Sign in to follow this  
JLB

08-09 Ga HS Novice Packet

What are the case areas/disads for this year's novice packet? Is it going to be available soon?

• Upvote 1

QFA. I would love to have the packet so I have time to prepare some lecture notes, etc [as I assume most teachers would love to for the same reason.]

However, i do know at the ENDI Middle School camp, they had a PTC aff, Saudi Oil DA, and Elections DA. Usually the GFCA packet and MS packet are similar.

• Upvote 1

I'll see what I can find out. I have quite honestly done as little thinking about policy as I possibly could this summer, so I hadn't even thought about it before now. (I have many areas of responsibility as a coach/officer, but coordinating things regarding the novice packet - thankfully - is not one of them.)

First tournament is in a month, and our first day of school is day after tomorrow - any word on the novice packet?

If it is the same as the middle school packet + topicality again, maybe that packet would help. Anyone who went to Pace/Emory's MS summer camp know the cases/disads in the MS packet?

First tournament is in a month, and our first day of school is day after tomorrow - any word on the novice packet?

If it is the same as the middle school packet + topicality again, maybe that packet would help. Anyone who went to Pace/Emory's MS summer camp know the cases/disads in the MS packet?

Saudi Oil DA was in the Pace packet with the PTC aff I mentioned above. They also had an Elections DA - but none of the MS'ers were running it at the tournament that I came in contact with.

Edited by Policy8806

Um, I was looking through the elections DA in preparation for teaching. Then i looked through the rules, and I just want to make sure; Are novices allowed to cut their own impact turns?

The rules do not explcitly say no, but the argument is that if they're researching their own arguments, they're clearly not on the packet level - meaning they should go up to JV.

I emailed a similar question to the GFCA President a couple days ago asking for a clarifaction.

The intent of the rule is to allow the debater to develop research skills. Thus arguments for/against case become the teaching tools. It is my interpretation that when a novice becomes that advanced they should move to JV. I would highly discourage this type of strategy because it would defeat the purpose of the novice packet.

The rules do not explcitly say no, but the argument is that if they're researching their own arguments, they're clearly not on the packet level - meaning they should go up to JV.

I emailed a similar question to the GFCA President a couple days ago asking for a clarifaction.

I would agree with Jeff, having been part of the council when this was developed. Also, if a debater can cut their own impact turns do they really need to be limited to the packet?

I would agree with Jeff, having been part of the council when this was developed. Also, if a debater can cut their own impact turns do they really need to be limited to the packet?

Ahem.

YEAAAAAAAHHH!

We have to remember what is the purpose of Novice Policy? Is it to win or to learn?

I would argue that 4 years ago, it was about winning and learning. I would also argue that winning usually was valued above learning. Coaches saw this as a problem... and probably noticed some patterns in novice - whoever had the better varsity/coaches, were winning more simply because they had evidence-- this was also the time in which camp evidence wasn't made available by organizations like the NDCA. Teams had to fight for this evidence. I would argue that the beginning of the Novice packet was to restructure the beginnings of debate around learning, rather than just winning.

Carrollton has a new website.

If you click on the GFCA link on the gaforensics site - you get there - and you click the files subheading/tab. And click on Novice ev! :D