Sign in to follow this  
DeCoach

Kansas schedule

Is a Kansas schedule shaping up? I checked on the state association website and only a few tournaments were listed.

Thanks in advance

Good day, Mr Hartney. I hope Cameron workshop went well.

The schedule on KSHSAA's website is highly suspect; usually, they don't collect and publish dates until coaches attend the rules meetings in August, so a "complete-ish" schedlue doesn't get posted until the first week of Sept.

Here's what I've collected so far (that might be of interest to you) but it doesn't cover Kansas City at all:

Sept 19-20 Washburn Rural

Sept 26-27 Derby

Oct 10-11 Wichita East (almost certain), and Coffeyville FKMHS

Nov 21-22 Winfield

Jan 16-17 is NOT our regional tournaments any longer; open weekend

hibbs/winfield

Good day, Mr Hartney. I hope Cameron workshop went well.

The schedule on KSHSAA's website is highly suspect; usually, they don't collect and publish dates until coaches attend the rules meetings in August, so a "complete-ish" schedlue doesn't get posted until the first week of Sept.

Here's what I've collected so far (that might be of interest to you) but it doesn't cover Kansas City at all:

Sept 19-20 Washburn Rural

Sept 26-27 Derby

Oct 10-11 Wichita East (almost certain), and Coffeyville FKMHS

Nov 21-22 Winfield

Jan 16-17 is NOT our regional tournaments any longer; open weekend

hibbs/winfield

Thanks; if Jan 16-17 is indeed open, some Kansas teams should consider coming to Norman for the OU tournament that weekend.

When is the Milo Springs tournament? My coach said that he was sending me to that tournament this year and that it is a very important tournament. Is it a DCI qualifier?

Gregg- would you post the link to the OSSAA schedule? i don't know how to search the internets for it, apparently.

Deskboy- i heard that Milo Springs is a four-round tournament on November 5th this year. But i heard that from my friend's brother-in-law, who knows the JV golf coach.

h/w

Gregg- would you post the link to the OSSAA schedule? i don't know how to search the internets for it, apparently.

Deskboy- i heard that Milo Springs is a four-round tournament on November 5th this year. But i heard that from my friend's brother-in-law, who knows the JV golf coach.

h/w

Heres the OSSAA link:

http://ossaa.com/forms/speech_dates_schedule.pdf

but it doesn't list OU's tournament since OU isn't a qualifier tournament (although is is sanctioned by OSSAA). Jackie Massey (OUs coach) is on cross-x as "SoonerDebate" and can be contacted that way.

KCKCC Oct 31st-Nov. 2nd (Friday/Saturday location yet to be determined, Sun on the KCKCC campus)

Speaking of milo, has anyone seen the college topic? Yowza!

chief

KCKCC Oct 31st-Nov. 2nd (Friday/Saturday location yet to be determined, Sun on the KCKCC campus)

quote]

Can someone tell me if there is some kind of 500 mile rule about GOING TO KCKCC, or is that just LEAVING Kansas?

Thanks.

Can someone tell me if there is some kind of 500 mile rule about GOING TO KCKCC, or is that just LEAVING Kansas?

Thanks.

As far as I know it only applies to kansas teams. So, you should have no problem because KSHSAA can't bar you from this tourney.

As far as I know it only applies to kansas teams. So, you should have no problem because KSHSAA can't bar you from this tourney.

You might look into this a little more. I don't know the answer, but I believe this was discussed last year, and it was determined that there is a 500 mile limit for coming into Kansas as well as leaving. And since KSHSAA has to sanction the tournament for Kansas kids to be involved, well then they kinda can bar you if they say so.

PLEASE do not take this as me trying to start an arguement!!! I'm tired of hearing that people are using my statements to reflect poorly on the people I care about. I'm only posting as a community service to tell you to look into it more.

• Upvote 1

You might look into this a little more. I don't know the answer, but I believe this was discussed last year, and it was determined that there is a 500 mile limit for coming into Kansas as well as leaving. And since KSHSAA has to sanction the tournament for Kansas kids to be involved, well then they kinda can bar you if they say so.

Ha, I believe you. Actually, your debaters are one of the reason I really hope that rule isn't true. I was at Zag Scholars with Leigha and Melanie. :)

And, I just want to go to that tournament.

But if you find out anymore about it can you let me know please? Thanks.

Phil is correct. Here's the relevant section:

http://www.kshsaa.org/School/PDF/Handbook.pdf

Article XIV, Section 2 - "If out-of-state schools are invited, only

those within 500 road miles of the border (perimeter) of the

state of Kansas may be included in their application."

