Sign in to follow this  
Biscuit666

Explanation of Zizek

This pertains to the Zizek Kritik that was put out by GDI this year. I am very unfamiliar with Zizek's argument that we live in a fantasy and we have to traverse the fantasy in order to actually solve the crises at hand.

I plan on reading Conversations with Zizek, but I have some questions concerning this kritik.

1) Can you explain in common terms what it means that we are living in a fantasy?

2) What does it mean to 'traverse the fantasy'?

3) Is the ultimate goal to reach the Real?

4) What is an example of a 'TRAUMATIC FAR-REACHING CHANGE' that could cause result in actual progression?

• Upvote 1

It's interesting you mention this Biscuit. My latest blog entry on Jot by Jot actually concerns Zizek and his views on this subject. Granted my explanation in my blog is an oversimplification, but it is at least explained in more lay terms (and granted reading only 1 and a half zizek books in my life my knowledge is somewhat limited).

In brief:

The fantasy Zizek outlines is this idea that we live out certain things that we try to perceive as real. The idea is to realize it "to traverse" and break out of this. Zizek offers several different conclusions so it is hard to answer your question on point. The Lacanian route Zizek takes advocates breaking out of particular identities because when we do such a think we label them as subjects in need of something else which inevitable is going to cause a problem. In the context of debate this has often been implied as the plan using a specific solution to carry out a mandate, the problem is that the USFG will do whatever possible to carry out the plan based on how the aff has grounded its terms (for example, the poor...if the poor get aid through plan, if aid isn't decreasing poverty then killing them will in any attempt to carry out mandates of the plan while eliminating poverty). Yes, necessarily my characterization is off, but you asked for simple terms, so there you are.

• Upvote 1

Additionally, Jason Fixelle (who cut the GDI file and has a pretty good knowledge of Zizek) can be contacted through PM and is usually willing to give you a few pointers:

http://www.cross-x.com/vb/member.php?u=32765

We dont like it when you call her anything other then "Pretty Lady."

Guest fizelly27
We dont like it when you call her anything other then "Pretty Lady."

Rosenjew, you know only a select few have earned the privelage to call me "Pretty Lady". Don't endanger your status, I might kill you.

PM me if you need help. or PM Tommy or Alex, they are probably a lot smarter than I am.