Sign in to follow this  
Mr. White

Washington Judge

Hello,

I'm Robby White. I debated at Oak Harbor for four years, then two years at Whitman. I've taught at the WNDI a couple of times. Maybe you've heard of me.

I recently moved back to western washington and am interested in judging and helping out this upcoming season. Preferably for some money, being the poor college kid I am.

If you need some judges or some season long assistance, please keep me in mind.

Hey Robbie, nice to see you back on this side of the state. Now that I'm back at school at Western, I'm sure Mercer Island wouldn't mind hiring a quality judge again.

Please do hire him. Robbie White would be a vast improvement over the quality of judging MI has been subjecting the rest of the W. WA community to the last couple of years. Not that I have seen him judge, but I saw him as a debater a couple of times, and he is more knowledgable than the whole MI judging pool at most tourneys last year.

Please do hire him. Robbie White would be a vast improvement over the quality of judging MI has been subjecting the rest of the W. WA community to the last couple of years. Not that I have seen him judge, but I saw him as a debater a couple of times, and he is more knowledgable than the whole MI judging pool at most tourneys last year.

you must be joking.

• Downvote 2

No Dakota, I am not. I saw ballots for rounds I watched where one particular MI judge, and I won't name names out of kindness, but the judge had to be out of his depth or judging the wrong event. Granted, the WSHS kids could have played better to the particular judge, but his comments had a tendency to be contrary to the events of the round. In one nat quals round, this particular judge dropped Habiba and Zahra for "running their K like a DA" when they did no such thing - the aff team mistook the K for a DA and responded like it was a DA. (or perhaps they simply didn't know what a kritik was) In other words, he punished one team for the incompetence of the other. At least one of your judges was a travesty last year. That's not to say there aren't worse judges out there, but a judge who can't figure out what's going on to that extent shouldn't be judging CX, or should just tell people he's a lay judge (which I don't think he was) or an LD judge covering CX (Which I think is more likely).

Brett: Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Let's just relax; I don't want this to be a pissing contest or a question of who is better. That's not necessary. I just want to get back into the community (and maybe make some money) is all.

Brett: Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Let's just relax; I don't want this to be a pissing contest or a question of who is better. That's not necessary. I just want to get back into the community (and maybe make some money) is all.

agreed.

thanks

Yeah - sorry about the bitching. It goes to show that not only students get frustrated by judging. It was probably Helman's fault anyway. I am guessing it was an LD judge in the CX pool - I know that was going on there.

you must be joking.

I don't think he is, Dak. As far as policy judging is concerned, Mercer has supplied me and JWill. Even then, though, it's at Whitman, Auburn, Gonzaga, UPS and State. So quality judging from Mercer Island at local tournaments isn't really as good as it should be/could be. I'm just replying because I don't like being lumped in with the other Mercer judges Brett is talking about :)

That being said, there have been plenty of times where I've been supplied as a judge for Mercer Island locally and never given a ballot, not even a pushed ballot, while standing in the room, waiting for ballots. Me, I have no problems with this, I'm getting paid, I don't have to listen to a not awesome debate, I can scout other teams for Mercer Island, I get extra time to coach Mercer Island prior to debate programs.

If you are dissatisfied with judging in the local region, then band together with other local coaches and agree to start hiring judges instead of bringing volunteers. Someone with 2 or 3 years of HS experience going to Seattle U, UW, UPS, etc. still make better judges than someone with zero debate experience. Encourage tournaments to hire judges. Make a team book of judges throughout the year and use it as a scouting tool to help you compose strategies for the debates. Coach your teams about watching the judge in-round and using non-verbal cues in speeches (especially this one, saves speaker points :) ).

Holler, whoever doesnt hire Robby White is a mega-fool.

I'm also a poor college student at UPS with policy background who would love to be hired to judge at tournaments. Any contact info would be sweet.

mschrader@ups.edu

• Downvote 1