I have seen some schools put together some creative Mapquests to get within 500 road miles of the state border (I think some folks were agonizingly close on Marquette HS in Wisconsin last year), but if you can't do that, the tournament isn't supposed to invite you.

Phil is correct. Here's the relevant section:

http://www.kshsaa.org/School/PDF/Handbook.pdf

Article XIV, Section 2 - "If out-of-state schools are invited, only

those within 500 road miles of the border (perimeter) of the

state of Kansas may be included in their application."

I stand corrected.

As far as the 500 mile rule is concerned, most tournaments really won't look into it if it seems reasonable. Lauren, I believe you're from a major metropolitan area in Texas (I'd refrain from saying which in these forums) but there are certainly tournaments near you Kansas teams can attend (St. Marks, Colleyville, Greenhill, Grapevine [though, good luck getting any Kansas team willing to travel that early]).

Likewise, I'm sure if you're creative you can get from your school to the border in 500ish. A very uncreative google map from the general metroplitan area to my hometown (10 miles north of the KS/OK border) gets you 573 and has all sorts of jagged lines, etc. Very do-able.

Also, if someone could post a more full schedule of tournaments, it'd be much apprciated. I'll be making a more concerted effort to judge while in Kansas this year. Sorry everyone.

Also, if someone could post a more full schedule of tournaments, it'd be much apprciated. I'll be making a more concerted effort to judge while in Kansas this year. Sorry everyone.

john, the link above provides a fairly extensive list of tournaments first semester. i'm sure that's not all of the tournaments, but all the major ones are there.

*am i reading that list right? EKNFL is september 20?

september

19-20 - washburn rural

26-27 - derby

october

3-4 - olathe east

3-4 - olathe northwest

3-4 - seaman

10-11 - manhattan

10-11 - olathe north

10-11 - wichita east

17-18 - blue valley

24-25 - blue valley north

november

7-8 - shawnee heights

14-15 - shawnee mission west

14-15 - newton

21-22 - st. thomas aquinas

21-22 - winfield

december

5-6 - lawrence

12-13 - west kansas nfl @ newton

12-13 - salina diocese cfl @ marysville

19-20 - state 4-speaker qualifier

january

9-10 - debate coaches invitational

23-24 - state championships

*this obviously isn't a complete list, just what i thought were notable

Edited by dhanson

As far as the 500 mile rule is concerned, most tournaments really won't look into it if it seems reasonable. Lauren, I believe you're from a major metropolitan area in Texas (I'd refrain from saying which in these forums) but there are certainly tournaments near you Kansas teams can attend (St. Marks, Colleyville, Greenhill, Grapevine [though, good luck getting any Kansas team willing to travel that early]).

John, I believe you are attaching me to the wrong Metropolitan area of Texas. And I'm curious why I shouldn't mention my location here, but just because, I won't.

Also, there's no way I can turn 700+ miles into less than 500 with creative maps, especially considering you only take one road all the way up. I tried though. :/

has this always been this way?

i'm not sure. i was just going off of what kshsaa's website said, which also said EKNFL was sept 20, which can't be right.

i'm not sure. i was just going off of what kshsaa's website said, which also said EKNFL was sept 20, which can't be right.

That is an EKNFL novice tournament, not our national qualifier.

i guess it doesn't make sense to me. teams no longer have the option to qualify to both national tournaments now.

i guess it doesn't make sense to me. teams no longer have the option to qualify to both national tournaments now.

who all from *WKNFL* is in the salina diocese cfl? salina?

Edited by dhanson

who all from SKNFL is in the salina diocese cfl? salina?

it's actually WKNFL, but this is going to be our first year doing CFL, but i know for a fact that all salina schools do it as well as fort scott...hays is the only west kansas school that isn't in wichita diocese.

it's actually WKNFL, but this is going to be our first year doing CFL, but i know for a fact that all salina schools do it as well as fort scott...hays is the only west kansas school that isn't in wichita diocese.

i don't think that all the cfl's are that weekend. i'm pretty sure salina central is the only school that is in both salina cfl and west kansas nfl.

i don't think that all the cfl's are that weekend. i'm pretty sure salina central is the only school that is in both salina cfl and west kansas nfl.

no..hays is also in salina diocese too. that's why it upsets me. i know for a fact they were 2 weeks apart last year. salina south and salina central don't compete in CFL. it's only the sacred heart squad i believe.