RoyersMWD

Nebraska 08-09

Milsouth will bring Lee/Robinson, Hagerty/Claussen, Snelling/Hargan, and Leach/Girl thats vp at least...

To LSW or KCKCC?

theyre different weekends dude. I think all those teams will be going to KcK as well save for Leach/Girl

damn, now I'm going to have to finish prepping for your hippie nonsense. I was hoping I could be lazy to start off the year. :(

lol. you live ten hours away and you kjnow that... but the question is.. how?

I'm willing to bet she talks to her brother on a semi-regular basis :-P

damn, now I'm going to have to finish prepping for your hippie nonsense. I was hoping I could be lazy to start off the year. :(

you still can, if you want. we don't mind. :)

I'm willing to bet she talks to her brother on a semi-regular basis :-P

Precisely.

But don't think living in Dallas means I'm not up on my Nebraska gossip/news, anyways. :)

Edited by Fishkiller
  • Upvote 1

you still can, if you want. we don't mind. :)

ok, I'll be sure to bring the time cube expando, then. (time cube jokes = always funny.)

lol. thats true. just dont do it.

but its almost as funny and nonsensical as james joyce!

but its almost as funny and nonsensical as james joyce!

maybe. or maybe it contains the answer to a riddle about the meaning of life.

It seems to have served us well.

That is true, it certainly has. Maybe you'll change my opinion on James Joyce. I'm actually looking forward to debating that case.

what have you read (or perhaps tried to read, if you're like me) by joyce? was it for a class? if so, how was it taught (what were you told/what did your class discussions say about the text)? what did you think the text "meant" (if anything) and what assumptions do you think your reading carried?

EDIT (disclaimer): fear not kiddies, i'm genuinely just trying to start a discussion i find interesting as a fan of literature. we're not terribly concerned with literary interpretation or criticism in affirmative rounds (i mean, we read some, but it's not really an issue. in any case, we're not gonna call you out on this cx discussion. you can feel free to try to call us out on it if you want...).

Edited by TLF

what have you read (or perhaps tried to read, if you're like me) by joyce? was it for a class? if so, how was it taught (what were you told/what did your class discussions say about the text)? what did you think the text "meant" (if anything) and what assumptions do you think your reading carried?

We're reading some earlier Joyce in my AP Lit class - just some short stories written before Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake. Our teacher had mentioned that Joyce "experimented with literature" in his later years, and mentioned Finnegan's Wake as an example. (Obviously, the two stories we read are nothing like Finnegan's Wake or Ulysses; we read "The Boarding House" and "Araby".) I was intrigued, so I tried to read it and epic failed.

I honestly didn't know what to expect when I started reading it. I couldn't understand any of it, so I did the next best thing and read some really generic literary criticism about it. If I have a lot of time, perhaps over the summer, I'll give Ulysses a go as it seems a little less daunting than Finnegan's Wake.

I promise to keep all cross-x discussion out of debate rounds. :P

Yeah, I dunno. We read most of the stories in Dubliners with an emphasis on The Dead in my extremely depressing Irish Modernism class about a year back.

We talked a lot about the theme of "paralysis." Most of the stories are about poooor and starving life in Ireland, and Joyce really dwells on the affects of Ireland's dismantled politics. He fled to France at about 20 and went into isolation, and then wrote tons about Ireland. Expect stream of consciousness and surprise endings.

Like I said, it was really depressing stuff. Though I am led to believe his short stories are nothing like the writing in something like Ulysses. Wouldn't know where to start.

Edited by joelfulton

we read 'counterparts' from dubliners for ap lit at city. the main consensus was just that it demonstrates how emotions are passed from one person to another and the dynamic between how people think about their situation and how they react to their situation. while this isn't exactly the heart of joyce's style, he still plays around with ambiguity quite a bit. this enhances the notion that his work is meant to be interpreted. what does that have to do with excess? i haven't exactly made up my mind yet...

Anyone watch the debate tonight?

I think this whole Ayers thing is completely annoying. The connection is tenuous, Ayers is a fixture of the Chicago political scene (not uniquely "Obama's friend"), and he's an educator and advocate for education now. But more than that, since when is being connected to a former 60s radical shameful? I mean, you can disagree with Weather's tactics, but their consciences seem pretty clean - they were genuinely trying to better society, and they did go out of their way to prevent unnecessary injury to human beings. If anything, people like Ayers, Rev. Wright, a community organizing past, etc. convince me that Obama has a broader understanding of politics (which I think is a good thing). He's a genuine middle ground, in that he has considered the radical left and has worked with diverse kinds of people (including the right) but finds himself more in a more moderate position.

Britt's right. Obama was six years old when Ayers was blowing up government buildings (which, given the circumstances, was awesome). Referring to Ayers as a terrorist is not only farcical, but even if he was a terrorist the McCain camp doesn't acknowledge the fact that he's a professor at Illinois now....

Hes coming to Lincoln this week I believe.

There is now a link to this page in your government file.