ksdebater43

Another loss in the Debate Community

Kansas, and the debate community in general has lost one of its own. He has touched a lot of people and for sure opened my eyes to alot of different ideas. He will be missed.

RIP Trever Curiel 1990-2008

• Upvote 1

Trevor was always nice to me. I respect him so much for what has done for debate and how good he was at it.

RIP

• Upvote 1

I have fantastic memories of him, beginning working with him after his novice year, you could always tell he was going to be great. My condolences to the family. Will someone with the knowledge please post when the memorial service will be?

What a tragedy and sad weekend....

Edited by melissa_newton
  • Upvote 1

this news is pretty devistating, although I only got to judge him a couple of times, he reminded me why I have spent so much time staying active in debate. Trevor had levels of knowledge, passion and humor that I have seen unrivaled at times, he reminded me that we were all here to have fun, and for that, saying thanks does not even begin to scratch the surface.....

• Upvote 1

The most bitter taste is that of a life lost in it's springtime. Rest in peace Trevor and my prayers for his family and friends.

Swanson

• Upvote 1

I probably rewrote this post a good four or five times. I can't think of any words to say that would do my friend justice. Everything that I type just seems to be void of something. What I do know for sure is that anyone that had the pleasure of knowing Trevor was truly blessed.

• Upvote 1

Guest fizelly27

I debated Trevor once and he was the epitome of what the community needs- smart competitive debaters who maintain their quality character in round and out of round. He will be sorely missed.

I agree with Johnny, words cannot describe the way I feel. While I wasn't as close to Trevor as many of you were, I understand the impact that he had on everyone he met. Being a teamate of his for 2 years, he opened my eyes to alot of things I wouldn't have realized otherwise. He was always fun to room with at tournaments and always knew how to put a smile on your face with his laid back character. He will be terribly missed.

While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil. ~John Taylor

• Upvote 1

My fondest memory of Trevor is the simple fact that he was polite while kicking everyone's ass. We lost a damn good debater, and one of the smartest people I've yet to meet.

Rest in peace Trevor. You will be missed in the debate community. I remember debating you a long time ago and I remember it was a very good round. Thank you.

I found this website that is a contribution site for Trevor's memorial fund.

http://becomingunstuck.livejournal.com/16522.html

That's awful. Like Johnny, I'm not sure what to say.

The only round I had the honor of debating Trevor was at KCKCC, where I got my a** kicked. Seriously good debater.

Condolences to his family and friends, who I don't know, and to Allsup especially.

I only debated Trevor once as well, but he was a fantastic debater and will be severely missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

i had the chance to debate with trevor at camp last summer---he was amazing, in more than just his debating skills. he was one of the nicest people i've ever met.

rest in peace.

THis really is a loss for our community. Trevor was such a bright kid and it's awful to see it end this way. I never got to tell trevor but I owe him many thanks. I had a fairly successful season my senior year and and I worked as hard as I did because I was just plain tired of losing to Trevor and Andrew. Rest in peace, and god bless Trevor.

This is a truly awful occurrence. Unfortunately, I never had the privilege of debating Trevor, but I really wished I did. I can, however, testify to the class he demonstrated out of round and his caring personality which was shortly communicated in my brief interactions. My heart goes out to all those much closer to him. I've had situations like this occur with my close relatives and I can honestly say that suicide--like a lot of other things--makes us all feel the most awkward mixture of feelings. Sadness. Bitterness that bleeds into near hatred. Confusion. Love. Desperation. I'm so sorry for all those undergoing the pain right now.

RIP Trevor. You would have been brilliant at the TOC.