RoyersMWD

Nebraska 08-09

Congratulations to Ryan Kyriss from Norfolk H.S. for reaching the final round of the Wildcat Debate Workshop three week tournament, in addition to winning top speaker. Congrats!

Thanks. :) Hopefully this can translate into success during the real season. Nebraska debaters have been representing pretty well across various camps. Connor Hagerty from Millard South did very well at the 2wk camp tournament, debating very well against several teams that ended up in semifinals and finishing with a 3-3 record.

I'm really looking forward to this season. Should be fun. :) I hope you all can keep us updated about the festivities at NDI. I wish I could go there too. :(

• Downvote 1

We should do roll call for next year's circuit.

I can't guarantee that Lincoln High will have any varsity debaters, unfortunately, as our novices from last year are a little bit flaky. My best estimate is that we'll have one team to start the year, with a hope for two and a possibility of none. We have a debate class during school hours this year, though, which means we'll have a larger crop of novices than before.

How's it looking for everyone else?

Norfolk will have for sure some combination of Michael Garder, Dan Wilcox, Dan Fitzgerald, and myself. Not sure how the partners will end up working out since that is exclusively our coaches decision, but yay, this is the first time Norfolk's been able to field more than one varsity team in quite a while. :)

There's also a possibility that Sara and Josie will continue doing policy, but I'm not sure and haven't been in contact with them since last season.

Milsouth will have Me and David fo sho. With some combination of Connor, Big Al, and possibly others being pulled up sometime during the year.

• Downvote 1

Millard West will have the Scrubs on Varsity, and at least one novice team; hopefully three novice teams total.

let me be the first to say that judging by the quality of debate and discussion at the NDI, the NE novice circuit is gonna have some absolute killers this year. we've got a couple of kids here that are scary good for having only been debating a week.

I 100% agree, and I am super-excited for the Nebraska debate circuit. Not only are there some awesome novices, there are some returning kids who are making dramatic improvements. I predict a really competitive circuit, if not right away, then soon.

• Downvote 1

Sara mutha fuckin Williams will be back for sure. Her partner, Josie, fortunately will not.

That's definitely good news. And from now on, I'm only going to call her Sara Mothafuckin Williams.

Zach (Greg) Robinson and Billy (Devro) Rafael are returning. Brandon Smith is also returning, but we're not sure of his partner. Lev Nachman has made the switch from LD to Policy and Sam Raybine, who competed a few times last year, will also officially be on the team. In addition, all of our incoming novi are only offered LD or Policy, so we'll be adding some teams there.

I totally agree with the posts regarding camp. These kids are picking this up at a crazy rate. This season looks promising!! It's just unfortunate for Dana that his senior policy kids can't speed read. Looks like Westside will dominate yet again.

• Downvote 1

Zach (Greg) Robinson and Billy (Devro) Rafael are returning. Brandon Smith is also returning, but we're not sure of his partner. Lev Nachman has made the switch from LD to Policy and Sam Raybine, who competed a few times last year, will also officially be on the team. In addition, all of our incoming novi are only offered LD or Policy, so we'll be adding some teams there.

I totally agree with the posts regarding camp. These kids are picking this up at a crazy rate. This season looks promising!! It's just unfortunate for Dana that his senior policy kids can't speed read. Looks like Westside will dominate yet again.

Well, if last year was "domination" we really hope you do it again this year. BAM!!!

That being said, I think Nebraska debate is definitely on the upswing after a couple of down years. Good luck to everyone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

News from the NDI:

Congrats to David (MS) and Mike (MN) on winning the NDI tournament on a 6-1 decision (with the Salty Pirate) squirreling) over Ben (MN) and Ryan (MW). David and Mike were neg.

All of the instructors were extremely impressed with the growth everyone showed at the NDI, I can speak for all of us when I say that we're really looking forward to the circuit this year.

I feel really bad because I meant to find Ben (Wyoming) after the tournament and say goodbye and tell him to keep in touch. Does anyone have contact information for him?

• Downvote 1

Congrats to the NDI people.

On a similar note, any idea what the novice case limits will be for this year?

The novice case limits will be:

Cellulosic Ethanol

Brownfields

Renewable Portfolio Standards

Coal to Liquid

The main reason these were selected was based around the advantage areas, rather than the cases themselves. The choice between RPS and Cap'N Trade seemed like they allowed the same basic advantage debate so we choose the one that seemed to have better solvency.

Brownfields gives teams the chance to debate more systemic social issues, with the other choice being extending the Production Tax Credit to Indian Country. Since this was one of our camp cases all the teams from Nebraska were already exposed to it.

Cellulosic Ethanol gives some overlap with the college topic and lets teams debate food prices and ag policy.

Coal to Liquid is the marginally topical case, but a lot of the camp Affs are based around military usage which gives pretty clear hegemony advantages. The other option for this was Solar Power Satellites, but it is nice to give teams the chance to run an "outside the box" case and debate T on the novice level.

If you have any questions, let me know.

on a resolution with two variables (alternative energy and incentives), how exactly are these limits going to pare down the selection to just four cases? for example, there are multiple incentives that the affirmative could use as a solvency mechanism to increase the production of cellulosic ethanol. i'm not really sure how the research burden is as effectively lifted from the novices this year.

also, how are brownfields not very effectually topical?

on a resolution with two variables (alternative energy and incentives), how exactly are these limits going to pare down the selection to just four cases? for example, there are multiple incentives that the affirmative could use as a solvency mechanism to increase the production of cellulosic ethanol. i'm not really sure how the research burden is as effectively lifted from the novices this year.

also, how are brownfields not very effectually topical?

We make no determination about the topicality of any of these cases and encourage novices to run T. As far as the incentives aspect of the topic goes, 95% of the cases that came out of camps center around the energy mechanism rather than the incentive mechanism. We are more concerned with the advantage/impact debate rather than the solvency mechanism anyway.

There are only a few contextual solvency mechanisms for cellulosic ethanol and only one (maybe two) of those mechanisms are topical - at least from what I've seen thus far; I still have work to do.

And the effects topicality debate is going to be really fucked up this year no matter what.