KCKCCdebate

KCKCC TOC/DCI Tournament Oct. 31-Nov 2

Friends,

Kansas City Kansas Community College is pleased to announce that this year's TOC/DCI qualifying tournament will be held the weekend of October 31st-Nov. 2nd, 2008.

We are also pleased to announce that the tournament on Friday and Saturday will be housed at Olathe North High School in Olathe KS. Coach Swanson and his debaters and Administration have graciously agreed to serve as our host site this year. The last 2 years we were lucky to have Shawnee Mission East host us. We consider ourselves just as lucky to be at Olathe North this year. They have a wonderful facility and we are thrilled to begin this relationship with them.

A full invitation and other exciting details will be posted soon. We hope you plan to join us for what has become one of the largest and most competitive tournaments the Mid West has to offer.

Sincerely,

Darren Elliott

Director of Debate and Forensics

Kansas City Kansas Community College

Amy Arellano

Assistant Debate and Forensics Coach

Kansas City Kansas Community College

Who's idea was it to put this tournament on the same weekend as the Iowa Caucus?

There are a lot of tournaments that weekend, but there are other national circuit tournaments that Kansas teams have to do the same for. University of Texas is the same date as CFL for most teams, Dowling is the same weekend as NFL, and Glenbrooks is the same day as T High.

the difference is that KCKCC is not a local Kansas tournament

and it means that two bid tournaments in the same region are happening at the same time

Of course one at Kentucky is checking when T-High is happening (no offense, Mrs. McComas), but they certainly know about KCKCC....

The "bottom" for bid-seeking teams at KCKCC is bound to be HUGE and despite while Caucus also has a sizable bottom, it's bound to be nothing like KCKCC where a great many of the debaters will be getting their first "circuit style" experience or at least their only annual one (arguably so given the heavy influence of regional practices so of which don't make sense to the larger community caused by the utilization of coaches in the judging pool).

In short, teams looking to go out on this weekend and pick the easier tournament to recieve a bid at will meet you in KC (not that this is the only reason for attending; obviously it's close, cheap, and a well-run tournament as I recall). Teams looking for a tournament that might match their at-large application a little better or looking to evade the unknown variables known as "Coach from Bumblefuck A" will meet you in Iowa (ugh). Neither tournament is "better" but I imagine the experiences vary greatly.

Who's idea was it to put this tournament on the same weekend as the Iowa Caucus?

I am pretty sure that the date was chosen by the organization putting the tournament on. As to the conflict with other bid tournaments and other issues related to the event I always encourage debaters to have their own coach contact the tournament director directly.

Given the incredible generosity of the KCKCC program to the high schools in this area including free tournaments and workshops I would be inclined to give them a free pass on this.

Moreover, they have their own circuit to compete on that does not consider the high school schedule as a conflict.

It is up to you guys to decide how you feel, but the picture is bigger than some here are painting it.

...or was the question rhetorical? If so, sorry I answered it.

Peace

For those concerned, I was going to simply say it was Deskboy's idea but since this turned somewhat serious I thought a serious answer should follow.

This tournament is the same weekend it has been the last 2 years. The first weekend in November. Likewise, I am assuming should the Caucus fall on this weekend, it is their same weekend--the last weekend in October (technically). Given that the calendar falls in an odd spot this year and there is a cross-over weekend (covering 2 months) it creates a natural conflict. This happens all the time in the real world, the debate world, and certainly for other organizations. The weekend in question is also the Harvard college tournament. We lose some good judges locally who will attend that event. College recruiters will also be spread out likely. However I have confirmation that Cal will have their coach in attendance again at the KCKCC tournament. So that's good news. Ask Sarah Weiner. : )

I have not been in contact with the folks running the Iowa Caucus, nor them with me. We did announce our date early however. For me the decision was easy. I talked to, met with, and had other forms of communication with coaches who attend the tournament. For virtually all of them, they preferred this set of dates. We exist to serve the needs of the majority of folks who attend our tournament. So to them, I gave the utmost input.

For us, it is actually a good thing. For the past 2 years my own squad sacrificed a College Tournament (UCO) in order to host the TOC/DCI qualifier. This year, it works out that we can do both. Not our primary concern but a good effect.

Hope this insight is helpful. And again, if blaming it on Deskboy makes anyone feel better, please do so.

chief

Darren Elliott

Director of Debate and Forensics

KCKCC

However I have confirmation that Cal will have their coach in attendance again at the KCKCC tournament. So that's good news. Ask Sarah Weiner. : )

Very good news indeed :)

And I get to come back to judge!

You're hanging out with some of the UMKC kids that are judging at this tournament. Not optional its an obligation.

Not to put a damper on the party, but Leigha and I already have dibs on Sarah. =] We might possibly consider sharing though.

Is there going to be a need for tournament hired judges?

Since KCKCC falls on the weekend of the Iowa tourament I am unsure whether my old high school will be attending, none-the-less I would like to come down and judge.

~Lisa Kaplinger

anyone else interested in dressing up for Halloween at this tournament?

if we all do it it won't look so weird

and, it'll make everyone's performance affs even better

anyone else interested in dressing up for Halloween at this tournament?

if we all do it it won't look so weird

and, it'll make everyone's performance affs even better

No. Oh god please no

Where do you register for this tournament? I cant find it anywhere? Not JOT, not Debate Results?

Where do you register for this tournament? I cant find it anywhere? Not JOT, not Debate Results?

Try sending Chief a PM.

if anybody wants to hire me to coach/judge at this tournament I am also available. I worked with the team of Allsup and Curiel who got two bids last year. I have recommendations and my own transportation and housing. I don't check cross-x all that much, so email me about thefunkmachine at gmail.com if you want to get ahold of me.

• Upvote 1

Contracts are not available. I've gotten hired though proving that there are schools who will hire ANYTHING.

This also means that you all should be on the lookout for my name on the strike sheets. The instructions are usually simple so I don't anticipate judging all that many debates.

This also means that you all should be on the lookout for my name on the strike sheets. The instructions are usually simple so I don't anticipate judging all that many debates.

I haven't played the game in a long time, but if someone at this tourney doesn't want Cook as a critic, then they are completing missing out.

I emailed Chief and he sent me back the invite. I guess the registration is over phone/email this year. Anyway, my suggestion e-mail...