TheScuSpeaks

The cross-x Veepstakes Game

it would have been genius for obama to have been painting mccain as an elitist who is out of touch 2 months ago. his top economics advisor, who will probably be his treasury secretary, said the economy was fine and that we are a country of whiners. obama should have been all over the country hitting mccain on the economy. im happy he is doing it now, but i hardly think its genius that mccain walked into a horrible gaffe of not knowing how many places he owns and now, after all this time, after the polls tighten, and noone has any idea what obama's top priorities will be when he gets into office, he starts hitting mccain on the economy

Aha, but you see... Obama had a nice lead and allowed McCain to throw the first punch. See, if he dips in the polls in August, it isn't nearly as devastating as dipping in November, and now that McCain has criticized Obama's patriotism, his economic policy, and everything else, Obama can go in with all cannons firing, and no one can say he started the negativity.

Aha, but you see... Obama had a nice lead and allowed McCain to throw the first punch. See, if he dips in the polls in August, it isn't nearly as devastating as dipping in November, and now that McCain has criticized Obama's patriotism, his economic policy, and everything else, Obama can go in with all cannons firing, and no one can say he started the negativity.

My new picks

Obama:

1. Sen Jack Reed

2. Sen Joe Biden

3. Gen. Wesley Clark

4. Gov. Kathleen Sebelius

5. Gov. Bill Richardson

McCain:

1. Gov. Bobby Jindal

2. Rob Portman

3. Gov. Tim Pawlenty

4. Gov. Tom Ridge

5. Gov. Mitt Romney

6. Lord Jesus Christ (if he's available)

Edited by Fox Sans Socks

we arent celebrating it, it just makes it easier for us to understand why he doesnt think there is a problem with the economy

I think Obama needs to run on the campaign promise to give all POWs 7 mansions, I can be down with that.

Chet Edwards was vetted.

Huh, I never really took him that seriously as a choice.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12710.html

I think a very short, low media coverage announcement of an unknown like Edwards (and his sharing a last name of someone not politcally safe right now) would be a bad call.

My money is now on either Biden or Clinton. Or maybe some other known name.

All darkhorses seem unlikely at this point.

Chet Edwards was vetted.

Huh, I never really took him that seriously as a choice.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12710.html

I think a very short, low media coverage announcement of an unknown like Edwards (and his sharing a last name of someone not politcally safe right now) would be a bad call.

Does he add anything at all? I seriously doubt he'd even be able to deliver Texas... why would Obama even consider him?

Has anyone seen polling about the effect Clinton as VP would have in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida? I assume she would be a big asset in those 4 states, but I haven't seen any numbers.

No way Obama loses PA, regardless of the VP, unless he implodes big time. Biden could play to the FL crowd even better than Clinton (he really appeals to Jewish voters), but I'm skeptical of Obama's ability to win there even if he were to pick a Floridian. Ohio and Michigan are more interesting -- Michigan's really becoming a must-win for McCain, and Time has two sources within McCain's camp saying Romney's the VP. If Obama wins Michigan, McCain pretty much has to win Ohio, Florida, Colorado, Virginia, Indiana, North Carolina, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona, and two-out-of-three between Montana, North Dakota, and Alaska to stay afloat. Obama's up in MI right now, but his lead is waning, and McCain/Romney would play very well in the Great Lakes State (as in, I think McCain would get a bigger bump out of Romney than Obama would get out of Clinton, but it could be very close). Ohio and Indiana are both interesting as well -- if Obama wins Indiana, he'll probably win unless McCain gets Michigan. If Obama wins Ohio, he probably wins regardless.

Electoral math is so much fun.

I think Bill Richardson would actually do better in Florida than Clinton or Biden. He's hispanic, but he looks white, and has a "normal" name. It'd hurt McCain pretty badly if Obama could add more of a lead among hispanics, and having a fluent spanish speaker is a way to do that. It gives him a guy who has a lot of experience in Washington, and is an overall good guy.

