizekian over-ID affs was the fact that there would be an "ironic identification" part, then the aff would spend the rest of their time telling the judge to vote for them. thats like telling a joke and then being like "SEE! LOOK! I TOLD A JOKE! YOU SHOULD REACT POSITIVELY TO MY PERFORMANCE!" IMHO, that defeats the purpose, esp. for those zizek affs. whatever; each to their own.

Nah, I know what you mean. I'm super surprised that people are honestly taking this aff and running it at tournaments. It was fun and interesting for the Berkeley K lab, but it's not a viable affirmative for serious debate...if people are going to run performance, they should at least cut their own.