Niloc

Cutting and Updating Kritiks

First off, kritik debaters are often described as being lazy people who just keep the same kritik files from year to year and never update. However, I know that legit kritik teams update and add to their files constantly. How do you update your k's? It seems to me that the largest literature base for kritiks come from books, each one hundreds of pages long. Do you read entire books, or are there a lot more kritikal articles floating around that I'm just not familiar about? I'm not usually a k debater, but for next year I want to cut a few legit kritiks that I constantly update. Thanks for all the help.

The largest pool of research is probably not books, but actually articles. Articles have a higher turnover rate, and are often more specific in their topic of analysis than are books. Constant searches about your K in the relevant databases will constantly turn up new research that is being published. Law reviews and journal articles are like gold.

First off, kritik debaters are often described as being lazy people who just keep the same kritik files from year to year and never update. However, I know that legit kritik teams update and add to their files constantly. How do you update your k's? It seems to me that the largest literature base for kritiks come from books, each one hundreds of pages long. Do you read entire books, or are there a lot more kritikal articles floating around that I'm just not familiar about? I'm not usually a k debater, but for next year I want to cut a few legit kritiks that I constantly update. Thanks for all the help.

Critiques are not "updated" like politics scenarios. If a new book comes out the week before the TOC, yea, it would be a great idea to cut it. However, that doesn't happen too often. Don't try and cut a "few" critiques. You want one or two that you know inside and out. Sure you may win with 5 different ones at instate tournaments or what not, but if you have 5, you certainly don't know them all really well and intricately.

Books are underrated -- at least for the authors that I read. Articles are great, but they don't always go into a lot of depth. For Heidegger, I had to read three books to get an understanding of what he argues (not the normal "CALCULATION BAD JUDGE").

Oh, I will add:

Good K debaters aren't lazy -- there is a HUGE upstart cost of learning an author very well. Additionally, most "K" debaters don't go for it every round -- they are well rounded and go for whatever position is mishandled by the 1AR (and obviously has enough offense in the argument to win).

Thank you, I obviously understand that you don't "update" critiques like politix scenarios. :) However, I realize that K debaters usually "add to" their existing critiques. I just wanted a place to start.

Focus on topic specific links. Googling your K author and some key words from a case or the resolution often produces some of the best cards.

do your updates post hitting new 2ac args. reading all the latest articles and books is ideal and great but the most important updating is after you've encountered either a new articles that is responsive to your criticism online, or you've hit a new 2ac arg. most k debaters haven't exhausted all of the old lit on their kritiks, let alone keeping track of all the new ones. but the easy way to be semi-up-to-date in terms of new articles/books coming out is checking journals, a lot of which are on project muse. and i totally disagree with the "books are underrated" arg- yes, most of your specific links come from online journals and articles, but a lot of the better impact ev, alt solvency, and explanations in terms of the author's theories comes from books.

When you say update I recommend not just updating your K every now and then, constantly have a GOOD link story to EVERY aff on the topic (this is a chore but pays off enormously), this obviously means you'll have to be researching your author(s) and will find new updates and also better evidence. Is there a specific author you are looking at?