My new picks

6. Lord Jesus Christ (if he's available)

Haven't you watched Colbert? Unlike previous support for Bush, God could be a swing vote this year. ;)

Obama's VP is Biden, called it yesterday, and all signs still point to him

McCain's VP is Romney. He really doesn't have any other shot at winning (Pawlenty won't flip Minnesota for McCain)

Huckabee and Chuck Norris will continue to give their support to McCain.

I say McCain will take Romney not because he wants him. In fact, I believe he hates Romney on a personal level and really wants Lieberman or Ridge. The GOP establishment, however, wants Romney because he so easily parrots their talking points and over the past few years McCain has been willing to bend over for the GOP establishment to become president.

I think McCain will go with Pawlenty, simply b/c lately he has gotten the media attention to not be so much of a nobody. Besides, McCain likes him(similar to how he would Ridge or Lieberman), but he has strong conservative cred(not to say for the best- I know Minnesotans who would vote Obama only if he takes Pawlenty.)

Well, if this McCain is a rich and out of touch and owns a lot of houses meme sticks, picking Romney would only add to that narrative.

I still think that Romney is probably the best choice for McCain, but not if this becomes a re-occuring line against him.

Charlie Crist is relatively poor for a major politician, and T-Paw has some sort of humble background... .

My final picks, along with where I ranked these people last week.

McCain:

1. Mitt Romney (1)

2. Charlie Crist (2)

3. Joe Lieberman (NR)

4. Rob Portman (4)

5. John Thune (3)

[dropping off: Mike Huckabee (5)]

Obama:

1. Joe Biden (NR)

2. Hillary Rodham Clinton (2)

3. Bill Richardson (1)

4. Wesley Clark (3)

5. Tim Kaine (4)

[dropping off: Evan Bayh (5)]

I'd also like to point out that I regret taking part in this. Sure, it's a topic of conversation, but much of that is media-driven. So much time is spent speculating and covering the backgrounds of those who won't be chosen, and that time should be spent informing the voters about issues of substance and where the candidates stand on them.

CNN has wall-to-wall coverage, it seems, on the veepstakes. They also were publicizing a poll that angered me just yesterday, showing Obama, McCain, and "not sure" adding up to 100%. Their panels pontificated on "which way those 11% will swing," as if they're all going to vote for McBama.

/cynical rant

EDIT: They also said "we're following every possible vice presidential candidate." Yeah, I'm sure.

If only we outsourced the hunt for bin Laden to CNN. I mean, they're everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Something Awful prank ordered a pizza to Joe Biden's house where all the reporters and live feeds are. Awesome.

EDIT: And in case anyone was wondering, it's still Biden. Damn these next few months are going to kick ass.

EDIT #2: Olbermann/NBC News: Sources say Bayh and Kaine were informed they are not VP pick. Verdict: Still Biden.

Edited by JohnnyD
nbc news update

Guests for Sunday TV news shows

By The Associated Press Associated Press Writer

Aug 22nd, 2008 | Guest lineup for the Sunday TV news shows:

———

ABC's "This Week" — David Axelrod, Obama campaign senior adviser; former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

———

CBS' "Face the Nation" — Govs. Kathleen Sebelius, D-Kan., and Ed Rendell, D-Pa.; Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Ill.

———

NBC's "Meet the Press" — Caroline Kennedy, co-chair, Obama's vice presidential search committee; House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif.

———

CNN's "Late Edition" — Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa.; Gov. Janet Napolitano, D-Ariz.; Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I.; Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C.; Terry McAuliffe, Clinton campaign chairman.

———

"Fox News Sunday" — Govs. Tim Kaine, D-Va., and Bill Ritter, D-Colo.; Robert Gibbs, Obama campaign spokesman.

my pick for who obama would most likely pick was Chet Edwards (you can go look, its on the front page) and i would feel pretty sweet if he got picked.

i love the chet edwards pick. he is moderate, serious, good with foreign policy and the first few days of the convention, instead of being hillary time, will be about everyone learning who he is