Sign in to follow this  
HxC Forensics

(weigh in) Octo bid tournaments

Which tournament (besides berkeley) would be the best to attend?

List of octo bid tourneys.

Emory University (GA)

Glenbrooks (IL)

Greenhill School (TX)

Harvard University (MA)

Montgomery Bell Academy (TN)

St. Mark's School (TX)

(we reside in California)

Edited by HxC Forensics

I think Harvard is the same weekend as Berkeley and MBA is invite only so those two probably are not the best options. I think it really depends on where you are in relation to the others because that will affect cost the most. Glenbrooks and Greenhill are early on in the year, I believe Emory comes later (like after Berkeley) and St Marks is also in the first semester. If you have a sweet strategy you think people won't be ready for early on in the year that might help you at the first semester tournaments, if you debate better towards the end of second semester and like to wait to see how arguments hash out over several debates than going to second semester tournaments would be advisable (on your list I think that only means Emory if you are going to Berkeley, but I may be wrong)

I think Harvard is the same weekend as Berkeley and MBA is invite only so those two probably are not the best options. I think it really depends on where you are in relation to the others because that will affect cost the most. Glenbrooks and Greenhill are early on in the year, I believe Emory comes later (like after Berkeley) and St Marks is also in the first semester. If you have a sweet strategy you think people won't be ready for early on in the year that might help you at the first semester tournaments, if you debate better towards the end of second semester and like to wait to see how arguments hash out over several debates than going to second semester tournaments would be advisable (on your list I think that only means Emory if you are going to Berkeley, but I may be wrong)

You are correct in that Harvard is the same weekend as Berkeley. Emory is in late January, between MBA and Berkeley/Harvard.

Greenhill is early in the year - in fact, you should look into registering ASAP, as it's the second weekend of September - and serves as a 'season opener' for most teams. If you feel like you're ready and can catch teams off-guard, go for it.

All the octos bid tournaments attract top-of-the-heap competition, so it's really a matter of choosing which are most convenient to attend.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Glenbrooks also by invite-only?

Technically, yes but really no. Contact either of the Glenbrooks coaches and they will send you an invitation. The earlier you ask the better.

But it does not register from a public-access site such as Joy of Tournaments.

They're all great tournaments, but MBA = awesome.

Besides an awesome tournament that has great judging, competition and runs extremely on-time, I think anyone whos been can vouch for the overall hospitality at the tournament. plus, even if the entry fee seems high, it's food included and the food was pretty decent (and the judges lounge = out of control).